Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has been discussed before I'm sure, but tech progresses quickly...

This is what I want:
  • Budget
  • Compact
  • Don't need frilly features
  • Input for input from 'lipstick camera'

that's it. also want to get a remote lipstick camera to mount on various places of the motorcycle.
i want this very badly. ;D

also would appreciate opinions on miniDV vs. MPEG4

There's this camera (Samsung SCX105L MPEG4 Sports Camcorder): (~$450)

but it's MPEG4 and has a crappy battery.

what is your favorite
what have you tried
pictures?
opinions?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I read someplace that the MiniDV's dont take the vibs for the bike well, they will start to cut out and stuff.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Only experience I can pass on is with a MiniDV using the tank gas ring type mount. With my SV1k it did have some vibration issues when on the gas, especially down low. We tried the same setup on two SV650s though and had zero issues. The 650 revs out much more smoothly. The camera has even been in a lowside incident and still continues to work just fine.

I would like the same type setup you are talking about. #1 for the obvious fact that I'm filming and look guilty as sin before I even start the bike. #2 variable angles to shoot from.

One other feature that would be nice is a audio input so that you can mount a decent mic in your desired postion.

If you come up with something affordable please pass it on. :)

·
Registered
284 Posts
I work at best buy so I know a little bit about cameras. The Samsung is nice but can only record onto SD memory cards. A 1 gigabyte SD card (about $80) will hold around 20 minutes of video in high quality mode. I don't think it has a zoom ability nor does it have a light.

I suggest something like the Panasonic PV-GS31. Better quality and longer recordings plus way cheaper at around $350. 26x optical zoom is also great for a camera in that price range and the Panasonics seem to hold up really well in terms of durability. It also has a light and can connect to your computer with firewire (much faster) or USB 2.0. If you have a larger budget let me know and I'll throw some other options at you.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...CategoryId=pcmcat21300050021&id=1099390045613

However if you want the pen camera, that Samsung is the way to go.

P.S. The panasonic is damn tiny... not quite so much as the Samsung though...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Here's a nice little set-up almost identical to mine. http://www.cycleforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=02df5fcd34b2c55e8d97c1999b73a529&threadid=195019

I have the Canon ZR45. It's not as compact as I was hoping, but it performs awesome. The MiniDV has no problems be stowed in the tank bag and being driven around for 200 miles a day through the Dragon or anywhere else. I got some great footage with it. My only problem (this year at the Rally) was having the battery die for my helmet cam (not the video camera itself.) I bought at 8 hour battery off ebay and had no issues with it. 8)

Mike, did you check with Misko on his setup? Mine is from www.helmetcamera.com (480 line resolution, I believe.) There are a few others out there though I'm not sure how they compare.

I chose the Canon at the time because of it's input, capabilities, and price. Also the guy at helmetcamera.com guaranteed the remote on button would work with the Canon. I was also looking at a Panasonic at the time because of it's size. PM me if you have any specific questions.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
looks like the Panasonic PV-GS31 is only around $300 now with rebate.

But it doesn't look like I can hook a pen camera onto it. no good AV inputs that I can see. that will be a priority.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
is it possible to get a cheaper digital recorder. i don't really need the built in lense and everything. just something i can plug the bullet cam into and have it record the audio/visual onto some kind of medium.

·
Registered
141 Posts
yellow650 said:
looks like the Panasonic PV-GS31 is only around $300 now with rebate.

But it doesn't look like I can hook a pen camera onto it.  no good AV inputs that I can see.  that will be a priority.
That's the one I have, so does Rugby guy. I'll just say it's tough little unit. Hard to beat for the price

·
Registered
198 Posts
Bang for the buck, MiniDV is still the way to go. I use a Sony DCR-HC30 in a tank bag or under the rear seat, and a lipstick "helmetcamera" remote cam. There have been no issues with excessive vibration. Definitely get a setup with a mic, though I have some wind noise problems depending on how I shield the microphone.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hey zip
is there a video in for a helmet cam and another line in for an external mic??

·
Registered
141 Posts
yellow650 said:
hey zip
is there a video in for a helmet cam and another line in for an external mic??
I think the PV-GS35 has those abilities,not mine the Pv-GS31

I'll dig through the manual and find out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.