Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not to long ago i posted about an engine noise. I took my bike in for the 6500 mile tune up, when i took it in, i sounded and ran great. One i got it back, it was making this clicking noise. The dealership thinks that it is piston slap. Is it possible to get piston slap from starting the engine without oil. Of course the dealership denies anything like could ever happen. Why does this noise come out of no where after the dealer has the bike...this is so frustrating. Any help guys? Thanks.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hmmm....after MY first tuneup I also heard a clicking noise (barely noticable). I could swear that it wasn't there before (maybe it was, but I don't think so). I didn't even get outta the parking lot when I heard it and almost went back but I wasn't sure if was a new sound. If it's that same noise as yours maybe it's common and nothing to worry about. I dunno.

FWIW, I have about 6500 miles on her now and no problems.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Piston slap comes from when the piston has worn so much that is no longer slides smoothly inside the cylinder, and instead it "wiggles" or "bounces" back and forth inside the cylinder as it moves up and down. I HIGHLY doubt that you have piston slap; it would be a LOUD slapping noise coming from you cylinders, not a "ticking" or "clicking". Well, it could be a click, but it would have to be loud. Plus, with only 6500 miles on the clock, piston slap is doubtful unless you rev the piss outta your bike and abuse it like a track slut.
Starting a motor with no oil will not cause piston slap, but running the engine with no oil will. As long as you didn't log too many miles on an engine without oil, you should be okay. The thing is, oil is for cooling an lubircation, and without it, parts can warp and become damaged.
Again, piston slap is unlikey.

Dave

·
Registered
89 Posts
Sounds like the mechanic just gave BlueBeauty some bs answer w/o even thinking about what the problem could be b/c if he just stood there thinking about it and looked like he didn't know what the clicking was he'd just look like a dumbass.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have no idea what the mechanic was thinking. Perhaps he said it to try to lure BlueBeauty into leaving his bike there so he could "investigate" the clicking and have to tare the motor apart and claim he found whatever was wrong and fixed it, just to scam him out of money (like charging $60 an hour for labor and working for "5" hours on, with 10 bathroom visits and 3 lunch breaks while keeping him on the clock). Just a theory- i've seen mechanics do it. They try to prey on those who they figure might know nothing about what they're talking about so they can scam them into charges. (Not saying BlueBeauty doesn't know anything, but the mechanic falsely assumed so).

Dave

·
Registered
263 Posts
I believe it is Mercedes, VW or BMW that ship their cars "dry"(assembly grease, but no oil). According to them, it is allowable to log X miles onto boat, off boat, etc without incurring damage. Unless you know of some incident where bike was run sans oil, it is probably not piston slap, as covered in above posts.

BUT, you need to figure it out. My suggestions would be to take it to another dealer and have them check it out. Might cost you some $, but what is your stress worth. They might give you an adequate explanation of why it is supposed to make that noise and how, after your tune, bike runs differently enough that you notice something that has been there all along. They might give you another total BS answer, too. Ultimately you will have to decide whom you trust and go with it.

Me, I trust myself. To determine where noise is coming from, try these things.

1) When bike is cold, spray front and rear header flanges (where exhaust bolts to head) thoroughly with soapy water. You may have to remove some panels or seat to get a good view of the rear connection. When you start bike, look for bubbles that would indicate an exhaust leak. As you will see, rear bolts are a bitch to get at AND may have been "left off" the to-do" torque list when work was done. Exhaust leaks can sound like clicks.

2) If that doesn't help, grab a wooden stick, hold it with your fist around one end. Poke other end to various SAFE points on the bike and put your fist to your ear. It is a very simple stethescope that will allow you to hear many sounds of the inner workings on your bike. With enough prodding, you should be able to find where the clicking comes from, determine what the stick is resting on and figure the noise out.

3) Figure out if noise is always there, or what conditions it comes and goes (warm/cold, idle/acceleration/decel, etc)

It is easy to bitch at someone else's work and many mechanics/dealerships may give you PLENTY reasons to complain. That is why you must either find someone, trust them and stick with them or educate yourself so you will not be taken advantage of (if that is the case).

Best of luck.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Good advice. Even though I'm not the one that started this thread I'll look into this issue further on my bike. I haven't listened lately but I'll see if I can locate the clicking sound (if it's still there) and then go f/m there. Thanks.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Aha! These sound like more plausible (and less investigating/worry on my part ;) ) It's somewhat comforting to hear others are hearing this clicking. Although who knows if we're all hearing the same thing. ::)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No, it definatly is not a high pitch click, if you know what rad knock sounds like in a honda, it sounds sorta like that, but not as violent or as loud, but it is definatly louder than a click. It is very dependant on RPM. The sound is always there, but wind and exhaust noise drowned it out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.