Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,
Riding home tonight from a family event, I heard some noise that didn't sound right in the engine.
I can't explain it well - it didn't sound like "knocking" as I experienced in my jeep years back - but when I heard it I wondered if it was something like that.

Just as I thought I was hearing it, it became very apparent, and riding wide open throttle I couldn't get above 70mph. I knew instantly it was serious, but was on the interstate and was waiting for a bit wider of a shoulder to pull off on.

If I pulled the clutch in, the RPMs wouldn't rise at all - in fact I think maybe they dropped (can't remember clearly). Either way - "coasting" didn't help, and WOT with the clutch in couldn't pull the engine up in RPM at all.

As I was losing speed, it finally made a loud noise, and blew smoke/oil everywhere.
I pulled off and left the bike there - oil covering the rear tire.

As I pushed it to park it on the shoulder, I could hear something hitting or moving with each revolution as I rolled forward - is that perhaps a thrown rod inside?

So - I guess I'm wondering if this is obviously a blown engine (it seems to me it is, but I don't know bike engines all that well).
If it is - what is my best course of action next?
I need to get it off the road - should I take it directly to a shop?

What can I expect in terms of cost for repairing something like this - am I looking at hundreds, or thousands?

Any and all help/advice is VERY much appreciated.
I have no shop I go to, so if anyone knows of a mechanic (small shop/independent), or larger shop they'd recommend, I'd be grateful.

Thanks so much, as always.

*edited to add - I'm in the Denver area*

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Hey man, my guess, would be that it's toast going by your description. Others will have a better grasp on what you can do to tell for sure.

Usually the recommendation is to try and locate a used motor. I see bikes being parted out in the for sale-parts forum here all the time. I wouldn't think it should cost more than a few hundred dollars.

Do you have the time/skill/tools to diy? Usually any combo of 2 of those 3 will be enough to get it done (with some willpower and a little $).

Edit~ do you have a shop manual? If not download one at~

www.carlsalter.com

·
Registered
968 Posts
yessir your engine is done.

when mine went i was able to source an inexpensive but reliable motor on ebay. you can probably find some now for between $500-$700. if you are mechanically inclined/have a friend that is, the process of swapping out really isnt that difficult. without help it took me 4 hours to remove the motor and 2.5 hours (with an extra set of hands) to put the new one in and get everything running again.

i would just take it home as well. taking it to a shop would probably just cost you money for them to tell you what you already know.

·
Registered
476 Posts
All,
As I pushed it to park it on the shoulder, I could hear something hitting or moving with each revolution as I rolled forward - is that perhaps a thrown rod inside?
unless you were pushing the bike while it was in gear, the crankshaft should not be turning. Really don't know what that would be.

but it sure doesn't sound good at all. did you look the bike over at all? to me it sounds like you were losing compression. like a blown gasket, head came off, I dunno.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was dark, so I couldn't look it over too much.
Oil all over the rear tire, and dripping underneath as I parked it.

At this point I need to get it off of the Interstate, and wonder if I should move it here, or find a small shop that can at least diagnose specifically what's going on.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
842 Posts
Depending on where you live, someone else may have already solved your problem of getting it off the interstate. I knew a guy with a beat up Ninja 250 that he wrecked on the highway at night. He couldn't get a trailer til the next morning, and when he got there found out that someone had stolen his POS wrecked 250.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
While I hope that isn't the case, it wouldn't be the worst thing that could happen - or that a semi creamed it in the middle of the night. At least then I'd have some money to address the problem.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Where did you have to leave it? I'll be on I25 through Denver and a stretch of I225 this evening and can take a look for it if needed.

CO law on abandoned vehicles is 24hrs on private property, 48hrs on public property, with some municipalities having shorter timeframes. I would hope that you have the 48hr window since it's on the side of the interstate, but between thieves and the chance of the town you were passing through having BS laws I would get it as soon as possible.

It was probably tagged by the PD within an hour or two after you left it, that is when the clock starts running. Since it's most likely already on file as "possibly abandoned" I would think most insurance co's would fight any kind of theft claim if it came down to that.

Good luck. Let me know if you need a hand, I'm not the best wrench around but I have a pretty well stocked toolbox. I'm also not working tomorrow if you need a hand to help get it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the heads up NYC.
It's just north of Mead on I25 (SB), so I'm hoping for 48 hours as well. Planning to grab it this evening or tomorrow if I can borrow a trailer.
I have a Tacoma, but not sure it will fit well in the 5ft. bed.

·
Registered
476 Posts
it will fit in a tacoma, just put the tailgate down. I have a crew cab taco and take my bikes in it regularly. no problem.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Phoenix: do you have the short bed?
Also, how long of a ramp do you use to get it up?

Sent from my iPad using MO Free

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Call and join the ama. I had to use their towing service the day after I joined. Its a good deal, you get a magazine, and supports motorcycle rights. Get that thing off the freeway asap!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Uhaul motorcycle trailer is $15, or I'll toss it in the truck bed, or my Dad's trailer.
More concerned with what to do next, and how much it's going to cost.

Sent from my iPad using MO Free

·
Registered
109 Posts
Sorry to hear about your bike troubles. FWIW, TD motorcycle (thornton co) has an engine for $600-ish:

05 2005 SUZUKI SV650 SV 650 ENGINE, MOTOR, 21,483 MILES

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
It should fit in a 5' bed but the rear wheel will be on the tailgate. You can put it in a little crooked if it's too close to the edge. Use a minimum of 2 ratcheting tiedows, not the cinch type, one off of each fork or side of the handlbars. If you have a 3rd one connect it to both tiedown spots in the rear of the bed with the strap wrapped around the rear wheel.

Like I said before, if you don't get the bike tonight I can give you a hand pretty much anytime tomorrow if needed. If you have one more able-bodied person we can probably just lift it into the bed if you don't have ramps...as long as it's not a lifted 4x4 that's way off of the ground. I've also got a bunch of straps and stuff in my garage if you need.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks a lot, that's very generous.
I just called my Dad who's in Niwot, and we'll take up his trailer in the morning.

He used to be an auto mechanic, so hopefully we can get a better idea of the extent of it.
Then I'll need to decide if I should have a bike mechanic look at it, or just get a used engine.

If I go the engine route, is it doable as a DIY as has been suggested, or should I shell out the dough to have a shop swap them? Seems like it would be another $600-$800 bucks based on time right?

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
I wonder if you can sign up for an AMA membership today, and have it towed tomorrow.

Don't know how that works exactly.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Seems to me that spending money for a shop to tell you your engine is blown is a waste of money you could be using to buy a replacement engine. Your dad should be able to see what the problem is, but if something broke hard enough to crack the casing so oil leaks out, it's probably not worth saving. For the money you'd spend paying a shop to repair it, you could get an engine and put it in yourself.

Here's a link to an Ebay listing for $422 or best offer in Reno, NV. Shipping is $195. 9k miles on it. http://www.ebay.com/itm/SV650-03-ENGINE-MOTOR-SV-650-04-05-/170915145363?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27cb562693&vxp=mtr

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.