Registered
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been waiting for this for a long time.

Suzuki SV650 & SV650S
Best Standard Bike, 2003 (SV650) & 2004 (SV650S) Ten Best Awards

Years sold 1999-2009
MSRP new $5699 to $7499
Blue Book retail value $1700 (1999 SV650) to $5545 (2009 SV650S w/abs)

Basic specs: A 645cc, dohc, 90-degree v-twin that made 71.7 HP at 9250 rpm and 46.2 ft.-lb. of torque at 7250, good enough to propel this 426lb. (with its 4.4 gal. tank filled to the brim) roadster to an 11.93 sec., 111mph quarter mile, and a top speed of 129mph.

Why it won: in one of the several road tests Cycle World conducted of this popular Suzuki over the years, we suggested that maybe the "SV" in the bikes model designation stood for "surprisingly versatile." That's because if you left off-road and around-the-world two-up touring off the list, there was very little the SV650 couldn't do-and do well. Beginners loved it for its user friendliness and complete ease of operation, and experts found it a fun and rewarding tool for everything from daily commuting to weekend moseying to backroad scratching and even club roadracing.

In 2001, Suzuki introduced the SV650S, the same motorcycle but with a nice half-fairing and clip-on handlebars, giving the serious knee-draggers a little more ammo. ABS models were added in 2007, and both bikes remained in the lineup until 2009, when only the S was offered.

From The 2003 Ten Best Story: "On a twisty backroad, the unfaired, tubular-handlebar-equipped SV will make short work of all but the best riders on the finest sport-oriented hardware."

Useful Resources: Two of the more-active internet forums for this Suzuki are WWW.SVRIDER.COM (!) and forums.sv650.org And given the considerable number of these bikes that Suzuki sold over an 11-season span, you'll find all kinds of information on the web about the middleweight SV, including parts, accessories and entire motorcycles for sale, along with past-year reviews, tech advice and lots of interesting videos.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
That's a recycled old article. It was printed in 09 as well.

2003 Suzuki SV650
Best Standard, 2003
MSRP New: $5899
Blue Book Price: $3500
Okay, we lied: An ’03 SV650 exceeds the $3K price limit. But the ’99 (first-year) model is tagged at $2885 and the 2000 a tick over $3000, and they’re fundamentally the same terrific V-Twin machines as the two-time Ten Best medalist (also won in ’04). The SVs somehow, almost magically, are able to put a smile on the faces of beginners and experts alike. They’re utterly unintimidating to newbies and a barrel of fun for seasoned riders. You really can’t go wrong with one of these middleweight jewels.
http://www.cycleworld.com/2009/02/06/ten-best-used-bike-buys/

·
Premium Member
1,471 Posts
The value in having people praise the SV after Suzuki dropped it is that maybe if enough folks praise the SV, Suzuki will see the error of their ways and reintroduce/update/upgrade the SV. Unfortunately, when dealing w/Suzuki USA, it's best to assume the worst!
It's funny that Kawasaki will be offering ABS on the 2013 Ninja 650 and 250 while Suzuki has apparently abandoned this market completely.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Pisses me off everytime I see the BBV of these things, always makes me feel like I overpaid for my used 2005 S model because I bought it at a dealership, I was just looking for a loan for a bike rather that fronting all the cash to a local who could have not maintained the bike well. I gues sit really depends on where you live at, since it seems people sell these cheaper in other parts of the country than they do here in CO where biking is huge and with all the mountains and twisties I assume it would sell higher than someone who lives in the desert in Arizona or New Mexico perhaps.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Pisses me off everytime I see the BBV of these things, always makes me feel like I overpaid for my used 2005 S model
Do you LIKE it? If so... who cares. Everybody overpaid on things or will do in his life. Or, the other way round, there´s always someone who had a better deal.
At least you did overpay for something you actually wanted. :)

Back in the day I bought some very good Held gloves for 199 €. 9 months later the same gloves were sold for HALF the price. But I got to enjoy them in the meantime already and therefore didn´t complain too much.

Ciao
Jan

·
Registered
587 Posts
Pisses me off everytime I see the BBV of these things, always makes me feel like I overpaid for my used 2005 S model because I bought it at a dealership, I was just looking for a loan for a bike rather that fronting all the cash to a local who could have not maintained the bike well. I gues sit really depends on where you live at, since it seems people sell these cheaper in other parts of the country than they do here in CO where biking is huge and with all the mountains and twisties I assume it would sell higher than someone who lives in the desert in Arizona or New Mexico perhaps.
They seem to sell for a little cheaper in Oklahoma than they do in NY, but not by much. However, I've noticed that in the past couple years, asking prices have actually gone up for SV's, at least in Oklahoma where I live. Nobody seems to think their 2nd gen is worth any less than 3 grand, regardless of condition. Same for 1st gens, but nobody lists theirs for less than 2500. Makes me glad I bought my 2003 for 2 grand when I did.

·
very big dumb
8,897 Posts
I was just looking for a loan for a bike rather that fronting all the cash to a local who could have not maintained the bike well. .
there are a few things wrong with that sentence....
-used bikes from the dealer are still used. just cause you buy them from the dealer doesn't make them any better maintained
-you can get a loan for a private sale from almost any bank. They give you a check and you fill in the amount.
-you can also put a bike on a credit card (just make sure you pay it off before the promotional period ends)

·
Registered
587 Posts
-used bikes from the dealer are still used. just cause you buy them from the dealer doesn't make them any better maintained
-you can get a loan for a private sale from almost any bank. They give you a check and you fill in the amount.
-you can also put a bike on a credit card (just make sure you pay it off before the promotional period ends)
The bikes that got traded in at my old job got an oil change, then wheeled to the front to be sold.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Do you LIKE it? If so... who cares. Everybody overpaid on things or will do in his life. Or, the other way round, there´s always someone who had a better deal.
At least you did overpay for something you actually wanted. :)

Back in the day I bought some very good Held gloves for 199 €. 9 months later the same gloves were sold for HALF the price. But I got to enjoy them in the meantime already and therefore didn´t complain too much.

Ciao
Jan
I absolutely love the bike! But at the price I paid I keep seeing poeple saying how cheap they're getting theirs for and I'm always thinking damn maybe I jumped the gun and could have shopped around!

They seem to sell for a little cheaper in Oklahoma than they do in NY, but not by much. However, I've noticed that in the past couple years, asking prices have actually gone up for SV's, at least in Oklahoma where I live. Nobody seems to think their 2nd gen is worth any less than 3 grand, regardless of condition. Same for 1st gens, but nobody lists theirs for less than 2500. Makes me glad I bought my 2003 for 2 grand when I did.
Sounds like you got a good deal! I paid nearly double for my 05 S model

Very true. I actually bought the bike on a whim very sporatically with no knowledge of what an SV650 was, no endorsement, never rode a bike, just liked the color and thought it would be cool to own one. YES a stupid thing to say but being honest. I just happened to see this awesome bike in a dream color and had to have it. I love the bike and it is my baby, but seeing some people paying hundreds less for a newer model with less miles sort of blows. However its been very regional tho, and for some reason CO seems to fetch a little more here than I've seen in other states and I was thinking maybe its because of the riding areas here? It is the same with subaru and jeep, you can get a hooked up jeep or subaru in CA where I am from because you dont need 4wd and its all city streets in Los Angeles, whereas a hooked up jeep or nice condition subaru fetches good $$$ here in CO where people go offroading and really need the lift kit bigf tires or the 4wd.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts