Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Standard mount full m4 exhaust with carbon can for 631
power commander III for 270
Installation of every thing + dyno before and after for 300.

Total $1200

That good?...I really didn?t have much to say about dyno price there is only 2 dyno shops within like 50 miles of my house. But the guy included installation and 2 tests with an indoor dyno.

The other guy I went too was going to do it outside in 30-degree air and only 1 test for 1500 total.

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
whiteav6 said:
i think you got ripped on installation + dyno..

you could of installed it your self .
He could have done the work himself but some people just don't want to be bothered.

I think you got a fair price.

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
Typically heres my rule when utilizing shops...

If you buy the parts from them, youre most likely paying more then you could get them for say, online.  So in turn, they need to give some discount to labor related costs to help offset this.  99% of the time, they go for it.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
why ask after the fact? are you going to go back and tell them some guys on a sv board said their price was too high and you want money back?

you should have done your homework before hand so you knew what the market price was and how much your shop compared. asking after the fact is pointless.

·
Registered
7,586 Posts
don't know too much about dyno-ing except from what I read here. Avereage is between $60-70 a run. Shop work by me runs between 65-$75. ppl here have posted they've installed the M4 in about a half hour and the pcommander in about the same..... so lets just say and hour each for the shop's sake.

Labor - $150
Dyno runs- $140
+ your $900 for parts = $1,190

You got a decent price for parts, but I still feel the labor charge was extra since they charged you 2 hours for 1 hour's worth of work.

If you have a garage, invest in some tools, shop manual for your specific bike(can be downloaded free on sv650.org) and start doing work yourself. A mechanic is not smarter than you, may have the experience, but not smarter.

Tools had run me under $100 so far and aside from a lift, I don't feel I need anything else.

Some work that I'll be doing through the winter will just be brought in to be checked up on at the shop in the beginning of the season when my insurance starts back up.

·
Registered
92 Posts
my local shop quoted me 730
for M4 Full (standard)
Custom ECU Map
Dyno
SV1000 Snorkel
K&N
and doing the TPS thing while they had it.

I think they quoted me a great price. imo.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Do you notice a significant performance difference (other than the sound)? If not, you got robbed, blindly. If you do notice a difference on the dyno, how much was it worth?

·
Registered
629 Posts
Full M4 Carbon with Stainless I found for around $630 also no matter where I searched..ebay and vendors along with phone calls and emails. The M4 Full carbon with titanium I found for $682 shipped which is what I got so yes I think you got a fair price on the M4 Full Carbon with stainless midpipe.

PCIII sounds about right on price I think I have seen them as cheap as $256 but did not include shipping. It took me a total of 1 hour to install exhaust just because I like to take my time which included the 5 minutes it took to take the stock exhaust off. If I had it to do over I could have the exhaust installed in 30 minutes or less. Custom Dyno and Map I say $120.

All in all not too bad a deal, they have to make money off you somewhere and that usually comes from labor. Not to bad though.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
stranger said:
why ask after the fact? are you going to go back and tell them some guys on a sv board said their price was too high and you want money back?

you should have done your homework before hand so you knew what the market price was and how much your shop compared. asking after the fact is pointless.
Sorry, my post is misleading. I haven?t bought any thing from the guy yet. I did however bought exhaust and PCIII online (cheapest I could find) to cut tax and dealer prices. The real question was about the dyno. Since there aren?t many shops around here I was basically at the mercy of the guy. I was wondering what was the norm. Seems like I am getting a fair deal so Ill go ahead and buy it from the guy.

Thanks for all the input every one.

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
You can get dyno runs done for about $30. If you have ANY mechanical ability, just do it yourself. The M4 exhaust is well-made, and I've never heard anyone having difficulty with fit. It doesn't sound like he's doing any tuning for you, just the install of the PCIII and the exhaust. If you were near me, I'd do it for you for $100 and save you money. Actually, I'd probably do it for a six-pack, but you get the point. IT'S EASY!

Where are you? Maybe someone on here is close and willing to help you out?

For your $200+ dollars (just for the install), you could get a set of new tires or pay for a trackday.

Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I live 20 mi south of York PA. And the guy asked to talk to me face to face before he dynos it to find out what my riding style is to give me power in that area I like to ride. So I do belive the guy will do it properly. Its a shame I dont live in a big motorcycle city (instead of in the boonies)...im sure dyno shops are compeditive....

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
I think there's a couple guys out that way. There's got to be someone nearby that will be willing to help.

Either way, I'd still do the work myself if you have any wrenching skills at all, and then have your guy tune it. You'll probably still save a couple hundred bucks. That would be more than enough for fork springs (sonic springs) and a GSXR shock (from ebay) maybe?

What's the worst that will happen? You have to take it to your guy anyway. The exhaust is excessively easy, and if I'm not mistaken, I think the PCIII is just plug and play. You'll get a lot of satisfaction by doing it yourself, too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts