Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My local shop sucks. Why don't shops carry all the cool little stuff everyone seems to only get from the inet and magazines? Where can I get some grip heaters? Since I have never used them or even seen any can I use them with the same rubber grips I presently have on the bike? They hook right to my battery? Does it have a switch someplace I guess?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Personally, I prefer electric gloves to heated grips, as it's the back of my hands that needs the heat moreso than my palms. Gerbing heated jacket liner and gloves takes care of me down to temps where there might be ice on the road: in which case I no longer ride.

Heated grips are definitely cheaper though, and yes, they typically have a two or three position switch for off/on or off, low, high settings.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
wacky is this a legit web site? Looks kinda rinky dink........

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Man I knida thoguht the heated grip was gonna be something like a plate that slid under my present grips. I like my blue and black grips..... :( Plus these things a costly for something that doesnt even look good.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Oxford has a set of heaters for your grips that velcro over top of your original grips and wires directly to your battery. They are easily removed for when you dont want them on your bike and they are like around 50 bucks. If you go to www.castleracing.com they are a distributer of the oxford line and they also have actual heated grips as well.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just did some reading about the Oxford grips and thanks for the info guys. Since ease of removal is important to me, b/c the moring is the only time I will need them for awhile, these sound good. I read a article about them and the guy who wrote it said that he didnt mind the extra diameter added to the grip. I am however picky about stuff like this and someone already commented that the grip felt fat and stupid. Has anyone else tried these and felt it was too fat?

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
I asked myself the same question earlier today. I found this thread http://forum.svrider.com/index.php?topic=27684.0 I am looking into either the Symtec or the Kimpex. I did a quick search on google and the cheapest I found the Kimpex was $31 shipped. Haven't looked for the Symtec yet. But this is definately a mod that is going to happen quickly.

BTW with both of these you can turn them off if you don't need/want them on.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
Kevin said:
I just did some reading about the Oxford grips and thanks for the info guys. Since ease of removal is important to me, b/c the moring is the only time I will need them for awhile, these sound good. I read a article about them and the guy who wrote it said that he didnt mind the extra diameter added to the grip. I am however picky about stuff like this and someone already commented that the grip felt fat and stupid. Has anyone else tried these and felt it was too fat? 
The thing is, the actual grip replacement types work very well as grips too, and if you're careful about the install you'll never notice them once they're fitted- so if you're not using them, fine don't switch them on. But for those occasional rides when you get caught in a cold rain, or whatever, they're fantastic. Check it out...

That's the control box tucked beside the crash bung... Wiring's pretty much invisible.

Here you can see the cables, but they don't intrude, and don't affect riding whatsoever. Better IMO to just do it right first time, then ease of removal shouldn't ever be an issue.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I just ordered some Kimpex heaters from Arizona Motorsports. http://store.azmusa.com/kigrhekit.html Total came to $30.35 shipped to the east coast.

I've read some good stuff about them, but I have no personal experience with them or any other heater whatsoever. I expect they'll do a decent job of keeping my hands warm, but I'm not expecting luxury quality for $30 either.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Alright, here's a question:

Are the grip heaters that install under normal grips as effective as grip heaters that effectively replace your grips? How effective are they with thicker gloves such as cold weather gloves?

I'm ready to buy, just gotta pick a set out...

·
Registered
263 Posts
I've had fantastic luck with the heat-element-on-the-bar-under-grip style heaters. The thing I like most about the non-Kimpex heaters, is there is no resistor to mount up anywhere. Most all the units I've installed (Moose+ two other names) have had two heater grids. Low selected one grid, Hi selected both. Much, much simpler than finding a place to put the stupid resistor and running those extra wires.

·
Registered
89 Posts
How can I find this gizmo....

The aftermarket gauge lookin' thingy! :) I wanna know what gear I'm in!

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
I ordered the Symtec ones from http://www.casporttouring.com/ . Yes, they are a legitimate website, recieved the package within a week with the cheapest shipping option they offered. I am going to instal them tomorrow.

I can say this already: you can order them with a toggle switch or a rocker switch. I ordered the rocker switch because I thought it would look a little nicer, but it feels a little flimsy...so I am going to go hunting for a switch at Radio Shack tomorrow...along with some heat shrink to go around the left bar (if I can find some that big).

Looks like a pretty nice little kit otherwise...comes with lots of little wiring bits, so wiring should be no problemo at all.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Abe Frohman said:
I just ordered some Kimpex heaters from Arizona Motorsports.  http://store.azmusa.com/kigrhekit.html  Total came to $30.35 shipped to the east coast. 

I've read some good stuff about them, but I have no personal experience with them or any other heater whatsoever.  I expect they'll do a decent job of keeping my hands warm, but I'm not expecting luxury quality for $30 either.
Sweet. This is what I was looknig for I think I am going to order and try these out too. Man I was just reading up about the Veypor guage and if that thing is as advertised it is amazing....pretty costly thought.....$279????????

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
gahdzila said:
I can say this already:  you can order them with a toggle switch or a rocker switch.  I ordered the rocker switch because I thought it would look a little nicer, but it feels a little flimsy...so I am going to go hunting for a switch at Radio Shack tomorrow...along with some heat shrink to go around the left bar (if I can find some that big).
Oh aye, there's a good point. Lots of heated grips have trouble with solid alloy bars like you get on the old SV, TLs etc- they're too good a heat sink, so the grips can't get up to full heat. Usually quite obvious, the left one will be colder than the right as the throttle tube helps insulate a little. The Oxford grips have an integral heat shield to prevent this being an issue, which is a nice touch (oddly enough, it was introduced after input from SV650.org members to Oxford...)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts