Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So who here has used the OEM D220s at a track day? I am planning on doing my first track day soon, so I will not be pushing it at all, however, if it is going to significantly increase my chances of crashing to use these tires I will wait until I replace them.

Anyone who's done this care to comment? Thanks!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Well, I am probably the last to comment but I am getting back into riding after a couple years off and I have not had any problems with the 220s. I have pushed them in the rain a little with not problems and this past sunday we had a spirited sunday ride and they gave me no reason to doubt them. Now if you are a real good rider and will push them hard on the track you might push them too far but if you are going for the first time you should be taking it easy and learning the track before you push hard to the point the tires will be a problem. Then when you go back the next time get new rubber as you will be a better rider and you will already know the track and then you can push it harder. That is my plan if my 220s are still good when I go to the track in October but I figure they will be gone by then so I won't be able to truely comment.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
There was a guy who used them on the track a while back. They were a bit overwhelmed at the track - the sides were pretty shredded. They'll stick the edge, but they won't tell you that, you could find out the hard way.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Just my own personal experience... The D220s were fine for commuting to and from work, even in the rain. But for anything aggressive... from weekend twisties, to track days, to heavy lean angles... I didn't like them much at all. There's not really any feedback and the tires didn't respond well to pressures outside their rated range. They like to slip in the turns a bit too, especially when things get a little bumpy or leaned over hard.

I much prefer my Pilot Powers! For true sport riding those are the tires to have. They grip like a mofo and give a lot more feedback as to what they are about to do. And if you're doing track days you'll have a much more enjoyable, and probably a safer time than you would with the D220s.

That's only my opinion, I'm sure others might disagree.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Novadesigns said:
And if you're doing track days you'll have a much more enjoyable, and probably a safer time than you would with the D220s
That's basically what I was looking for. Thanks. Safety is really the main thing I'm concerned with. I will probably wait to go to the track until I get better tires (I have been planning on getting Pilot Powers at some point anyway).

$230 or so is a lot less than new bodywork after all...

·
Registered
233 Posts
I've used the D220s for 2 track days, and yes you definitely have to be more careful. I've had 2 semi highsides where the back slid a lot without much of a feedback. I don't trust the fronts enough to go balls out on them. So my entry speed is pretty lame. But I've been able to get a knee/toe down, but I haven't leaned enough to drag hard parts(except for the one lowside on the track, where I got no indication and was on the track sliding away before I realized what was going on). I may just be lazy or I want to get really good on stock stuff before I move on to better tire/suspension. I even run bone stock suspension. I only adjust the preload to stiffen it up for my 165lbs without gear.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I don't understand why someone would take a chance.

Tires are cheap compared to crash damage.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts