Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. Over this first summer of riding (don’t worry, my beautiful SV is safe in a heated storage unit for this Midwestern winter) I noticed a good amount of decel popping. It has a Two Brothers exhaust (from two owners ago). I personally find decel popping to be one of the sexiest noises it makes, but I can’t help but worry about if it does any harm to my bike. Would anybody be able to able to confirm or negate my fears, and how to fix it if it is an issue? Thank you!!

·
Registered
516 Posts
The popping is due to the PAIR system which introduces air into the exhaust when engine braking in order to ignite unburnt but very hot fuel leaving the cylinders. This is done to prevent fuel entering the catalytic converter and reducing its efficiency.
Since the US bikes don't have one, some people remove the PAIR system altogether. But if you like the popping I'd keep it as is. It has nothing to do with the combustion process.

It was always there, but just barely audible with a stock exhaust. After-market mufflers are not designed to silence these pops (they're just straight pipes with a bit of insulation packing).

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had the same thing going on, backfiring when coming off the throttle. It got more often and louder. I did not realize until later that the performance was suffering. My investigation found the header flange bolts connecting to the head were loose on the front cylinder. Tightening them helped bunches. Hopefully I did not do damage as I over torqued them. Torque value is only 16.5 ft.lbs. It was still backfiring more than normal. Rear bolt was loose as well, I say bolt because one bolt was not present. The left rear bolt is a PITA to access and see (even with the seat and side cover removed). I used a combination of extensions and a wooblie to get the socket on the bolt. I should have taken a picture of the combination for future reference as I tried combining them in a number of configurations before getting it to work.
P.S. I am a newbie, just sharing my experience. Do not rely on my dumbass for the correct procedure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts