Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. I hope I'm right to post this here.
I was wondering which gear I should bring. I have a perforated Leather Icon jacket that can get a little warm when it's hot out, but my mesh jacket is really part of a two-layer Teknic Spyder that isn't al that protective. My question, about how warm do the days get in that area in June?
Also, I don't have any kind of riding pants except some winter overpants. I was planning on buying some of the Icon Field Armor Leg/shin armor that fits under your pants. There's no way I'm going to be dragging knees. Will this suffice?

·
45% Member
7,585 Posts
Well, there are other faster roads to ride in the area as well. Most of what I saw last year was perf leather. And yeah, it does get rather hot during the days. I'd say bring the perf leather, and if you can afford them hit NewEnough.com for some textile pants.

Last year, I rode mostly in a Joe Rocket Pheonix mesh jacket, and Scorpion Deuce mesh/textile pants. Though I did bring my Scorpion All In jacket with me, and wore that in the evenings when it cooled down a bit. This year I'll be rocking a Scorpion Hat Trick mesh/textile jacket with the Deuce pants. I'm nowhere close to draggin knees either, though I did want to get full leathers for this year, the money just isn't there.

The Icon armor will be bettter than nothing though.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Bring the safest gear you have. as for the heat...deal with it, its worth it ;)

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
Plan for it to be about 5 degrees cooler than Harrisburg, and 10 degrees cooler on the top of the Cherohala. I wore my perfed leathers last year and was fine during the day. Evenings can get a bit nippy.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Plan for it to be about 5 degrees cooler than Harrisburg, and 10 degrees cooler on the top of the Cherohala. I wore my perfed leathers last year and was fine during the day. Evenings can get a bit nippy.
Agreed. Bring a bottle of water for the day trips, and a hoodie/sweater for the night rides.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Armored mesh is fine. Last year was HOT. Perfed leather is nice, but not necessary. I rode with (and crash tested) a JR mesh jacket and Cortech armored jeans, and was a-ok. Very glad to have had the armored gloves and boots, too. Don't overlook those.

Bring a jacket liner for underneath, or rain jacket / rainsuit to put over, as it can get cooler in the evenings and at higher elevations, and, it can rain.

Don't forget the Crown Royal, if you want to make some new friends. ;D

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Depends on how your riding. ride_naked and I usually wear JR Phoenix Pants and Jackets. We both have leathers, and Usually bring them. I've not worn mine (leathers).

If your going to have fun, and doing +5/10 over posted, Mesh will do you fine. More then that, Leathers, and $1000 in cash for bail $$.

Mark

·
Registered
11 Posts
no matter how u ride u need to wear all the protection u can get 1st time i rode th dragon i wore a joe rocket textile jacket along with bluejeans i thought that was fine 1 year later on a curve road i wiped out with that same protection the jacket tore up but protected me the jeans became shorts, $1000.00's of dollars later along withe $300.00 dollars of neosporain i new leathers would had saved my legs and right hand of severe pain and discomfort,its better 2 be hot in leathers than comfortable with roadrash....

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
I take my perf. leathers and usually my textile pants and jacket. I've never ridden in anything other than the leathers. I went down pretty hard last year on the dragon and walked away unscathed. The leathers held up very well and I have no doubt if I hadn't had them on it would have probably ended my riding for the trip.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I did it last year(not the rally) in jeans, race boots, gloves, and perf leather jacket. In saying that it is easy to get pumped up there and start riding a bit fast. Be on the lookout for a used suit or deals on new enough. A cheap leather suit is still better than no leathers at all.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I found a pair of tour master Apex leather pants for cheap and I'll go by Cycle Gear tonight to get the sliders on the knees. I don't know if I'll need them (doubt it) but I'd rather have them than not.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts