Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
UG what a weekend....

started out painting the windshield with "RC paint" from a local hobby store. The can just leaked all over the place. Tried to clean up some globs... before heading to Wally World to buy some paint. That project finally finished Saturday. Installed the new windshield on Sunday. Looks good.

Now for my pain...Long story short...First for me but my bike fell over in the garage on the air compressor. My tank now has a dent!

I have linked/attached a photo of it here. Any advice on repair would be appreciated. There are also some scratches on rear plastic and bent the shifter.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/BrPZpV_8k20LRu5MDtiZUg?feat=directlink

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Don'tcha hate it when that happens?

I'd say Bondo... or paint 2 more of them just in front. You'd have some really cool shark gills.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LMAO...thanks guys... I might have to go the bra route for the short term fix. Then bondo and repaint.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Bondo, and that corner is tricky due to the curves in that part of the tank. Your dent is small so it shouldn't be too bad.

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
You can heat the dent edges with mat gas and use a body hammer to get some of the dent out.... then you can use a little less body filler. Dont try to get the whole thing in one shot with the filler, a couple layers makes it easier to maintain the line

·
Registered
88 Posts
C'mon just rock the dent. I have a small one on the tank at about 7 o'clock from the cap, and I've grown fond of it. when bored at long stop lights or waiting for someone, I play it like a steel drum. you get some really nice sound out of it.

--- broken bones heal and chicks dig scars.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the great ideas....I've been beating myself up over this and you guys have definitely put a silver lining on it for me. :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
i would say bondo with everyone else.

i had a dent about 3 times the size of that right on a curve in my tank when i bought the bike, and i was able to fix it with some bondo and an afternoon of my time.

just sand it down to bare metal and fill it in using 1/8" layers of bondo, until the bondo is a little above the tank surface, then sand down and it will look great. just make sure you take your time and dont try to apply to much bondo at once or you will get air pockets and they suck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts