Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to get a new rear tire for my 2000 sv650s, when i called the shop to get a quote on some tires.. they said that both front and back tires have to be the same brand.

Is this true? does it have to be? is there a reason why they recommend this?

right now i have dunlop sportmax in the front and bridgstone bt014's in the rear.

TIA

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I would go with the same brand. Not sure if you HAVE to or not, but defiantly recommended. I love my PP 2ct by the way.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
As long as their the same type and the right size you'll be fine, I know people who run really sticky tires on the front and dual compounds on the back, and people who run different brands of the same type with no problem. It's all about finding your favorite combo, one your comfortable with and confident in.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sorry for being a noob.. but this is only my first year... if I wanted to get the pilot road 1or2 or the conti road attack.. is that the same type as my dunlop?

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
K2,

As a general rule you want a stickier tire on the front if you are running mismatched tires or compounds. You do not want a stickier tire on the rear. The reason for this is because if the rear is stickier and you push it hard enough you will wash your front end out causing a crash that will quite possibly end much worse then a simple lowside. Also if the rear breaks loose and you know how to react you will go with it until it hooks back up which usually won't result in a crash at all. So... no they do not need to be the same but a sticker tire on the front is idea if they are not the same.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts