Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's a huge feature in this month's Bike magazine on the new Triumph... They've been out testriding the production prototype, and DAMN! It looks even better than expected. Quite a few differences from the photochops, not nearly so generic looking... well, check it out. These are Triumph's own press shots. I don't have a scanner so these are digi camera shots from the mag, not perfect :) There's action shots of the bike on the road which I can't get a decent shot of, but they do look the same as these, so no jiggery pokery going on.

Their claimed figures are 123bhp at the crank at 12000rpm, 53lb/ft of torque (also at the crank) at 11,750. 74x52.3 stroke and bore with 12.65:1 compresion ratios... Wheelbase is 1392mm, rake and trail figures are 23.5/86.8 (with an adjustable swingarm position!) and the dry weight is claimed variously to be 155kg and 165kg (different in 2 parts of the pull-out).

But here's the bad news- only 5000 to be made in the first year! 4000 for the rest of the world, 1000 for the UK. Or, to put it another way, in the UK it'll sell out before there's even one in a showroom, same as the Sprint. Supposedly they'll be £7000UK. Only 5% of those 5000- that's 250, for the innumerate :) are going to be in the super-sexy graphite, but the yellow and red aren't too shabby either...

You should see the shot of it compared to a CBR600... The CBR looks seriously fat by comparison. There's about 6 pages of basically overexcited reviews :) But the long and short is, faster than the competition (they test it back to back with a CBR, 636 and Daytona 650), very focused but still road-usable. Steve WEstlake (deputy ed) sayd "I imagine what the competition will be in 2006, and I can't imagine anything beating this" whle Simon Hargreaves says "the Daytona 675 is a bike cast in the same mould as Honda's R30 in 1988, or the Ducati 916 in 1992"

Last thing, I don;t think there'll be a mini Speed Triple, least not in this frame- it just looks pretty ugly nekkid. Could be wrong, but I can't see it.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Northwind,
Now that's a nice looking ride my friend. When you gonna get one? ;D
Cheers!

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Me? I can't afford a new bike till 2010 :) Won;t stop me from testriding one when it comes out though.

·
Registered
5,127 Posts
Northwind said:
£7000UK, which is more or less the price of a GSXR600.
Maybe I'm missing something, but isn't £7000UK around $13,000US? That's hardly the price of GSXR600.

Either way, I wouldn't mind owning that bike. Thanks for going through the trouble of taking those pictures.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yup, you're missing something- your currency = f***ed :) £7000UK is the price of a new GSXR in the UK. Also, you can't just do a direct $/£ conversion, you get a totally skewed figure, since that £7000 includes all UK sales taxes, registrations etc. Also, they'll probably get tax breaks on the exports, which should enable them to cut the price for the US.

A Bonnie T100's MRSP is $8000US, £5800UK. So assuming they use the same sort of price transfer, the Daytona MRSP will end up at around $9500US. Don't know how much a Bonnie actually costs, since nothing ever sells for MRSP, so you could probably do some maths on that and get a more realistic figure.

·
Registered
369 Posts
god I need this bike, I think i'll be going into debt for it this winter...man that sucks. I totally missed this post too...hehe

·
Eagle one
1,660 Posts
gonzo221 said:
god I need this bike, I think i'll be going into debt for it this winter...man that sucks. I totally missed this post too...hehe
Frank......... I was waiting for you too see it :p

·
Registered
79 Posts
Bloody hell!! That looks seriously focused, obvious design cues from the current crop of sportsbikes but looks pretty good, being picky I'd say the front looks a little odd from the side with the tyre so far in front of the nose.

I'll be interested to read some reviews if/when it gets down this part of the world.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Shit why didnt they go ahead and make it a 750. thats some major cheating...you cant test thit 600s

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
675 triples are legal in a lot of SS race series, is why... Triumph say they'll not be doing any factory or factory-supported racing with it, but it's obviously on their minds. But it's no more an unfair comparison than the 636 or the old Daytona. 10 horse doesn't make that much difference on the road, it's all about how you use it, and that's where the 675 got the best comments in that review.

From what I've read, they'd be pretty happy to have it tested against the GSXR750...

G

·
Hmm ok can someone help me out with this. First off let me say i love the new bike and wouldn't mind owning it in the least so these aren't bashing questions but just questions. First off $9500 is alot closer to the 05 GSXR1000 in price then to the gsxr 600 isn't it? Its been a few years since i checked out prices on new bikes but i know that the SS 600's use to be about 8k and the 1000 were about 10k. Also how do they get the horse power and torque numbers. According to the last mag i got that tested the 05 speed triple (1054cc i think but i know it was above the 1k mark) peak horse was about 119ish and torque was lower as well. I'm just curious since i would love to have one of these in my stable at some point.

·
Premium Member
6,627 Posts
jaycee said:
Hmm ok can someone help me out with this.  First off let me say i love the new bike and wouldn't mind owning it in the least so these aren't bashing questions but just questions.  First off $9500 is alot closer to the 05 GSXR1000 in price then to the gsxr 600 isn't it?  Its been a few years since i checked out prices on new bikes but i know that the SS 600's use to be about 8k and the 1000 were about 10k.  Also how do they get the horse power and torque numbers.  According to the last mag i got that tested the 05 speed triple (1054cc i think but i know it was above the 1k mark) peak horse was about 119ish and torque was lower as well.  I'm just curious since i would love to have one of these in my stable at some point.
i think the spped triple is more torquey and has less peak HP, price? the r6 and honda is about $9K in 2006, i'm personally gonna wait till the end of the month, till the official release on the triumph website,

anyone wanna buy an sv ;D

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
One thing is, that's claimed crank HP. Real world at the rear wheel will be less. The Speed Triple claims 128

And as the Jimdaddy says, check out the torque. The triple makes a claimed 78lb/ft of torque vs the Daytona's 53lb, massive difference there, and the Speed Triple has less of a torque and power curve, than a wall. In its class, torque is more important, but if they'd launched a SS600(ish) with 100bhp but 10lb/ft more torque than the competition they'd be a laughing stock. (even though IMO that'd be a better option than going for peak) Just different engines tuned for different jobs.

Also, as Jimdaddy says, wait for the official release for proper US prices, all you can do is take guesses based off UK prices.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts