Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just over a month ago, some friends and I went to Death Valley, taking what seemed like all the closed roads we could find. 2 SV650S and one SV650N (as well as a V-Strom, F800GS, and FZ6) went on the trip.

Day one, at 10am, we came across the reason why Coalinga Rd was closed:

Not to be shown up by our dual-sport brethren, we charged onward:

About an hour and a half after that, we found snow:

Day two was pretty uneventful, but my goodness this state is pretty. Day three was spent entirely in DV, and this place is beautiful beyond words. This was taken at Artists Palette:

Days four and five were spent coming home, but I haven't gone through the photos yet. The riding was too good—most of the pictures were taken from the bike, and they're all kinds of tilty. Total mileage was about 2800 miles.

If you're in the area (and even if you're not), you should visit. Doing it in April turned out to be a great idea, temperatures fluctuated between only 40° and 90°F depending mostly on your elevation (hottest at -200ft, coldest at 5700ft just before sunrise).

The paved roads that were open were great, even the snowy pass had no ice or other issues, and the roads that were gravel were easily tamed after getting used to never having any traction.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
some great pictures, you need to post the one of going through the water on advrider, it could make it to the front home screen of the site i bet. did you have problems with water getting down the front cylinder plug hole and running on only the back hole?

you should post more pictures! DV looks amazing.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Me and my buddy were just there at the end of April. Didn't see as much as we intended, were too burnt out. Did your SV run crappy after running in that water?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Me and my buddy were just there at the end of April. Didn't see as much as we intended, were too burnt out. Did your SV run crappy after running in that water?
after 5 days of solid riding we were getting pretty burnt out as well, though for some reason it went away as soon as I got home—right after I'd unloaded, I was back in the saddle and headed for the Santa Cruz Mountains for some familiar roads. Maybe it was just the promise of ending the day in my own bed instead of in a tent.

some great pictures, you need to post the one of going through the water on advrider, it could make it to the front home screen of the site i bet. did you have problems with water getting down the front cylinder plug hole and running on only the back hole?
Good thought on ADV, I've been neglecting my account there for ages. Maybe once I've gone through all my photos.

No problems with turning our bikes into SV325s, but we're all '08, so we have the little drain at the bottom of the plug hole (and a hot spare plug on the side of the head!). Even more importantly no one got more water in their snorkel than could be handled by the airbox drain. Me and another guy got water over our headlights :dizzy:

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
Very very cool. Love the pics, definitely would love to see more!

·
Registered
158 Posts
You are a warrior! Awesome pics, thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Excellent pics. Would definitely like to see some more.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
I did something like that in the water on my SV... except it was on a paved street... and it was a massive down pour.

NOT FUN AT ALL. Brakes get so soggy :(

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Wow! That looks like an amazing ride. I would be scared to cross water that deep on any motorcycle, much less in the middle of Death Valley where there is no help for when it goes wrong. What tires were you guys running? I have an extra set of rims that I want to put a set of dual sport tires on for some mild offroading.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What tires were you guys running? I have an extra set of rims that I want to put a set of dual sport tires on for some mild offroading.
dual sport tires?

:lmao:

the two SVSs were running Pilot Road 2, the SVN Pilot Road 3. great tires, but not really built for anything more challenging than a clean, damp road. later on we were all over the place on the gravel roads!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Post more pics man! :)
good way to get more pics: shame me!

here's three more, should have even more later this week.

after carving up artist's palette, I stopped to get some pictures/video and let the bike cool off:

it's a rare shot of my own bike (I was busy taking pictures of other people), you can get an idea of the dust, grime, gravel, and water (and snow) we dealt with just from my hugger. I bought it thinking it would help keep things clean back there, turns out it's just for show. so if you're thinking of a hugger hoping it'll help keep things clean, don't bother. ****.

on a related note, the stock fender makes an enormous difference. the SVN that was with us came with an eliminator that the prevous owner put on, and his rear end was covered in dirt. if you're ever going to go off-pavement, keep your stock shovel!

since our lead was ex-Coast Guard, we were up every morning at 5 or so, and one of those mornings we decided to go from our campsite (200 feet below sea level) to the nearest peak (5700 feet above sea level). the temperature difference was 90° at the campsite to 40° (and WINDY) at the peak, but the roads were nice and boy, was it pretty:

I huddled over a JetBoil to make coffee (and try to warm my hands—it didn't work, that thing is really efficient about getting the heat where it belongs) and once caffeinated, took a small walk to the top. this place is so vast, it boggles the mind:

more later…

1 - 20 of 37 Posts