Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Crew,
As the title suggests: I'm looking to get a 2nd bike :) This whole N + 1 thing is all too real.

I currently have a 2006 650N, and I absolutely love it. First bike that I've ever had, which is a bit over a year now, and have put about 7000 miles on her (Southern California).

Looking to get a used but late-model V-Strom, and I'm leaning towards the 1000 ... but I'm looking for some feedback. The reasons that I'm currently leaning towards the 1000 instead of the 650 are:
1) Going to be keeping the SV, so I'll still have my nimble commuter / canyon cruiser / fun smaller 50mpg bike.
2) Going to be moving to the Pacific Northwest early next year (Portland) and plan on doing more touring / moto camping / less-than-perfect-weather-adventuring.
3) The girlfriend got her first taste of riding 2-up and actually really liked it! But she felt a bit cramped on the SV (and so did I). My thoughts are that the V-Strom 1000 will be a bit more comfy for her, especially when we load up the bike with gear (we plan on doing some camping trips and adventuring together).
4) Related to #3, seems like the 1000 will offer a bit more engine comfort on the highways when it comes to 2-up / fully-loaded riding.

Things that people say about the Wee, and why it's better than the V1k:
1) Lighter / more nimble (especially off-road) -- My off-road riding has so far been 0, and I can't imagine doing anything more than fire roads and some super light-duty trails in the near future.
2) Better mpg -- Not totally concerned, and it seems like the total tank mileage on the V1000 will be about the same than I currently get on my SV650.
3) 650 is just such a great motor (and I certainly agree).
4) Maybe just not worth the extra $$ for the extra cc's.
5) Will have to get a proper skid plate and maybe some other protection for anything more than fire roads, and that money can start to add up. But, would be the same for the Wee, right?

Anyway, these are the things I'm considering. If I were getting rid of the SV, I'd almost certainly go with the Wee-Strom, but, since I'll still have my 650 for the foreseeable future (read: forever, I hope), maybe it makes more sense to get the Big Brother, suck up the extra gas (and purchase price), but have a slightly more capable and comfortable touring style ADV bike.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, especially anyone else (I know there are a lot of you) who've gone the SV650 -> Strom 650/1000 path.

-JK

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've been to Montana and back on my SV650. A proper seat, a hard case, saddle bags, and a front fender extender was all it took. You guys would have to pack light obviously, but no matter what, a rear seat is never comfy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
SkyHighJK

Ridin buddy of mine absolutely loves his Strom1k. Rums 2 up with his wife A-lot. He considers it the best "Do-all" bike he's had.
Having swapped with him a few times, I have to say, it is a Comfortable ride street or trails.

But- I prefer my Sv1k, but.... I don't run 2up.
YMMV-

·
Registered
169 Posts
A V-Strom would definitely be a better choice to travel in 2 on the same bike, especially if packing.
The pillion rider will be way more comfortable.

But it can be done with an SV too, with ease.
Here's my 3rd gen. set-up for travelling with my wife and a light baggage.

·
Registered
39 Posts
@skywalker67 that's a great looking setup. What kind of bags and rack are you using?

OP, another vote for the vstrom1k...if you're serious about 2up, long trips, and that usage then this is the obvious choice.

Also with Suzuki doing a nice facelift on the 2020 1k model it might drop prices on late model used ones.

·
Registered
169 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
If my main focus was two up touring I wouldn't buy any adventure bike. None of them have great passenger accommodations. If I was planning on spending much time at all riding in the dirt, the last thing I would want is another person on the back of my bike. So if I'm touring with a person who doesn't want to learn to ride, I am sticking on the pavement and almost any sport touring, straight up touring, or touring cruiser is a better machine for riding two up all day.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@Skywalker - nice setup! Great looking bike. I do have some decent pillion bags (Kriega) that I've used a few times and they work great.... just not sure how I feel about riding 2-up on the SV with extra luggage! Seems like lot to handle!

@Erika - I'm definitely leaning that way. And yeah, now that the "1050" is coming soon I'm sure I could get a 2019 for a bit of a discount. Except, of course, now I'm torn, because NEW things are fun! (But I might still get a 2017)

@rwortman - Great points. I don't think 2-up touring will be my main focus, just a bigger part of my riding future. I still plan on doing a lot of solo trekking and exploring (and will still have my SV650 for commuting and, well, just because I love it). I can for sure see myself getting a proper touring cruiser at some point down the road, but for now I just want something a little bigger and more capable of very-light-offroading and adventuring, while also being able to say to my GF "this one will be more comfy, I promise!"

Thanks everyone for the responses. As usual, the SVRider hive mind is 2nd to none. (or at least, 2nd to few!)

-jk

·
Registered
24 Posts
I haven't spent any time 2 up on an SV, so can't compare it to my DL. My wife and I have done a couple of day rides on my WeeStrom with no want for more power (or weight!).
I've done some pretty gnarly trails on it by myself, not ideal, but I did keep up with my family on a DRZ and KLR650. It's just weird traversing obstacles without being able to see your front tire.

" media="(max-width: 640px)"> " media="(max-width: 960px)"> " media="(max-width: 1920px)">

Little sightseeing in Anza Borrego. Soft dirt, but nothing crazy.

" media="(max-width: 640px)"> " media="(max-width: 960px)"> " media="(max-width: 1920px)">

This got a little sketchy. Riding out to the Badlands and the road turned to sand. Wife took this picture as i rode out of the really deep sand. Couple of pucker moments, but never went down while 2 up.

As you may notice here the only other vehicles out here were Jeeps;)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@Nealsmo ...
I just copied / pasted the links so i was able to see ...... looks fun! Diggin' the giant grasshopper lol.

I'm sure some knobbier tires would made the biggest difference --- but fun to see what the little Wee can do!

·
Registered
24 Posts
@Nealsmo ...
I just copied / pasted the links so i was able to see ...... looks fun! Diggin' the giant grasshopper lol.

I'm sure some knobbier tires would made the biggest difference --- but fun to see what the little Wee can do!
I guess I copied the wrong image links and wasn't able to edit posts. For some reason my quick reply wouldn't post the updated links.

Yes, some better tires would have helped. I took that DL to places it probably shouldn't have gone, but it held up! Not a bad bike. It was my first bike and swiss army knife. I needed it to do everything.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts