Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was time for new plugs. I got the iridiums to try them out. Since the beginning of October I've been commuting over 120 miles per day. With the iridiums I got an immediate 10% to 15% jump in mileage. Remember that the old plugs were ready to come out (on schedule) so some of that mileage increase is just from new plugs. The plugs that came out looked good in both color and physical condition. The increase is too great to ascribe only to new plugs.

The bike feels about the same except maybe a smoother idle. Again, new plugs will sometimes do this.

I'll post after a couple of weeks observing mileage.

·
Registered
120 Posts
What are the advantages to iridium plugs?

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I just put NGK Iridium plugs in my bike this weekend as well. Unlike you though, my plugs were about 1,500 miles overdue for a change, and boy was it evident! The bike ran rough and my mileage was terrible. When ti took out the old plugs they were burnt and corroded. Yuck.

Now the bike starts instantly, runs very smoothly, and I hope to see that same increase in mileage that you did.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Iridium is supposed to give you a better spark since the electrode is smaller than a standard plug. Apparently requires less energy from the ignition. I've been running them for the last 2500 miles and they seem to work great!

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
I replaced pretty new NGK standards with iridiums and to be honest the only difference I've noticed is in starting- the bike's a lot more eager to get out of bed on a cold morning. It may have made differences to power and fuel economy, but not to the extent that i'd say for sure there's anything there.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
I've been running the NGK Iridium's now for 10k miles and so far so good. I like them... THe only thing I notice is easier start up.... fuel mileage increase... maybe a mile or two a gallon... nothing huge. I changed my original plugs at 20k...

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
I'm way over my spark plug change mileage. Laziness I suppose. But I have yet to notice any problems. Getting the same mileage I always have. Idles same, starts up instantly. They even looked decent when I pulled them. I'll change them this winter anways...

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
NGK CR8E and CR9Es all come with a more-or-less suitable gap for the SV, whether they're iridium or not. I believe it's still recommended to gap an iridium plug for best results, just htat the stronger spark means it's not so essential.

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Novadesigns said:
Actaully it says right on the NGK iridium package not to gap the plugs.
How much are these plugs? Moto dealer only product or something Autozone would carry?

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
Novadesigns said:
No, on my box it says specifically "Do not adjust the gap on these sparkplugs."  If I have to take a picture I will.

I bought mine at www.sparkplugs.com. Not one stupid shop in the DFW area carried them, and most had no clue about NGK or iridium anything.
Consider me shot down :) Here, there's a wee boilerplate on the box that says, more or less (threw it away...), "All NGK spark plugs are pre-gapped for most vehicles and should not require adjustment. If adjustment is neccesary use only an appropriate gap tool." or similiar. So don't squash them on your garage floor, or prise the ends apart with a knife :) It's the exact same message that was on the standards. Guess it must be a territorial thing...

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
cyclerider105 said:
Hey Evil, I paid about 10 bucks a piece for em!  But the extra 10hp is worth it!   ;)
Sweet mother of god. Really though, 10 dollars each?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts