Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I was riding to work in the rain this morning, something finally dawned on me. "You have a car, why the hell are you riding to work in crappy weather"? That is a question I have difficulty answering. The truth is my days are different when I don't ride. I feel more disconnected, and like I have let myself down. For some reason I have put pressure on myself to ride everyday, not too say that I don't enjoy it, but at the same time riding in foul weather when you have a car available strikes me as being a foolish thing to do. I know a lot of other folks here have cars that pretty much never see the light of day, I guess I just want to hear about what motivates you guys to ride daily.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
I *like* riding in the rain. It is fun--of course, I have rain gear, though. I can see better than in my car in the rain. I'm also in LA, so rain invariably means lots of accidents and traffic--and I can lane split past them. If I'm in my car I just get frustrated thinking, "bah, if I were on the bike now..."

When I don't get to ride my bike I just don't have as good of a day, I find. While I like my car, I just don't like it as much as my bike. It puts me in a good mental state.

I don't think it's foolish at all.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I don't ride if it's raining when I get up in the morning, but I ride every other day rain or shine.

·
Registered
358 Posts
There's something wrong with the rain?

Technically I could walk to work if I wanted since it's pretty much the only thing within walking distance of my apartment, but why? Rain's not an issue, I've got waterproof gear. Heat's not an issue when I'm moving. Wear enough layers and you'd have to break local low record temperatures before it would be too cold to ride. The only weather I'd consider too bad to ride in is extreme wind, which we get in excess of 50mph+ sometimes, and snow that sticks on the road. That last part is key since non-sticky snow doesn't count. Riding home from work this last Tuesday felt like I was flying thru Hoth. It's fun to ride to work, even if it's a short ride for me, and it helps set the mood for the day.

If it's anything other than work I don't really have much of a choice, though. My bikes are my only transport, and so far in 3+ years I've not needed anything different. Once in a while I'd get stuck for a few days where I can't ride the bike due to snow, but why buy a car just for a couple days a year?

Bad weather just makes riding more exciting. Riding to work in dry sunshine doesn't help as much as riding to work during a heavy storm.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I catch myself thinking that a few times during the winter. Oh, it's too cold today! *Rides to work* Okay, that was too cold, not doing that again! *rides to work next day* That's not so bad!

I really enjoy riding, and as long as the temp is about 40 and up, I'll try to ride to work. I've only been in the rain a few times, but enough to know that it's not a big deal, so as long as it's not actively raining on the way in to work, I'll plan on riding. And even then, I have rain gear!

But yeah...people do ask me: wtf did you ride instead of drive your car? I just shrug my shoulders and say it's more fun on the bike!

·
Registered
370 Posts
I ride every day and love it. Rain, shine, holy crap I have to ride sideways in the wind.

Every time I end up behind the wheel of a cage, all I can really think about is how much it blows; how clumsy I feel, how slow I am, and how little I can see out of my windows.

·
Registered
680 Posts
You guys are bumming me out. I'd been riding to work at least four days a week, but then my 17-year-old daughter pulled some stupid sh-t that caused us to park her car in the garage until the end of the semester. Now I have to pick her up on the way home from work, which means I have to drive the car, which means the bike only gets ridden on weekends. Somehow, her punishment has become my punishment. Teenagers. Bah!

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
When I was somewhat younger I used to feel guilty if I didn't commute on my bicycle. I'd bicycle in just about any weather.

Living in New Orleans I rode motorcycle many times in the rain. It's a little extra trouble staying dry, but not a big deal with decent gear.

Now I'm retired and find that I ride for fun, and usually will avoid bad weather. Getting lazy, I guess.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
You guys are bumming me out. I'd been riding to work at least four days a week, but then my 17-year-old daughter pulled some stupid sh-t that caused us to park her car in the garage until the end of the semester. Now I have to pick her up on the way home from work, which means I have to drive the car, which means the bike only gets ridden on weekends. Somehow, her punishment has become my punishment. Teenagers. Bah!
Get her a helmet and some gear. :p

·
Registered
28 Posts
some of you are lucky to be able to ride in the winter.

I'm in Minnesota. I start riding when it's above freezing to avoid icy patches, ending riding when the snow flies. dress warm and love it. no insurance on the car in the summer.

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
I left the house this morning it was 35 degrees, heavy fog, and drizzling rain. I got to class and everybody asked if my car was broke. They couldn't comprehend why anyone would ride in those conditions. I am happier when I ride, even in crappy weather. I especially like riding on days I have big exams, it helps relax me beforehand, and then it helps me unwind afterwards.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Currently i ride 100% of the time both my cars are down at the moment, i dont mind riding in bad weather i only dont ride or carpool when there is ice on the road. it snows alot here but seldon acumolates.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Get her a helmet and some gear. :p
Actually have some. She's the only one in the family who's ever shown an interest. Rides 2-up with me once in a while. Problem is actually that I have a son to pick up, too. We've had a few beautiful days recently when I've taken the bike and just let them sit around and wait for me to get the car and come back for them, but I don't want to do that to them too much. But, I'm sure this is TMI for you guys.

·
Registered
375 Posts
When I don't get to ride my bike I just don't have as good of a day, I find. While I like my car, I just don't like it as much as my bike. It puts me in a good mental state
+1

I actually enjoy riding in the rain! Like others mentioned, the vision is better, but also, I find it quite satisfying.

Some of my best road trips have been in pouring rain, uncomfortable, and fighting big wind. It's easier to really look "into" yourself, when you eliminate all the distractions of a warm, sunny day.

Besides, I've learned more about traction riding twisties in the rain, than I ever could have in good conditions, and at much lower speeds, with less traffic.

See you on the Road!
Darryl

·
Registered
4 Posts
For me its easy. I hate driving,Love riding. The guys at work give me crap all the time but I dont care. I freeze my nuts off all the time, but its worth it!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
208 Posts
7min ride into work. in a car 12. you do the math! a little drizzle never hurt anybody. though rain plus wind and its the trusted volvo. yes, i am a mild mannered safety first volvo owner by day and sv rider by well day, night, and all hours in between. my ride to work takes me past the potomac river into DC. i've been blown clear into the other lane with a wind gust coming off the water. a little nerving. rain blah, but wind... yikes...

·
Registered
482 Posts
17 and she can't take a bus? I grew up in North Dallas and rode the Dart bus a lot as a teenager. Stood in freezing rain waiting for the bus in the winter and sweated like a pig in summer. Now that is a punishment! I hear you guys now have a Dart train from Plano to downtown too! Teenagers have it too easy....

·
Registered
254 Posts
I try not to force myself to ride, some days I'll take the cage just because I'm feeling off.

But riding is always better than driving, rain, sun, sleet. I get a bit skittish when it's icy and I won't ride in the snow, but other than that I feel like it's a wasted opportunity if I drive on a day I could ride.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts