Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I start a new job Monday that requires me to travel statewide and SE region 5 days a week. I have checked out the iron butt site for recommendations for what to carry touring. Wanting to know is there something sv/suzuki specific you have noticed a pattern as to what you highly recommend carrying.

What is your list of to haves?
I have the room for quite a bit.

So far i have come up with

sv repair manual
Air compressor
Tire plug kit
5-10mm allens
fuses
bulbs
1/4 & 3/8 ratchets
torque wrench
spark plugs
chain lube
8-19 3/8" sockets
7-13 1/4" sockets
multi meter
electrical tape
zip ties
8-17 ratchet wrenches
axle & spark plug sockets
oil/coolant(small amount)
hose clamps(various sizes for fuel/oil/water lines)
flashlight
needlenose pliers
wire strippers/cutter/crimper
water(for me or the bike whichever needs it first)
MP3 (for my sanity)
4 way screwdriver
first aid kit
wet/cold gear
16ga. wire
tire pressure gauge
"blue" threadlocker

If you can think of anything else....

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
waaaaay too much stuff, in 135k on my SV, never even needed to use the tool kit that comes with the SV for roadside repairs

flat tire kit is all you need

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree but after using Google first BEFORE posting seems a lot of tourers carry a lot for the inevitable. I think a few essential sockets ,compressor,plug kit,gear, oil,water,4 way screwdriver,flashlight,first aid, and 1 or 2 odds and ends should suffice (unless I start slackin on maintaining the sv.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I think it depends on just how remote you'll be. If we're talking the Badlands of Utah, or Death Valley, maybe you'll want all that. If we're talking no more than 10 miles from Suburbia, then a cell phone might cover it.

Maybe the AMA roadside assistance plan?

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
I think it depends on just how remote you'll be. If we're talking the Badlands of Utah, or Death Valley, maybe you'll want all that. If we're talking no more than 10 miles from Suburbia, then a cell phone might cover it.

Maybe the AMA roadside assistance plan?

requires me to travel statewide and SE region 5 days a week. ...
if plans were to be in a remote area I might suggest an auxillary fuel tank that's about it

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Wow, that's a lot of stuff!

You asked about anything SV specific...the only thing I can think of is dielectric grease. When it's raining or even when the roads are just a little wet, the front spark plug can sometimes get spray from the front tire, and get wet enough that the front cylinder begins to cut out...sometimes completely shuts down, and sometimes just intermittantly on-off-on-off (as you can imagine, it can be VERY dangerous while riding for your bike to suddenly and unexpectedly lose half of it's power, and then as soon as you kinda settle into it, suddenly and unexpectedly double it's power).

so...either a small tube of dielectric grease or a few of those little packets of it that they sell at auto zone, along with a dry rag or paper towel to dry the plug and boot off really well before applying it.

BTW...I'm not sure if Suzuki fixed this issue in later models, but it's definitely an issue on my 04, and my friend's 03.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do recall reading a lot of posts here about that front cyl. .

I think the flap center and top front of the rad. is for blocking all the water, cause so far in pouring rain no issues but thanks for mentioning that.

I think I am just gonna carry lube,gear,flashlight compressor,tire plug kit,fuses,and bulbs for now.

That list was huge and I still wonder why carry so many tools?? Thnx for your input.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
waaaaay too much stuff, in 135k on my SV, never even needed to use the tool kit that comes with the SV for roadside repairs

flat tire kit is all you need
Not even to get back on the road after a crash?

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
Not even to get back on the road after a crash?
my experience is either you can ride it or you can't, all the tools in the world don't help of you don't have the replacement parts , he's not going to siberia

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
my experience is either you can ride it or you can't, all the tools in the world don't help of you don't have the replacement parts , he's not going to siberia
In my experience, the tools in the toolkit made getting back on the road possible twice.

Edit: zip ties were also indispensable.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah the repair manual was on my list so that is def. going with me. I have seen here in posts about the front sprocket and counter shaft, why in the world would I need to carry a counter shaft with me???? Are the sv counter shafts that cra$$y?

And why a front sprocket, I check and clean/inspect the front every other time I clean the chain which is about every 600-1300 miles??

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Yeah the repair manual was on my list so that is def. going with me. I have seen here in posts about the front sprocket and counter shaft, why in the world would I need to carry a counter shaft with me???? Are the sv counter shafts that cra$$y?

And why a front sprocket, I check and clean/inspect the front every other time I clean the chain which is about every 600-1300 miles??
They misunderstood the question and were suggesting that you replace your front sprocket with a smaller one to help a bit with gas mileage.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
gotit TCL , I had a blonde moment there.

·
Premium Member
5,615 Posts
They misunderstood the question and were suggesting that you replace your front sprocket with a smaller one to help a bit with gas mileage.
I think you mean bigger. :)

The first list is crazy, the 2nd list makes more sense. If you bring a cell phone and a credit card with you, you'll be fine almost all the time.

If you're bringing fuses then a 30A main fuse should be in your kit - supposedly this is a point of failure on some bikes.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
zip ties, flat kit, spare levers are always nice too. All depends on the length of your trip.
thats what a lot of posters in this thread don't get

the original poster is not going on a trip, or a sport ride

he's going to be doing what I have done for several years and well over 100,000 miles

he's going to be using his SV as an everyday work vehicle, travelling statewide, putting a lot of miles on

minimal gear and a well maintained bike is all that is needed

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
I think you mean bigger. :)

The first list is crazy, the 2nd list makes more sense. If you bring a cell phone and a credit card with you, you'll be fine almost all the time.

If you're bringing fuses then a 30A main fuse should be in your kit - supposedly this is a point of failure on some bikes.
yup, bigger of course..

+1 on extra 30A fuses. stupid stuff like shorted plate light will kill the 30A fuse.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts