Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
site supporter
6,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During the past week, two friendly acquaintences of mine died. In addition, my paralegal's mom passed away. One of these deaths was more or less expected, but the other two were sudden. One was a drowning while on vacation. The other was, as of yet, unexplained (although the Medical Examiner will probably issue a cause of death and release the body early next week.)

None of these people were really close friends, so I have avoided feeling deep personal grief. But their passing has reminded me that life is not eternal (at least the one we are aware of now) and that each day is a gift, not one guaranteed or even earned. Life is a series of moments, which we either can fritter away or impart with meaning, joy and purpose.

Without being maudlin about it, I suggest you remember this when you're pi**ed at your spouse for whatever spouses do to pi** us off. Remember this when your kid is pestering you about something you think trivial or less interesting than the TV show you're watching. Remember this when you are trying to decide whether to stay in bed or get up and take that run you've been promising yourself. (I'm not sure how that particular question gets resolved. Maybe it depends on whether you're still pi**ed at that spouse?:dontknow:)

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
As I get older, I find that the general conversation with friends/family has shifted from the trivial "what are you going to do/buy?" to the more macabre "did you know so-and-so died?"

Fatass, that's great advice and something I've been struggling with in the past few years. I'll admit that once in a while, I'll still get caught up with myself and become less than considerate.

Besides being constantly being reminded of death, is there any other way to achieve this?

Thanks.

·
Administrator
11,045 Posts
Thanks bro.

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
Ive been in and around death for far too long. I did towing early in my life being my family has a towing company. When you would go to police calls of people crashing their cars and being killed in the accident, it really put it into perspective. People dont see how fragile and easy it is to loose someone close to you.

You gotta make every moment worth it, and make sure your loved ones know that you mean it.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
I just had a close friend die last week and it was just a reminder for why I dont hold grudges and why I try to see people as often as I can. We had all planned to meet at my house 2 days before he died to go riding. He was late as usual and wanted us to come to his house to get him. We almost said screw it and just went without him but we caved and rode over there. Knowing what I know now, I am so glad that we did. Life is short and we never know when our time is up. People make mistakes. They say and do stupid things. It is fine to get upset with someone but there is no point in holding grudges over minor things. Always make sure the people in your life know you care about them.

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
I agree. Had the same thing happen earlier this year-found about people around my age-mid 40's plus passing away. It hit home and I realized that if I dont change my ways, I am that guy in the story on his death bed that wished he spent more time with his family instead of at work. I need to learn to chill out and live life to the fullest with my family.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
Ive been in and around death for far too long. I did towing early in my life being my family has a towing company. When you would go to police calls of people crashing their cars and being killed in the accident, it really put it into perspective. People dont see how fragile and easy it is to loose someone close to you.

You gotta make every moment worth it, and make sure your loved ones know that you mean it.
I worked for a towing company for about a year, probably saw more tragic death that year than I have in total the past 35 years, the worse was a car that caught on fire with 2 people inside, mag wheels burn like flares

as I get older (I turn 60 this fall) I see more and more natural deaths. sometimes I wonder about my own mortality, I did go for an ambulance ride a couple weeks ago, thought I was having a heart attack, but most likley it was a reaction to being in the sun too long while taking Lyme meds. The CAT scan they did revealed a "bone inclusion" and they want me to go back for a MRI to make sure it isn't cancer

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
I ain't dead yet, fwiw, my doctor apparently doesn't think the MRI is important, just the radiology department covering their asses and trying to suck me in for spending more money to pay for the new extravagant building

·
site supporter
6,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I ain't dead yet, fwiw, my doctor apparently doesn't think the MRI is important, just the radiology department covering their asses and trying to suck me in for spending more money to pay for the new extravagant building

"Get your hands off my wallet, you damned dirty radiologists! "

1 - 13 of 13 Posts