Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats what? i dont know how to tell the difference? someone please explain this to me.

·
Registered
202 Posts
the way i think of it is if you are turning right and you fall to the right that is a lowside. If you are turning to the right and you end up FLYING to the left that is a highside. A highside is normally when the tires lose grip and you start to fall into the turn, then the tire catches grip and violently flings the bike straight up and the rider to the opposite side of the initial turn in. Of course there will be crazy accidents that would break the norm.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK. so the highsides are the fun ones to watch on video...and the lowsides are the ones you genreally walk away from!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes, highsides are fun to watch....you just don't EVER want to have one. I lowsided in a Friday practice, and scuffed my leathers and roasted a footpeg. Highsided Sunday afternoon and after waking up in the infield care center, I spent the day at Concord Hospital's E.R. Not fun, for sure. Toasted a whole rear set, broken body work, smashed screen, lever, and destroyed my Arai.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Yeah, high sides are no fun. Your doing a 100 when you high side, now your doing 110 in the air. But low sides aren't any fun either :eek:

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
Lowside - sliding on the pavement kinda like sliding into 2nd base but on assault at 45mph.
Highside - being ejected or catapulted off and over the bike and landing 10-40 feet away usually on your back while the bike tumbles and somersaults out of controll down the road.

Lowsides are better for the bike but worst for you in the end. Highsides always make the high light real on 2 Wheel Tuesday. :)

·
Registered
453 Posts
Man Ive seen some nasty highsides through the years of watching racing. I remember one where the guy came down on his forehead, he got up but it took him a long time. Either way when you crash on a bike its gonna hurt.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Highsides SUCK! Broken bones, loss of memory, sore from the many tumbles, hospital bills.

Lowsides are just an inconvenience(as long as there's nothing to slide into). Have had two so far and in both cases I've found myself sliding along the asphalt thinking "Well this isn't so bad" and "I wish this sliding would end so I can see how bad the bike is". I was in full leathers in both cases. Without the leathers.... well, I don't even wanna think about it!

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
rivited said:
Highsides SUCK! Broken bones, loss of memory, sore from the many tumbles, hospital bills.

Lowsides are just an inconvenience(as long as there's nothing to slide into). Have had two so far and in both cases I've found myself sliding along the asphalt thinking "Well this isn't so bad" and "I wish this sliding would end so I can see how bad the bike is". I was in full leathers in both cases. Without the leathers.... well, I don't even wanna think about it!
yup, I've has 2 lowsides, one in an intersection, I didn't slide at all, just ended up sitting in the road, and my SV at he curb, the other, I was going fast, but luckily it was on wet grass, slid 150+ feet, it was almost like fun, a bit of grass stain on my Areostitch, saddlebags acted as frame slider, no damage except a slight scratch on my headlamp trim ring

BUT , it did happen quick, and I learned a lesson the cheap way, if it were pavement I wouldn't have been so lucky

·
Registered
35 Posts
I heard a racer say once...something like this....
lowside ~ $200 per horizontal rotation
Highside ~ $1000 per vertical rotation
all costs quoted are approximate, actual cost may vary by user.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts