Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
8,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, thanks to Cfreger (Craig) for his original post (link) that brought this new exhaust to my attention. :thumbsup:

Editorial: The Delkevic is a frigging bargain. For any of you cheapskates out there (like me) that can't justify dropping $400 or more for a new slipon, here's your answer. $129 bucks, brand spankin' new. Seriously, for less scratch than a set of Pazzo levers... :D You can have a very nice sounding, good looking exhaust.

Mine arrived yesterday via UPS. Tonight, I got my tools together & installed it. So enjoy the pics & videos!

The "before" pic. Stock 20lb. torpedo mounted & ready to be dropped like a bad habit.

Dr. Trambo prepares for surgery. Cordless sawzall FTW.

After the kindest cut. (And no, tempting as it was, I did not start it up w/o the pipe on. :p)

Fugly stock pipe go bye-bye.

After the install, used Ultra Copper to seal it all tight.

"The operation was a success!!" :D

Shiny. [drool]

From another angle.

Mid-pipe & clamps.

Side view.

Folks, look at the stocker, and look at the new pipe. Any more questions?? ;D

Next up... Videos!!

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I was just about to do the same thing...

I was coming from a Scorpion Street Extreme. I wanted something that a) wasn't rashed, b) different look, and c) quieter because I'm doing more touring nowadays.

In comparison to the Scorpion S.E., the Delkevic is exactly what I was looking for. Standing by the bike, with the baffle out it's about as loud as my Scorpion was with its baffle in. The Delkevic with its baffle in is pretty quiet at idle, but still has a some bark when revved. Riding is a whole different story...because the exhaust now exits a bit further back that the Street Extreme, it seems quite a bit softer even though it's still pretty manly (is that an oxymoron? :p). With the baffle in it's a faint background noise when riding. Without the baffle, it's a little louder, but far from obtrusive. Overall, I'd say it's a tick louder than a Yoshimura.

The sound tone is great. While not as loud as the Street Extreme, it's still deep (deeper than a friend's high-mount M4). It has kind of a raw tone, not unlike a muscle car. Whereas the Scorpion had somewhat of a smooth tone, the Delkevic pronounces each combustion a little more prominently (it's a little more staccato). It's raspy or 'tinny' by any means...doesn't sound like a lawn mower or (like my friend's M4) a dirtbike.

Build quality is pretty dern good. All the welds are uniform and smooth, the stainless can has no imperfections and shines like a baby's bum. The only place I'd say they cheaped out on (only a little) is the baffle insert (dB killer). First off, it looks like a d!ldo... My Scorpion had a nice, perforated insert with an allen head bolt that was installed from the inside, leaving a clean muffler tip. The Delkevic insert is merely a piece of bent pipe with a round cap [hand] welded on. The attacement point is two nuts stacked and welded on with a simple Phillips/flar-head machine bolt that goes underneath the tip. Even still, it seems as it'll hold up to the test of time well.

Someone reported the muffler packing showing through the rivets... I found no such thing, although it looks like the end clamps had some sort of plastic shrink-wrap on them that was peeled off after they were riveted in place. There's a little of the plastic left underneath the rivets.

My only real concern is the quality of the muffler packing material. It's great now, but how long will it last? Even if starts to burn/rot away after only 5,000 miles, it isn't like it's hard or expensive to replace the packing.

My vote? Buy one. Now. It's well worth $143.61 shipped.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
nice!

·
Registered
189 Posts
I need a side job to earn some extra dosh! It looks pretty slick and the price for what you get is phenomenal. Wish I had one...

·
Registered
8,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So Spacecoast, if you were on the fence bud... what's your thoughts now?? ;D

·
Registered
280 Posts
Congrats! Looks and sounds very nice. And for the price of $150 it is even nicer. I was looking at cfreger's thread on this since the it started and was very interested. After seeing it on your bike I probably would have got one if i didn't stumble across the Remus. Excellent pics and videos.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Priced where a slip-on should be. Good deal. Just one question... Is it possible to put the straps tab on the inside of the peg? Looks like it may be able to be re-positioned and potentially look a bit more clean and tidy. Then again the midpipe may not allow this. Just curious.

·
Registered
8,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Priced where a slip-on should be. Good deal. Just one question... Is it possible to put the straps tab on the inside of the peg? Looks like it may be able to be re-positioned and potentially look a bit more clean and tidy. Then again the midpipe may not allow this. Just curious.
Actually a very good question. I did try moving it around a bit when I was pre-fitting it. The mid-pipe really didn't cooperate much on this. I wasn't very successful with pushing the can closer in to the wheel. With another minor mandrel bend it might be possible, but I can't say for sure.

And I agree 100%... a slipon shouldn't cost $400 (or more). There really isn't that much material involved. Markup seems insane on anything motorcycle related. I paid the same $$$ for a full catback 2.5" exhaust on my R/T a few years ago, and we're talking a LOT more steel & material for that.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts