Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was changing my oil and filter everything was fine, until I put on the filter didn't I used a monkey wrench to tighten it up since that was the only thing I had.  I know I'm a newb so in tightening the second time i happen to dent the filter a little.

Now my question is will it be OK or do I need to buy a new filter.  :'(

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
You didn't help things - but if it's a small dent, you're probably ok. If you're not comfortable - and considering the importance of that particular part, popping for a new filter and some more oil seems cheap insurance.

To prevent this again - don't use a tool. I've NEVER used, nor have I ever seen a mechanic use, a tool to install or remove a properly installed filter. Well over 15 years of paying attention to such things. Regardless of what the service manual says - hand tight is in fact, enough.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a lot I appreciate it, well the manual had said two twist it two times I did it 1 1/2 times with my hand, I knew I should of just left it at that, but I was dumb enough to use the wrench small dent, but as long as it is ok. I planed on changing my Oil at 1600 miles since I just did my first at 800 I know I should of done it at 600 but didn't have time till today. So I'll make sure I just don't make that mistake again.

Thanks again Ruefus

·
Registered
167 Posts
but.... then again.... this sounds a lot like the argument about break-in procedures (to follow the advice of the manual or not).

In the repair manual it says:

"Install the new oil filter. Turn it by hand until you feel that the oil filter gasket has contacted the oil filter mounting surface. Then, tighten the oil filter two turns using the special tool.
NOTE: To properly tighten the oil filter, use the special tool. Never tighten the oil filter by hand."

I went to Walmart and paid $5 for a band type oil filter tool.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Ivan said:
I can't figure out how you dented the oil filter. It has such a broad surface that I can't figure out how you could have applied enough force to dent it.
I dont know what a monkey wrench is...but Ive used a pliers type oil filter wrench that puts small dents into every filter Ive ever used it on.

shouldnt be a problem if the dents are small and near the end where the ridges for the filter wrench are

since following this message board, Ive been hand tightening it as tight as I can by hand, and not using a wrench. no leaks and no problems.

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Evan said:
but.... then again.... this sounds a lot like the argument about break-in procedures (to follow the advice of the manual or not).

In the repair manual it says:

"Install the new oil filter. Turn it by hand until you feel that the oil filter gasket has contacted the oil filter mounting surface. Then, tighten the oil filter two turns using the special tool.
NOTE: To properly tighten the oil filter, use the special tool. Never tighten the oil filter by hand."

I went to Walmart and paid $5 for a band type oil filter tool.
That's just Suzuki covering their butt. I've always tightened my filters by hand, and removed them the same way.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Either the spanner style oil filter tool or the cap is what we always used. Two turns past hand tight seems a bit extreme if you're a bit muscular. I always did hand tight then a 1/2 turn with the oil filter cap tool or strap wrench. Just make sure you put a light coating of oil on the rubber (sealing) portion of the filter so it won't tear when tightened.

·
Registered
167 Posts
finsvr said:
Two turns past hand tight seems a bit extreme if you're a bit muscular.
That would be extreme, and probably too tight.

Evan said:
Turn it by hand until you feel that the oil filter gasket has contacted the oil filter mounting surface.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Those words are like music to my ears. :)

I have to do my 600 mile maintenance, and I'm trying to knock a couple bucks off by doing the oil myself, and having the dealer do everything else (I don't have the tools to do the "throttle valve synchronization" unfortunately...)

Ruefus said:
You didn't help things - but if it's a small dent, you're probably ok. If you're not comfortable - and considering the importance of that particular part, popping for a new filter and some more oil seems cheap insurance.

To prevent this again - don't use a tool. I've NEVER used, nor have I ever seen a mechanic use, a tool to install or remove a properly installed filter. Well over 15 years of paying attention to such things. Regardless of what the service manual says - hand tight is in fact, enough.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
Ivan said:
I use a K&N Oil Filter which is a lot cheaper than stock. The top of it comes with a head nut which makes it very easy to put on and take off with a normal wrench.
Yup, same here. Though I've found it's rusted like a mofo, which isn't very impressive. I got that thing as pointless bling, and now it's ratty :(

S

·
0 Posts
I used to go hand tight, but after seeing a filter back off and oil the rear tire of a trackbike at MAM, I figured it could happen to me too.

I go a full turn past first contact with the gasket (I think that's spec printed right on the filter), but I use a Suzuki oil filter wrench too and it's very easy to do w/o damage to the filter.

Tools are cool. Buy one of these wrenches, a whopping $6.86 from Oneida.

LINK

·
Registered
154 Posts
kentuckyfried said:
Those words are like music to my ears. :)

I have to do my 600 mile maintenance, and I'm trying to knock a couple bucks off by doing the oil myself, and having the dealer do everything else (I don't have the tools to do the "throttle valve synchronization" unfortunately...)
However, many of us do have those tools. Some of us have maintenance days as well. Putting your location in your sig might help someone find you if you're local. Check out the local forums too. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts