Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I recently purchased an '05 SV650S and upon closer inspection of the tires/sprockets, I feel like the bike seems a little more worn than the current milage (~13,000 mi).

I've read that it's relatively easy to swap out instrument cluster to lower miles. Is there any way to tell if the cluster on my bike has been swapped? Is the true milage stored on the ECU or elsewhere on the bike?? The title history checks out, so I'm looking for physical signs of true milage.

The bike runs fine otherwise, so I'm not too worried about it. Just a little curious.

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
The mileage is not stored in the ECU. You can certainly wear out chain and sprockets in 13K if you are an aggressive rider. As for tires, the manufacture date is located on the sidewall of the tire after the word DOT in an elongated oval. Four numbers: let's say the tires were manufactured during the 40th week in '05. The numbers would be 4005. Many SV riders wear out tires in under 6K, so if your tires are from '05 and have ~13K on them, time for a change anyway due to age.

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
Age and maint. have a lot to do with a bikes condition, not just miles.

·
Registered
6,316 Posts
How come when you take the battery out,
The mileage doesn,t loose the numbers.?
Where is it stored,if not the ecu?

·
Registered
847 Posts
How come when you unplug your computer, it doesn't lose the date & time?

There's a battery. It takes nearly no power to keep small amounts of info like that.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Not that I have seen. SVs are known to run for a log time. I'd look more at the general condition of the bike than worrying about miles. Is the frame scratched? Does it look like it has been crashed and the odometer replaced?

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
it would cost more and be more effort to replace the odometer than it would be to replace worn chain, sprockets & tires

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cluster does not have VIN or other info encoded into it.
Why do you suspect odometer fraud?
Well, I'm also partly concerned that if/when I eventually try to sell the vehicle, if it should be branded as 'total miles unknown' or assume these are the original miles (if I can't prove otherwise).

·
Registered
32 Posts
Dont know why you are concerned about this.... 13k is about time for chain and sprocket if it was not 100% kept up on maintenance. 13k is pushing it even for the best tires. Relax and enjoy the bike.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Well, I'm also partly concerned that if/when I eventually try to sell the vehicle, if it should be branded as 'total miles unknown' or assume these are the original miles (if I can't prove otherwise).
Well check out the title now and compare the listed miles. If the miles now are less than indicated on the title, there is an issue.

Some states after X amount of years quit keeping track of mileage on titles. For Illionis, I think after 10 years they quit.

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
I just sold my mother's Dodge Caravan, a 2000 year model with 27, 941 original miles. Would you suspect that we tampered with the odometer? I really don't understand your concern. I bought my Triumph 2yrs ago from the orig. owner. A 12yr old bike with 7,766 miles on the odo. In may case, the bike had new chain/sprockets and tires and fresh fluids. It never crossed my mind that the owner tampered with the odo. He didn't of course, the bike looked practically brand new because he hardly road it.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I think ur just paranoid. My bike has 15k on it I bought it new in 05. I've been thru 4 rear tires an 2 front. And a chain an sprocket set. This is normal wear an tear stuff. Actually I just rode bike today an the rear tire starting to look like crap. I got it last summer (I rode alot last summer) barely rode this year BC I been getting into dirtbikes. Yes odometer is an easy swap. I guess easy way to tell is the newer bikes have a white tachometer background as opposed to mine has a black background. Also usually a used odometer will have mileage written on the back so whoever sells it can keep track of that info easily.

Yes the title gona match BC I'm assuming u just bought it. With new title there gona write w-e numbers it showing. And as far you concerned of what ur gona have to do when an if u sell it...... just ride it you may have that bike for the rest of your life.

My bike definitely looks older than its years. I'm gona do entire maintenance schedule this winter and give it a face lift as well.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
I just sold my mother's Dodge Caravan, a 2000 year model with 27, 941 original miles.

last February, I bought a 1981 Chevy van, only 81, xxx miles. I've been accused of forwarding the odo on my SV, there's no way anyone could put 135,006 miles on one

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I beat my chain to death in 14k.. every time. Its very well cared for, but does see all Pacific Northwest seasons and thus gets wet a lot in the off season.

·
Super Moderator
8,913 Posts
... Is the true milage stored on the ECU or elsewhere on the bike??
Mileage is stored inside the gauge computer chip. There are two types of memory: volatile (RAM, holds the SV Clock time, disappears if power is interrupted), and non-volatile (Flash, holds mileage, permanent).

Since Flash is slow and has limited read/write life cycles, mileage is accumulated in RAM, then periodically copied to permanent Flash. It is like working on a computer file then periodically saving off to harddisk.

It is unusual to have 13k miles on an '05 car, but common on bikes. Chances are good it is true mileage. Don't worry, be happy. ;D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts