Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning, I decided to drive my car to work. The drive consisted of pretty normal stop-and-go traffic for an hour and a half. Half-way through my commute, however, I was rear-ended by a semi (slow speed). The driver was distracted, and didn't brake fast enough. At any rate, we both pulled over to the shoulder and got out of our vehicles.

The damage to my bumper was minimal. The paint was gouged all the way to the plastic in four spots (from bolts on his bumper), and it looked like it was going to be maybe ~$300-400 to fix. I should note that I just took the 30-day tags off of the car on Saturday, so it is pretty new to me. I asked the truck driver if he had insurance and he got a bad look on his face.

I'm not sure how it all works, but I'm sure an accident isn't a good thing for a career truck driver. I told him I would be willing to settle, but only with appropriate compensation. He came back with $1,000.00 cash, handed it to me, went back to his truck, and left.

Now I feel somewhat guilty. Was it a dick move to take all $1000? I realize that is about what he makes in a week (I'm not rich myself). Should I have called HWP and let insurance sort it out?

·
BANNED!!!
4,805 Posts
This story is all sorts of weird.

A career truck driver who appears to not have any insurance!? Wtf. Doesn't make sense...I don't know how it works but I figured to be getting paid to drive a truck you'd be required to have insurance.

Maybe it's not that, maybe it's more or less the disciplinary action he'd face from his company from a boneheaded move like that.

In any event, you shouldn't feel guilty. You don't know how much it will cost to fix it. Post up when you get an estimate.

·
Registered
4,859 Posts
He probably would have paid a heck of a lot more than that if the accident had been called in. As long as you're not injured and you know the damage is a simple bumper skin, I'd say you did him a favor. You'll get your new car fixed and have a little money to show for your hassle, and he won't have a 100% at fault accident on his professional record. If he was trying to scam you I'd be concerned, but it sounded like he just wanted to safeguard his career and wasn't trying to screw you in the process.

·
Premium Member
2,566 Posts
I think you did him a favor. CDL drivers are pretty paranoid about at-fault accidents on their profile.

You should have told him to make it $2K cause you got mouths to feed, and your neck is feeling sore yo! :)

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright, thanks guys. I feel less guilty now ;D

I work 8-5 M-F and have a 67 mile commute each way, so it might be a while til I get an estimate. I'm hoping it isn't too bad so I can throw the extra $$ into my SV. :vroom:

·
Registered
608 Posts
I'm just wondering who drives around with a grand in cash on them (I don't know, maybe that's typical for guys driving semi's???) Was it all in singles? :naughty:

But I could see why he wouldn't want that reported and would want to make sure you were happy with what happened. I've seen ice road truckers, and how they get reamed when they screw up :p

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Unless the money is counterfeit, you did fine.

Re-skinning a bumper with a new plastic sheath (best way to repair) is a $1,000 job, easy.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Was it all in singles? :naughty:
It was a wrapped stack of 50s with a stamp from TD BANK, N.A. and dated Apr 19 2012. I'm hoping it isn't counterfeit, but I got his license plate number if it comes down to it.

I thought $1k cash was a lot to randomly carry too.

·
Premium Member
10,443 Posts
Did you just cut in front of him during stop and go traffic? hehe!!

You know your not gonna get it repaired and spend the money on stuff for the SV anyway.

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
+1 to doing the guy a favor. He may well have had insurance but would have paid dearly for the claim in the long run. The DOT would likely have inspected the truck as well, and who knows if it was in compliance. Why was he distracted? Texting? That's another major fine. Show up an hour late with a critical load? That's another money loser.

It's crazy expensive to get a rig towed, so the cash may have been his emergency fund. Then again, maybe he was running drugs in the sleeper cab. You never know...

·
Registered
608 Posts
It's crazy expensive to get a rig towed, so the cash may have been his emergency fund. Then again, maybe he was running drugs in the sleeper cab. You never know...
There you have it, you didn't do the right thing. You could have stopped an entire truck full of drugs from reaching its destination, and crippled a major drug ring... How can you sleep with yourself at night now?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
If it were me, I would have called the cops. The story is too fishy, I can understand having money in hand to get a truck like that towed. However, if he were working for a legal business and have insurance then they probably have a company that deals with them for towing and have a contract or deal worked up.

You can always call it in, get an estimate and then have your insurance fix it or cut you a check. A good insurance company will check their records on how long you have been with them and how many claims you have had. If you have full coverage on a new(er) vehicle, then you should have uninsured/under insured protection. Your paying for it every month, USE IT!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Did you just cut in front of him during stop and go traffic? hehe!!
Not at all... Funny story, actually. Earlier in my commute I saw an Accord rear end a new Acura and kind of chuckled (schadenfreude) because the lady driving the Acura was so noticeably ****** off.

>> Fast forward 10 minutes >>

I was in the same lane I had been in for 5+ minutes in front of the same bobtail that had been behind me for that same amount of time. We were creeping forward at about 3-5 mph when the car in front of me stopped. I stopped. I also stopped the semi (with my car). It's not like he had a full load of weight to increase stop distance...

...and I honestly contemplated just throwing the money into some SVXR fairings or suspension upgrades. (Although for that amount of money I could trade my SV for a GSXR).

I really want to get my car fixed up again though since I just bought it. I'm a 21 year old college kid who only works Summers, and my new car is the first nice one I've had.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
I'm just wondering who drives around with a grand in cash on them (I don't know, maybe that's typical for guys driving semi's???) Was it all in singles? :naughty:
When I worked as a delivery driver for Budweiser (A/B) during college I regularly had 2-4K on me at the end of a route depending on where I went and what time of the year it was. The guys who drove the full on semis would regularly have 5-10k on them. It's amazing how many small businesses have the cash to pay you for deliveries but can't qualify for a line of credit requiring monthly payments.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There you have it, you didn't do the right thing. You could have stopped an entire truck full of drugs from reaching its destination, and crippled a major drug ring... How can you sleep with yourself at night now?
I'm a bad, bad person. :violent1:

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Maybe it's not that, maybe it's more or less the disciplinary action he'd face from his company from a boneheaded move like that.
If it were me, I would have called the cops. The story is too fishy, I can understand having money in hand to get a truck like that towed. However, if he were working for a legal business and have insurance then they probably have a company that deals with them for towing and have a contract or deal worked up.
Career drivers try their hardest to have as spotless of a record as possible. This includes taxis (no matter how crazy they may drive) as well as truck drivers and so on. It affects their job and hireability, so they will try to settle as much as possible or, in some cases, blame someone else for the accident.

Unless the money is counterfeit, you did fine.

Re-skinning a bumper with a new plastic sheath (best way to repair) is a $1,000 job, easy.
This is true. Also, because of that sheath, you can't see the damage done underneath it. There may be more damage done than to just the plastic cover.

·
Premium Member
3,061 Posts
Not at all... Funny story, actually. Earlier in my commute I saw an Accord rear end a new Acura and kind of chuckled (schadenfreude) because the lady driving the Acura was so noticeably ****** off.

>> Fast forward 10 minutes >>

I was in the same lane I had been in for 5+ minutes in front of the same bobtail that had been behind me for that same amount of time. We were creeping forward at about 3-5 mph when the car in front of me stopped. I stopped. I also stopped the semi (with my car). It's not like he had a full load of weight to increase stop distance...

...and I honestly contemplated just throwing the money into some SVXR fairings or suspension upgrades. (Although for that amount of money I could trade my SV for a GSXR).

I really want to get my car fixed up again though since I just bought it. I'm a 21 year old college kid who only works Summers, and my new car is the first nice one I've had.
What kind of car do you have?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.