Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm riding earlier today on RT62 outside of Danville, Ohio. I come uphill on a slight curve and I see a deer making its way onto the road on my right side. I immediately slow down about 20 mph and he still stands there. I wanted him to make a decision so I could react so I revved my engine about two times. The Holeshot apparently scared him and he went back into the forest. Was what I did correct? He could have easily ran the opposite way right into my path. What are you supposed to do when you see a deer near the road besides slow down and be ready to react?

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
I speak from experience (at least, at night) that you should not try to ride by slowly. Either stop or continue at the same speed (if you're going over 30 or so and they're stopped on the side of the road and staring like this :eek: )
I tried to ride by slowly at 15mph and then got slammed in the side and I made the same face  :eek:

Probably best to just stop and scare them or wait till they run on their own... or have your rifle handy. Keep your gear on if you decide to run and tackle one

Josh

·
site supporter
6,095 Posts
What are you supposed to do when you see a deer near the road besides slow down and be ready to react?
I don't know what more you can do. I've been in that situation (I've also been on that road, but never in that situation on that road.)and I've simply counted myself lucky to have avoided collision.  
On one occasion as I was exiting a slow right turn through a narrow RR underpass (SR260 in Solon) two deer leapt from my right (from the grassy RR right-of-way) and into my path. I was able to stop and wait for them to clear my path.  On another occasion, I was riding on a wooded road (Chagrin Riv. Rd.) when a doe and her middle aged fawn leapt into my path from the woods to my right.  I was doing about 35 and slowed to 20 so they could have time and space to decide which way to go, but they kept zig-zagging across my path. Finally mom headed back right into the thicket, but Bambi kept trying to guess which way I'd go so it could dart the other way.  I finally had to stop to give the young deer a clue that I was not a predator, just an noisy annoyance.  It finally took off in the direction mom went.  
Deer are bad news because I don't believe you can predict their escape behavior.  You just have to let them make their escape.

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
Speaking from experience, I say stop and proceed to creep slowly in first gear.
Rarely are they alone, beeping the horn and/or revving a loud exhaust may
snap them out of it.

Now, moose on the other hand ...  especially the males with the big horns!
Rutting season is starting now and the last thing you want to do is "challenge" one!

I have an uncle that encountered one about this time of the year and he beeped his horn
to get him out of the road.  The moose attacked his Ford 250 and demolished the hood,
front windshield, grill and headlights.  

If you see bloody velvet strips hanging from the horns from either a deer or a moose,
I think it would be best to plan a quick U turn as a secondary option.  
(Rutting season for deer is later, typically Nov in this area.)

I used to encounter either moose or deer every other day riding dirt in Maine.  Once in
a while a black bear but they were more scared of you and ran when they heard you.

You gotta remember it is their playpen ... not yours.  Your road going thru it is just incidental.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Sometimes they get locked into a "trance by your headlights. I heard somewhere to flash your brights on and off and they will continue if they stop in your path. The few times I've tried it in my cage worked.

·
Premium Member
6,627 Posts
that's funny because i just saw a baby deer standing in the middle of the road today, he was looking the other way, i slowed down and then he saw me and ran into the woods,

·
Registered
23 Posts
Has anyone ever tried those deer whistle things on their bike? You know the little bullhorn shaped thingies that are placed on the front bumper of different vehicles and are supposed to scare off dear.

·
Premium Member
1,583 Posts
There are lots where I live, and I flash my lights, sound my horn and rev the engine. I always expect more than one, and I never pass them, I wait til they get out of the way, even if that means coming to a dead stop.

·
Registered
238 Posts
ShaggyZ said:
Keep your gear on if you decide to run and tackle one

Josh

LOL that's hilarious, I can just picture; flip it into neutral, throw the stand down in the street, get off adjust your gloves and run at it screaming "YOU SON UV A BITCH" then tackle the shit out of it. :D

·
Registered
336 Posts
Danville is just north of me, we play them in sports. I usually do the same thing.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Deer whistles don't work. I know at least four people who have put deer whistles on their trucks and cars with no results whatever. One of my nephews says that what works best for him is to slow down and yell at the deer. He rolls his window down, sticks his head out and yells. I have no idea if this is the best method. He is the one nephew I have who doesn't hunt and he has three big racks on his wall, the results of FIVE deer and two totalled vehicles (waste not, want not. When he killed the deer he had them butchered).

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
+1 to the deer whistle comment. PSP tried them a number of years ago and found them of no value.

I will repeat my plea -- eat venison.

As to what to do -- stay lucky. Deer are a constant challenge in NW Pa. I had a real scare a few weeks ago. My best advice, just stay alert. If they are zigzagging across the road, , slow down as much as possible and hope they miss you. Stop if you can. Same advice for when they are hanging out at the edge of the road.

·
Registered
270 Posts
ive got it , im going to invent a deer dozer for the sv...itll be just like the scrapers on a snow plow, and you can mount it to your bar ends...picture this, well all make millions...light weight steel ...four hundred pounds or so. genius...just genius... alright who's in?

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
acedeluxe said:
LOL that's hilarious, I can just picture; flip it into neutral, throw the stand down in the street, get off adjust your gloves and run at it screaming "YOU SON UV A B****" then tackle the s**t out of it. :D
Ya, I was kinda thinking of Kaxter's story about beating that guy up at the Taco Bell. Tackling deer is why I always wear gear <-- that should be a bumper sticker... it rhymes, too.

Josh

·
Registered
254 Posts
shekshishekki said:
strap a gun to the back of your sv like a redneck and shoot the damn thing  ;D
Why's it gotta be a redneck thing.

·
Registered
238 Posts
ShaggyZ said:
Kaxter's story about beating that guy up at the Taco Bell. Tackling deer is why I always wear gear   <-- that should be a bumper sticker... it rhymes, too.

Josh
I guess I missed the Taco Bell story.

·
Registered
87 Posts
A couple winters ago I watched a young dear lean on an old lady's hood against her radiator. She stopped for the dear and it liked the warm radiator. Two of us tried to push the dear off her car and we finally had here hit the horn. It ran away fast.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts