Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Lifer
5,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys and gals,

I've noticed a giant correlation between the size of a diamond in an engagement ring and the length of a marriage. It might just be coincidence but I'd like to see some examples that you guys might have.

So far (from my office)

7 years (so far) - no diamond
31 years - pauve (crushed diamond dust basically)
38 years - 1/4 ct diamond

So far (from this thread)

1 year (ended) - 1/2 ct
6 years (ended) - 1/2 ct
14 years (ended) - pauve

7.5 years - 1/3 ct
10 years - 1/3 ct
11 years - no diamond
11 years - no diamond
14 years - rose quartz
16 years - no diamond
22 years - 1/3 ct

Thanks for the input so far guys, keep it coming :D

·
Registered
854 Posts
Not sure where I fall on this list. 1/2 carat bought me 6 months of being engaged with no fidelity on her part.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Don't know how many K, it was my Grandmothers.
I'll start counting after the wedding in May.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
0 diamond, 11 years and counting.

Here's a tip though, most problems in marriage are to do with money so sinking big spondulies into a ring may be a sub-optimal decision.

·
Lifer
5,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
0 diamond, 11 years and counting.

Here's a tip though, most problems in marriage are to do with money so sinking big spondulies into a ring may be a sub-optimal decision.
Whoa whoa, captain. Let me draw the conclusions here :p

Yours is another one to chalk up though. What is your age range if you don't mind me asking (30-40, 40-50)?

I'm betting 30+ because it seems like under that is a dangerous age to expect things to last. (my generation is rough with teh marriages)

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
My brother's marriage: 1/2 carat and 1 year.

Best friend's marriage: antique rose quartz ring (his wife loves that stuff), 14 years and going...

·
Registered
414 Posts
Like richy-t here- 11 years and no ring. yes im 37

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
Just search a bit. Common topic.

But don’t be fooled that it means anything explicit about your guy’s heart or fidelity; experts agree there’s no correlation between carats and commitment. Obsessing over size may also say something about your confidence, according to Magids: “The bigger it needs to be for you, the lower your self-esteem is. People who are happiest with themselves and their relationship aren’t desperate for a showy ring.”

·
Lifer
5,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just search a bit. Common topic.

But don’t be fooled that it means anything explicit about your guy’s heart or fidelity; experts agree there’s no correlation between carats and commitment. Obsessing over size may also say something about your confidence, according to Magids: “The bigger it needs to be for you, the lower your self-esteem is. People who are happiest with themselves and their relationship aren’t desperate for a showy ring.”
We have a girl at work that wants what she calls the "5 and 10".
Yup.
Five carats and ten inches.

LOL :rolleyes:

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
If my wife is that materialistic that a large, gawdy, over-priced finger weight is a basis for a lasting relationship, I hope to f-ck I'm not so blinded by great sex that I see through it and don't spend the rest of my days with her.

Plus, 2 months of a surveyors salary won't buy much more than what you could find out of one of those machines by the door at Cracker Barrel.

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
Plus, 2 months of a surveyors salary won't buy much more than what you could find out of one of those machines by the door at Cracker Barrel.
I thought that there were rocking chairs next to the door at Cracker Barrel? :dontknow:

I did not spend two months salary on a rock. I couldn't do it then.......I couldn't do it now. :angry7: And it's the diamond sellers that are telling you to spend two months salary. Not her.

7 1/2 years and counting - 1/3 carat, it's a very nice rock. I could have gotten one twice the size, but I thought it looked crappy.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Yours is another one to chalk up though. What is your age range if you don't mind me asking (30-40, 40-50)?

I'm betting 30+ because it seems like under that is a dangerous age to expect things to last. (my generation is rough with teh marriages)
Correct. 38, married at 27. Though I've seen enough marriages tank in my own generation so it may well be more of an age thing than a generational thing now (though admittedly, when I was a young kid, hearing of a divorce was a rare thing, the boy who's last name changed was a thing of interest at school).

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
Can't remember the size, maybe 1/2 carat. We bought it together in an antique store. She actually broke a little off the edge of the stone on our honeymoon. Not sure exactly how, but we suspect she bumped it into the side of the mountain we were climbing. That was 17 years ago. :hug:

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
A big rock is like a big set of boobs. At first you're like "Holy SH-T!! Look at that!", and you show all your friends. But after a while, it's a burden, and only ends up getting caught on things and gathering dirt.
Rings don't end up sagging and causing back problems, at least, and you can always sell them to someone else. Well, I suppose you can rent boobs out.

If I ever get married I don't want a ring. Eeeeyuck.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
A big rock is like a big set of boobs. At first you're like "Holy SH-T!! Look at that!", and you show all your friends. But after a while, it's a burden, and only ends up getting caught on things and gathering dirt.
why do you drag women by their hair? Because if you drag them by their feet, they'd fill up with dirt. ;)

1 - 20 of 92 Posts