Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been riding and modding my 00' SV650 since '04, I love it to death but am getting the bug to try something new. I've pretty much narrowed my choices down to the two listed above. Any opinions or first hand experiences with these two bikes would be greatly appreciated!

·
SV Hadder
10,486 Posts
do you want torque and 110 hp or do you want a little less torque and 150+ hp?

·
Registered
141 Posts
I think they are two different types of bikes.. i don't know from experience, so maybe my vote won't count... however, i almost bought an 07 Z1000 before i got the sv650, but it sold a week before i could get set up financially.. the Z1000 is a sick looking bike, especially if you get rid of the ugly stock exhaust!

However, my next option was a new 06 SV1000S (which is still sitting on the showroom floor brand new now). But they were aksing too much for an older bike even though it was new.

So.. my opinion.. looks = Z1000, but the v-twin engine would be amazing in a 1000cc, for me, i don't think i could ever go back to an I4, so th sv1000 would do it for me.. but that's just me, both bikes are very nice! If you are looking at the S version of the sv1000, it will be better on the freeway than the Z1000 too

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would have to say torque. I was pretty much dead set on picking up a leftover '07 SV1000 until I stumbled upon an similiar year Z1000 at the dealer for close to the same price, I sat on it and it got me thinking...I hate it when that happens!

·
Registered
647 Posts
yea the sv1000 and its torque put you in your own little world. take the sv1000 out for a test ride...that will make up your mind :)

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
do you want torque and 110 hp or do you want a little less torque and 150+ hp?
The Z1000 only has ~120hp.

They're essentially the same (type of) bike. One has torque, the other has a high-revving inline-4 and better looks (this is open to opinion).

The Z1000 is a little more 'hooligan' and great for around-town troublesome riding (not to mention sounds absolutely orgasm-inducing with a Leo Vince exhaust). The SV1000 is better for more mainstream commuting/touring (plus you'll still have us crazy folk to pick on :p)

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Get the Z..the SV1K sucks...LOL

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Glad I could help. ;D

·
Registered
7,586 Posts
After the Sv650, I got a Z. I didn't want the heavier 2nd gen Z, plus I liked the look and the way I fit on the 1st gen(price also came to play).

I never rode a SV1000. But I asked those that owned them for their opinion and they told me to not get one.

Torque? Whatever, it's just numbers on paper. This isn't a p1ssing contest. The first thing I noticed when I first took a Z1000 for a test ride was how smooth it was. It accelerates no matter what gear you're in without any flat spots. Comfortable to ride long or short trips. If I rode the bike before I bought the SV650 years ago, I would've gotten the Z instead.

You can get a 1st gen(03-06) fairly priced. I searched for mine for almost a year. 2,500 mi, scorpion exhaust, pazzo levers for $4500. EvilB has the 2nd gen, I'm sure he'll chime in soon.

·
Registered
5,306 Posts
I would get SV1000 if you're gonna use it on the street.
lower weight
more usable power

I'm bored on big I4, I love banging the gears and not being worried about po-po

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
How did you know Enrico?

The Z is significantly faster than the SV1k, if that matters to you. They make 125hp out of hte box and are easily pushed up into 135-140hp. The styling is significantly better to me and most other people. The only real decision to make is how do you like your power delivery? The Z is not as high strung I-4 like most would think. It redlines at 11k. Its not a 600cc bike. Passing on the highway just requires a roll of hte throttle in 6th gear (and you quickly pass 100mph unknowingly). Exhaust note would most likely be the last decision to make.

Its a fair amount more comfortable too (unless you're talking about a naked SV1k)

Note: I have ridden both.

·
Registered
7,586 Posts
Evil B is right. It's not high strung. If you want it to move, believe me it will move. It has low and mid power. If you want it up hi, then just do a zx9 cam swap. I'm happy with how my bike is set up. I have a full yosh system in the closet waiting for me to stop procrastinating as well as a power commander. Do I really need them? No, but I got a good enough price.

Usable power on the street? Every bike has useable power. A 1000rr has useable power in 1st gear, A vespa 50 has more all around useable power than a sv650 on the street so that discussion is now null and void.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Actually Mike..I would suggest you try the Portal..for an honest opinion of the SV1K. The problem with asking about the 1000, on a predominantly 650 based board, you get a pretty biased point of view. The Portal may also have more people that have ridden both bikes and give a more fair comparison.

Sure, there are a couple 650 owners here that have bought the 1000 too, and can offer one vs the other opinion. Many had the 650 first though, and usually think the 1000 is going to be a just as easy to throw around bike, just with more power..which is obviously not the case.

Its funny..you ask 100 people here which they like more, and you get the 650 as the majority.

You ask the same question on the portal, and the 1000 is the majority.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
If I was getting another bike, then I would get something "different". Which means I would not get the SV 1000. For me, I would be looking for a Honda 919.

·
Registered
129 Posts
As a proud SV1000S owner, I'd say go for it.....around town you're king.....tons of torque right off idle speed.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Maybe it's just me and I realize the SV1000S isn't a superbike, but the Z1000 looks more comparable to the SV1000N as far as riding position goes. I love my SV1000S and only wish it was sportier, which is why I have upgraded the suspension with GSXR parts. I love the torque and can easily put in a 500 mile day.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts