Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
here's one for ya.

recently got a new chain and sprocket set-up from motorcycle superstore less than 30 days ago. the chain was a standard DID 525 o-ring roller chain. most of my riding has been regular commuting to and from work and probably 2 more "spirited" rides since throwing everything on and i dont even think i had put 500 miles on them yet.

one of the more aggresive rides was yesterday and everything went fine. when we stopped to get gas one of the guys i was riding with let me know that he could hear my chain grinding when coasting. i checked it out and found that a few links were frozen. got home and cleaned, lubed, and tightened my chain to spec since the frozen links freed up and everything was rotating nice and smooth.

my fiancee' was coming back from seattle this afternoon so i decided to go for a little spin before i went to pick her up. there is a ninety degree left hand turn that i like about 4 miles from the house so i get there and lean in, get on the throttle coming out of the turn, i hear a snap and the engine revs. first thing i checked was my clutch for fear that somehow my chain had hopped off and busted the pushrod. that was all good so i go to inspect the damage. when i looked over the chain i noticed that all of the links were still fine, but the master link was nowhere to be found.

i walked home, picked up another chain from cycle gear (orbit 525 x-ring this time), picked up my fiance, then stopped where the bike was stuck to replace the chain since i had everything in the truck. when i took the sprocket cover off i found the master link sitting in the bottom of it. the clip that held it on was snapped and the link that has the rivets was bent. i tried to get some pictures but they wont upload to photobucket. replaced the chain and rode home.

i think i got pretty lucky considering what happened. im going to call MC superstore and share what happened and hopefully try to get my money back. i would think i busted chain would be grounds enough to ask for a refund, yes?

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Get a rivet style link instead of a clip one. I just ordered a new chain for my bike and after doing some research I found many, many, many stories of the clip style master links failing. I bit the bullet and bought a chain riveter and a proper rivet link. $100 for a riveter may seem a bit steep for a startup cost, but the additional security of a riveted link was well worth it to me.

EDIT: Here's a forum discussion about rivets versus clips. http://www.fireblades.org/forums/honda-fireblade/58868-do-you-use-clip-master-link-chain.html Do a quick Google search and you'll see that the general consensus from any discussion I've found thus far for road bikes is to use the rivet style.

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
i would think i busted chain would be grounds enough to ask for a refund, yes?
From your description, the master link failed...not the chain. And master links pretty much can only fail due to incorrect installation. MSS might try to help you out because they are a reputable store and very aware of public opinions regardless of who might be at fault. But.....chains are pretty darn simple things that will NOT fail if installed correctly, so please try to not blame someone or thing who is not at fault. JMHO.

since throwing everything on
Perhaps the rivets weren't set properly during the throwing?

Edit: Oh...I see you used a clip type link? Was it installed the right way? And absolutely agree with Max that clips are iffy on even the 650 and only rivet types should be used for a dependable installation. (there ARE people who have successfully used clip types on these bikes for many, many miles. Something didn't go right with this one)

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the clip was installed correctly, with the closed end going in the direction of the chain's forward rotation and snapped all the way down securely.

it was my first try with a snap master link, and it looks like it will be by last. don't want to push my luck any farther than i have been the past few weeks riding the "faulty" one. maybe something was just faulty since the clip was snapped in half, or perhaps the whopping 70 something horses of the sv was just too much for it...

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Clip links are no weaker than rivet links because the clip is not a stressed member, the outer plate is. The purposes of the clip is to simply hold the outer plate on.

You just need to check the clip periodically. Lay a dot of silicone over the clip for added security or skip the clip all together and use safety wire instead.

Or... get a rivet link.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Out of curiosity, if the clip was installed correctly could it fail easier if the chain was misaligned? Seems like if the front and rear sprockets were off that it could produce some lateral stress and that the clip might be the weakest link. Thoughts?

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Out of curiosity, if the clip was installed correctly could it fail easier if the chain was misaligned? Seems like if the front and rear sprockets were off that it could produce some lateral stress and that the clip might be the weakest link. Thoughts?
i thought the same thing, but when i checked the alignment before i installed the new one, everything checked out. thats one thing that i double and triple check before buttoning everything up since a misaligned axle could lead to these types of things happening.

if motorcycle superstore can help me out it would be great, but if they cant it's understandable. really it was my fault for just trying to save a buck. excellent example of getting what you pay for. thanks for all the input.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I almost got my foot removed when my buddys clip style chain link failed in ft. of me........his chain flew back & just missed me @ 60mph.

ONLY rivet style for my bike!

·
Registered
768 Posts
I almost got my foot removed when my buddys clip style chain link failed in ft. of me........his chain flew back & just missed me @ 60mph.

ONLY rivet style for my bike!
Lucky for you. I've seen some pics and it is not something I want to ever experience hence why I wet with rivet too.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Hmm all these horror stories on clip links always surprise me. Back in the day before technology got better its all people used. I personally used them and my friend uses them on his brutale. Pluses are to be able to remove and clean the chain easier (just make sure to replace the clip and its faster than riveting). I personally rivet mine cause I don't work on my bike if I have to rush it and its always good to have a little peace of mind. Slow work is better than rushed. I don't think its as common to fail as people say as it is user installation error. I am not saying your freak of nature occurrence was user error, but most of the time people out the clip on opposite way and not clip it fully on. My friend always reinforces it with some sort of metal thing like the stuff your bread loaf is twisted with.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Another option...

http://i931.photobucket.com/albums/ad152/dcasti4523/MasterLink1.jpg[/IMG

Or

[url]http://www.wmrra.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=913&stc=1&d=1180627067[/url]
(borrowed from [url]http://www.wmrra.com/forums/showthread.php?3429-Safety-wiring-your-quot-clip-type-master-link-quot/page2[/url])

But if the clip happens to BREAK for some odd reason, that method may not help as much.[/quote]

Do you use a clip link on your race bike? Do a lot of guys use them? I guess I would have just assumed that everyone would use the riveted link for racing... Though I didn't think about frequent gearing changes for different tracks, as was mentioned in your second link.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Yes, I use a clip on my race bike, for no other reason than that's what came with it. I don't really have a preference one way or the other, though clip links are obv. quicker & easier.

Unless you go up or down drastically and require a longer or shorter chain, gearing changes don't normally require pulling off the chain.

I suppose if I were going to a lot more tracks with drastically different gearing, I'd tend toward a clip link though.... but with the relatively wide power band of the SV I don't think many of us need to go too far away from stock gearing which is what I run (15/45)

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
Yes, I use a clip on my race bike, for no other reason than that's what came with it. I don't really have a preference one way or the other, though clip links are obv. quicker & easier.

Unless you go up or down drastically and require a longer or shorter chain, gearing changes don't normally require pulling off the chain.

I suppose if I were going to a lot more tracks with drastically different gearing, I'd tend toward a clip link though.... but with the relatively wide power band of the SV I don't think many of us need to go too far away from stock gearing which is what I run (15/45)

I always ran a clip link on my SV for that reason, easy to swap from my 112link 16/46 setup to my 116link 16/54 setup

never had a problem either

almost all horror stories I've heard were improperly installed, both clip and rivit

·
Registered
1,617 Posts

Thanks!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts