Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

It's been a while since I've posted here. I haven't been riding since I left NC for PA in '09, and my SV has been sitting idle all the while. I'm going to get it back on the road for this fall...and I want to get it tuned up and ready to ride safely. It is an '02 svs with 15k, only powertrain mod is a full exhaust. I'm planning on doing at least the following things:

New Tires
Oil Change
Air Filter Change
New Chain
New Battery

Someone once told me that you should get your valves re-aligned every so often...and I don't think it's ever been done on this bike. Is that something I should look into? How about getting the carb re-jetted? Anything else I'm missing?

Any tips/suggestions would be great. Also, does anyone know of a reliable shop I could have do this work in the Philadelphia/South Jersey area?

Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
3,229 Posts
If you mothballed her properly you should be good with what you plan on changing plus some fresh gas in the tank (check tank for rust prior to adding) and freshly flushed brake fluid front and back. Never hurts to pull and grease the wheel axles and rear shock linkage pivots as well.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I'll put those things on my list. My 'mothballing' consisted of a fresh oil change, adding fuel stabilizer (tank about 1/4 full of gas), and putting saran wrap over the intake snorkel. Hopefully all is well with her...I can't wait to get riding again.

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
I would drain the tank, remove the petcock and check the screen/filter and swish some new gas into the tank and drain again. Fuel stabilizer only lasts for about 3-4months and you didn't have the tank full and you stored for 2 plus yrs. You didn't drain the float bowls of gas so the jets could be all mucked up. If you don't want to pull the carbs to inspect, at least fill the tank with fresh gas and a carb cleaner and see how the bike runs.

A valve clearance inspection is every 15K. If you have a full exhaust and not a slipon, you should rejett the carbs accordingly. Take a look at the plugs as well.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome, thanks for the help. Do you know how much I should expect a valve clearance adjustment and a rejetting should cost?

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
I've always done the work myself so best to call some dealers and shops and get some quotes. Checking the clearances doesn't take too much time, but if a shim needs to be replaced, the cam has to come out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts