Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... hurts my motor to go so slow...

... or, maybe not.

Turns out, this year's Dam Bike Rally has been cancelled. That should cut down significantly on the number of cruisers clogging up The Dragon. Hooray!

http://www.dambikerallyatthedragon.com/

·
SV Hadder
10,486 Posts
you see, it is doctored picture (also known in modern slang as a photochop) of the Hindenburg disaster. A common reaction to that event would have been "Oh the Humanity!" but alas, the derigable has been deviously replaced with a large water mammal from your home state known as the Manatee. And given that the manatee has been enlarged to fit the proportons of aforementioned blimp, it is therefore "Huge"

Thusly, "Oh the Huge Manatee" is both dramatic, and comical.

·
Registered
830 Posts
It wasn't just a common reaction. It's where the saying came from. The radio announcer covering the disaster said it. You'll hear it a lot in things that pull together clips of old news footage. It's in Glenn Beck's bumper music right now. Disclaimer: I'm neither a Glenn Beck fan nor a Glenn Beck hater. He's all that's on in Cleveland as I drive into work.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I was just adding a little background, since it's interesting, but I would note that "semantics" is about the study of meaning (and its relation to symbols) in communication, it's not just an excuse we can use on the internet when we say something innaccurate or unclear. To say something "would have been a common reaction" when it was in fact the famous reaction of one guy isn't just a semantic difference, but it does make a huge difference in what you're communicating.

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
I'm not surprised. The turnout at the shindig they had at Fontana was dismal at best.
Rest assured though, you will get stuck behind at least one rolling road block. It's one of Newton's unpublished Laws, the Law of Ethereal Disappointment.

If you're LUCKY, you won't get stuck behind an insurmountable wall of cruiser-laden, corn-fed, butch lesbians traveling absolutely NO faster than 20 mph no matter the conditions. PLUS, if you're really lucky, you won't get the distinct life-experience of watching them high-five/man-hug each other repeatedly while parked at the overlook. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
If you're LUCKY, you won't get stuck behind an insurmountable wall of cruiser-laden, corn-fed, butch lesbians traveling absolutely NO faster than 20 mph no matter the conditions. PLUS, if you're really lucky, you won't get the distinct life-experience of watching them high-five/man-hug each other repeatedly while parked at the overlook.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts