Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy SV'ers:
My '02 1st gen electrics just died. I stopped at a store to shop, and when I came out to to start the bike; nothing. Turning the ignition on, and no power AT ALL... no lights, nothing. Checked the fuses on the spot, replaced them with the spares to be sure, and still nothing. Walked home for the truck, got it back and checked battery voltage (it's a year old).. and still have over 13volts. ( i did a mod with the FH008 ).... even hooked up the charger to be sure. All fuses are ok, battery ok, still nothing. I'm wondering if it's the ignition switch, or something else.... it was sputtering from time to time while riding, and figured I just needed to recalibrate the carbs after my rebuild. I'm the ****s with electrics, so any advice in layman's terminology would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
You should check for power with your meter. Turn the ignition to On and test for 12V at the Red going to the ignition switch. You should also see 12V on the Orange leaving the switch. There should also be 12V at the Orange entering the fuse box. If you see 12V at the Red wire but not on the Orange at the switch, then the ignition switch is at fault.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You should check for power with your meter. Turn the ignition to On and test for 12V at the Red going to the ignition switch. You should also see 12V on the Orange leaving the switch. There should also be 12V at the Orange entering the fuse box. If you see 12V at the Red wire but not on the Orange at the switch, then the ignition switch is at fault.
...cool, I'll check that... thanks RMAN.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Im having the same problem on my 01 everything has power and checked th ignition switch. checked it with a meter found out the ecu/cdi crapped out

Sent from my MB855 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
123 Posts
I had a bike with these exact symptoms, turned out to just be corroded battery connections. They looked fine from outside, but once I removed them I foun the corrosion underneath. Once cleaned and fresh everything worked and the bike idled/ran smoothly again. Start with the simple stuff.

·
Premium Member
3,729 Posts
Check the Main Fuse at the starter Relay (Main Fuse is NOT in the Fuse Box)
Check the battery terminals are clean & tight.
Check Ignition Switch connector plug for damage.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just a followup question... would the CDI have any bearing on this issue? It light up for a while then just quit again - I have 12V to the headshell, and I found resistance from the ignition (though I didn't check the orange wire for 12v leaving as mentioned by RMAN). What's the best way to test the CDI with the meter? thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts