Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all,

About time I put a thread up here I guess. I'm more active on a local Aus forum, so a lot of what follows is cut&pasted from there.

Discussion thread is here: DarkHorse's Downgrade Discussion Thread

Backstory:
I've been riding for 10 years or so, most of that on Triumph Daytona 675s. The last one was stolen in May 19, and the insurance paid out the finance and left me with enough in hand to buy something much cheaper... so I found a neglected, bone stock, but otherwise reasonable looking 2008 S model - I've never really liked nakeds so even half a fairing was better than none:

It had been sitting unused for a year, so obviously needed a good going over, but everything was there and everything worked. It was also nice to find one completely unmolested... so I could do all the molesting myself the way I wanted it.

So molest it I did...

First job was to drain the stale fuel, then remove and clean out the fuel pump/filter assembly to try and fix the whining. It was pretty cruddy but not as bad I thought it might be:

Drilled a relief hole for the return valve while I had it all apart:

Whine still happens occasionally, but not as often and not as loud. I also changed the oil and coolant, oil filter and air filter to K&N, plus new Iridium plugs and put the battery through a refurb program on the charger.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Paint was peeling off the front rim and fork lowers (which were leaking):

Chain was rusted to hell:

...and brakes needed serious attention/upgrading, as did suspension at both ends...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Easy stuff first - 520 conversion with a +2 rear sprocket:

Threw a shark-fin toe guard on while I was in the neighbourhood:

Wheels both got a bit of a spruce up with rattle-can black while they were off the bike:

As did the lower triple-clamp:

Everything that comes off the bike gets at least a good scrub, preferably some fresh paint, and every fastener that I can source gets replaced with new.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not quite so simple stuff:

Forks got completely torn down and rebuilt with 0.9 Sonic Springs, 15w oil, new seals, and fresh paint:

While I had access to the front I made up a radiator and oil cooler guard out of aluminium gutter mesh:

All three calipers also got a tear-down rebuild and spruce-up:

While the fluid was drained I also threw a full set of Galfer braided lines on:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A couple of little aesthetic touches also made their way onto the bike...

Tinted screen, just a cheapie to see how I liked the colour and profile:

LED parkers and HID headlamps:

Custom (home) made fender eliminator, plus LED indicators front and rear:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Easy breathy stuff - SV1K snorkel:

Tank spacers:

Factory Pro velocity stacks:

Leo-mura exhaust - Leo Vince full system pipe work, and Yoshi tri-oval can (still a work in progress to get the muffler position finalised.)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sourced a sock from a '13 model ZX6R:

Began the joyous process of negotiating it in around battery box and ABS module. Spaced the ABS away from the frame:

Initially bent the hard lines to fit around, then cracked it and got a custom 90deg elbow made up to connect to the braided line and simplify everything. End result - loads of room...

Also threw some TechSpec tank grips on it:

And some gratuitous bling hardware:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Stepping things up a notch...

Bazzaz ZFi, just running the publicly available full exhaust tune for the moment:

Braking 19mm MC and Rizoma reservoir to suit:

Gilles rearsets:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A couple more little touches...

TrackDay Electronics gear position indicator:

Smaller prettier mirrors:

Genuine solo seat cowl:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I think that's it pretty much up to date so far, in very superficial, very vague chronological order. I've done about 5,000km on it now, and am quite fond of it, as well as very impressed given it's budget market position.

There are a few more things in the works, when I get a bit more time and money to dedicate to it...

GSXR600 rear wheel with 180-section rear tyre:

Gen1 intake cams for the exhaust side of my motor:

Also a replacement stock swingarm which will go on when I do the rear wheel swap, and a fender extender when I do the biggest thing on the future...

WISHLIST
  • GSXR front end swap
  • Finalise exhaust
  • Dyno tune
  • New tyres
  • Full fairing, inc hugger
  • Paint (thinking black w/gold mica and gold stripe)
Then TRACK TIME!!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Finally got my act together and ordered the 2x 45deg bends and TIG supplies I needed to get the muffler in the right place:

I ended up having to use the bend in the original link pipe to get the angle into the muffler, and also decided to use the flare to join it back to the link pipe:

Spent a good few hours linushing most of the grinder marks out... and I reckon it looks pretty good:

Also drilled one of the rivets out and replaced it with a rivnut to bolt to the pillion peg for extra strength:

Final position - tucked in nice and neat. Slightly uncomfortably close to the tyre given I will soon be going 20mm wider, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it:

Now just waiting on some spring loops to tack on then I can slap some sealant on the joints and call it done!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts