Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My textile jacket is finally in tatters. It's served me well enough over the last 7 years (wow has it really been that long?) since I started riding. I can attribute this mostly due to never having crashed on the street. I'm looking for a leather jacket for street riding, something a little nicer to treat myself. I want it to be subtle, black, no boy racer graphics or anything like that. Everyone seems to want to print huge gaudy logos all over the chest these days. The one brand I keep coming back to is dainese. Their jackets look amazing, but cost an arm an a leg.

Is it worth it? I would be spending about $700 on a jacket, that's more than my race suit friggin cost. I am in love with these in terms of looks, but noone local stocks em.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dainese-r-twin-leather-jacket

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dainese-greyhound-leather-jacket

·
Registered
272 Posts
Well... That is a question that is going to bring a variety of answers from many different people. Those who own cheap equipment will tend to say that Dainese is way over priced, and those with expensive equipment will talk about the quality you get. I personally purchased a Dainese jacked from revzilla.com about 6 months ago.

This is the one I purchased: (the black/white)

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dainese-rapier-leather-jacket

Now, anyone who spent the $450-700 on a Dainese leather jacket will tell you that they do not regret the purchase, and that the quality and fit of one of their jackets is as good as it gets, and after my purchase I am one of those people. If you do buy one of these jackets there is no doubt that you will not regret your purchase and will be very happy with your jacket for a decade. That said; the price does not all go towards quality, you are paying a little extra for the Made in Italy tag. If that amount of money will be debilitating for you bank account then by all means opt for a cheaper jacket. But if you do have the money go for it!! The quality of the leather alone is really quite amazing, and again you will be very, very happy with your purchase. You will be able to rest assured that the level of protection provided with the jacket is second to none, and that is something you will continue to worry about with cheaper equipment.

Just my two cents...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Have you looked at rev it? Their "IGnition" jacket is pretty sleek and simple for everyday use. It's a mix of leather and textile

·
Registered
774 Posts
I went with a Spidi jacket this year, and it's by far nicer than the other jackets I've had. The difference is noticeable everywhere, especially in the quality of the leather and stitching, etc.

That said, if I was spending my own money on a $700 jacket, you better believe I'd be trying on a few in the store first.

http://www.dainese.com/us_en/storelocator/
Time for a nice ride :)

Oh crap. I just realized I'm maybe just really lucky and happen to be closish to a store. I guess you'll have to order online and see what you think. There are some retailers (revzilla for one) that will let you return for free, just pay return shipping.

·
Registered
7,591 Posts
I'll +1 to Rev'It as a slightly more value-conscious alternative. I would have suggested the Union or Rebel jackets based on your Dainese selections, rather than the Ignition.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
I'm in the camp that says if you can swing it, go for it. My own gear is meh... but I own some other nice stuff, and I've never regretted a high quality purchase. The initial layout only stings once, if it's quality the rewards will last a long time.

I read an article the other week about a black leather jacket from a company called River Road. I think that's what they're called, I know nothing about them. Anyway, the jacket, or leather rather, was treated in a way that it reacts to sunlight as if the leather were white. In other words the leather was very cool in direct sunlight. I think their style is pretty toned down, but again, I don't know much about them. Just thought that was cool.

As for dainese, I wouldn't even consider buying without first trying it on. And at that price there are plenty of options. If you are gonna spend that much make sure you have fun doing it!

·
Registered
327 Posts
For me, yes. I have long arms and I'm generally slender so it fits me better than any other brand I've found. I have an A* GP-R jacket that manages (because I could not afford Dainese leather at the time) but my textile jackets are all Dainese and fit like a glove. I used to be able to wear Rev'It but they've moved to more an "American" cut.

Fit is part of the safety of a piece. That's enough for me.

·
Registered
7,591 Posts
I called Revzilla when I bought my Tarmac pants because I am kind of in between sizes. The salesperson was very helpful. He referred to a chart built from their own pool of employees and made the perfect recommendation for a size.

Their sizing charts and video descriptions seem spot on. As long as you don't have any unique dimensions (like exceptionally long arms) you should be good to go.

I highly recommend picking up a cloth tape measure and taking your own measurements before ordering, and be truthful with yourself. Just because you wear a 34" waisted jeans doesn't mean your waist actually measures 34".

·
Registered
575 Posts
Well, I have the RTwin jacket and it is very nice. But to answer your question- no I don't think Dainese gear is worth it. I base my statement based on the Rtwin and the SF pants I have. Dainese gear looks/feels/fits/smells great. But I honestly don't think it's as ruggedly constructed as some other high end gear. I think of it as the high fashion choice, with a sacrifice in durability. My jacket is nice, but it's actually fairly thin and I don't think would hold up that well in a crash. Also the pants/jacket zipper started separating (i.e. stitches failing) after owning the jacket for only a few weeks. Pretty lame...

The pants- well, I had some stitches fail in a non-wear area requiring a repair of a hole after just a couple weeks of ownership. And now I have another hole developing and some significant wear on the inside of the knees where they contact the tank. Yes, I have techspec tank grips, but they don't seem like they should be that abrasive. Only had the pants a few months before that issue developed. I'm a weekend rider fwiw.

Long story short, I'm kinda soured on Dainese. I don't think I'll be buying their stuff in the future. I've seen their boots falling apart without crashing in them. Holes in their top of the line gloves, etc. I think I will go for Vanson or Helimot for my next leathers. Styling/comfort may not be as good, but they are thick and durable by all reports.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I am too in the same boat, I love their designs because it doesn't scream Ed Hardy t-shirts or "look at me, I'm a boy racer" esque.

I'm saving to get the Dainese Stripes jacket, but I'm a little hesitant. My first Dainese purchase were the Carbon Cover Gloves and the stitching was coming apart on the middle finger. www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dainese-carbon-cover-gloves

They were double stitched, but the leather had separated from the stitching itself. Quality of the leather and design is amazing compared to others, but they still had a hole and were brand new out of the package.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have full dainese gear and have no regrets. If you want something that is not too flashy, take a look at the dainese zen jacket. The only supplier of it is cyclegear, and it's around $500. Fits perfect and doesn't have any gaudy huge logos. If you wait till the new 2013 gear comes out, the zen usually goes on sale for around $100-$150 cheaper then the normal price.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
322 Posts
I tried on the rtwin jacket and loved it, but ended up going with the rev it ignition. The ignition is more versatile and i'm really glad I got it as it has served well in the summer at temps up to around 90 and it worked well in the spring at temps in the 50's, and it was cheaper too. I was thinking a nice hybrid jacket like the ignition as my main piece and then maybe later a dainese textile or something for winter riding. They also make nice textile pieces.

I will stick to higher end gear from now on though as the fit is just way better than my joe rocket air mesh jacket at least for my body type, 6'3 190 lbs.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Is it worth it? I would be spending about $700 on a jacket, that's more than my race suit friggin cost. I am in love with these in terms of looks, but noone local stocks em.
I'm surprised no one mentioned it but you can get a custom 2 piece suit from Spartan Leathers for about that. You could just get a jacket too for cheaper. Pick colors to suit your style, and you can make it work with any other gear you already have. Might be worth checking out. Plus the owner is an active member on here.

He also has a textile suit now.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Rev'It for me, I find Dainese way too expensive what it is. The REV'IT stuff is just as good and at a better price. And I am no one to skimp out on gear price wise.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
If you live in a major metropolitan area you can generally find very lightly used Dainese gear on craigslist for a lot less than what you would pay retail. I know a couple people who have picked up Dainese race suits on craigslist for a few hundred dollars.

I see the Ducati labeled gear, which is made by Dainese, all the time on CL.

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
I went with Sedici gear from Cycle Gear and don't regret it one bit! It's an off the rack size so it could use some tailoring but for what I paid and how thick it is I'm happy! Next purchase will prolly be a one piece from Spartan!

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
let me clarify- I don't have a problem with spending 600-700 on the jacket, I just want to be sure that its a well made piece that's worth the price, and I'm not just paying for the brand name. Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Bought a set of lightweight summer glove that were Dainese for $100.
The stitching in the fingers was not very comfortable either.
Wore them anyway because they cost so much.
Only got a season out of them before the palm wore out.

That' my only experience, but will probably not be going back.
I'll stick with the less expensive brands for replaceable wear items.
Not as showy, but gets the job done.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
1 - 20 of 71 Posts