Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I am having an issue with my 00 not wanting to start sometimes. Lately my bike will not always start when I hit the starter. I will hit the starter and get nothing at all. I will sit there and flick the switches around for a little bit and move the handlebars back and forth and eventually wammo the thing starts right up. Now moving the handlebars and then it starting makes me think a wire is pinched or something.

I tried to follow the starter switch wires all the way back but it just kinda goes into more wires. I also plugged the battery into a charger and it is 100% charged.

Also lately the head light and gauges have kinda been flickering a little not going out just flickering. The flickering seems to get worse when I rev the engine, (more vibrations?)

Any idea guys. Just not sure where to look.

Thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had the same starting problems...
It turned out to be a bad sensor for the clutch (bottom side of clutch, two wires w/ plug). I just cut off the plug, wired them together and completed the loop. Ever since, I have had no issues.
Don't know about the flickering though. The ground sounds most likely. Start at the battery and work your way up checking connections and wear on the wires as you go. A voltage meter can save you a lot of time.

·
Premium Member
3,098 Posts
u can have a loose connection in any of the circuits really, but it sounds like somewhere in the ignition system.

think about it, if it doesnt start, you start with the starting circuit, battery connections, safety switches(clutch, kicstand, etc.). they all seem to be ok. you wiggle the handlebars(also moving the ignition around)...it starts up, and then the flickering lights?....i would look at the ignition circuit IMHO

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok well f-ing awsome. Thank you harper78 it was the clutch switch, I bridged the connection and now it is starting up just fine. Seems that the two issue are separate because I still have the flickering lights but hey at least it friggin starts everytime now. One thing at a time right. Thanks guys

·
Registered
39 Posts
Good you found it.

I tell you what. I was fighting electrical problems with my bike because it wouldn't start. I took the wiring diagram and tried to eliminate each sensor one by one (clutch, kickstand, etc...) until I found the fault. I even took half of the wiring harness apart. It turned out that there were two wires that rubbed through and were shorting out.

I hate electrical issues.

·
Premium Member
5,615 Posts
ok well f-ing awsome. Thank you harper78 it was the clutch switch, I bridged the connection and now it is starting up just fine. Seems that the two issue are separate because I still have the flickering lights but hey at least it friggin starts everytime now. One thing at a time right. Thanks guys
I suggest you do the following as far as your flickering lights are concerned:

1. Remove the battery terminal connections, give them a light scuff with fine sandpaper and wipe them clean. Reconnect and make sure they're good and tight.
  2. Do the same for the connectors at the starter solenoid.
  3. Follow the main ground from the -ve battery terminal to under the right side of the motor. You might have to pull off your right footpeg to get at it - it's a pain in the ass! The bolt is chromed and should be free of corrosion, but clean up the copper connector with sandpaper & clean the connector and bolt with contact cleaner and put it back nice and tight.

I also suggest you do this soon, because the difference between a bike with lights that flicker now and then and a bike that cuts out on the highway and leaves you stranded is VERY small. Ask me how I know. :p

·
Super Moderator
9,148 Posts
I suggest you do the following as far as your flickering lights are concerned:
  1. Remove the battery terminal connections, give them a light scuff with fine sandpaper and wipe them clean. Reconnect and make sure they're good and tight.
  2. Do the same for the connectors at the starter solenoid.
  3. Follow the main ground from the -ve battery terminal to under the right side of the motor. You might have to pull off your right footpeg to get at it - it's a pain in the ass! The bolt is chromed and should be free of corrosion, but clean up the copper connector with sandpaper & clean the connector and bolt with contact cleaner and put it back nice and tight.
I also suggest you do this soon, because the difference between a bike with lights that flicker now and then and a bike that cuts out on the highway and leaves you stranded is VERY small. Ask me how I know. :p
^+1
If that's not it, bad contacts inside the ignition switch can also cause the lights to flicker. Worse with engine vibration is a dead giveaway for a faulty connection.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts