Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok Cycle Gear has some cool stuff, alot of it is expensive but I get coupons about every 2 weeks and sometimes if I need something small Ill stop in & check it out, but lately Ive come to the conclusion that this place is shady as hell. I was looking for a jacket a few months ago and I got an email about there being a manager's special & a certain brand was 40% off. So I went in to check it out, I looked at the coat but there was no signs saying it was on sale and the full price was on it. i was confused, I finally asked a salesperson & they were like" Oh yeah thats on sale, you had to ask for it" wtf, so if I walked in off the street & didnt know about the circular they would have sold it to me at full price.

Last week I got a circular where they had bar end mirrors on sale for $25, Cool! i needed bar end mirrors, so i went in, on the back wall they even had a sign up saying they were $25 but the tag said regular price $65, clearence $40. I took it up to the register & the guy rang it up for $40! I was like woah! these are $25 and then he actually argued with me for a second before I pulled out my circular & showed him & told him there was even a sign on the wall. Shady as hell! I really should write a letter to corporate, it might just be this store but I just dont trust those guys now, always seem to be pullin a fast one

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
most stores would be like "Hey these jackets your looking at are on sale today!" instead of you having to pull it out of them and then have them intentionally charge you the wrong price .Im pretty sure the guy who rang me up on the mirrors was a manager. How would he not know what was on sale & in the new circular. thats his job!

·
Registered
331 Posts
That's weird, the Cycle Gear here in South FL has always has superb customer service and their sales in their email/flyers always match the ones in the store (at least the items I'm interested in have been)

·
Registered
341 Posts
In quebec we have a price protection law. All the bigger retailers have this price protection sign near each register. If the price that is scanned at the register different then the price on the shelf, you the client are entitled to a 10$ discount from shelf price. If the item is less then 10$ its FREE!!!!. I score a lot of times with this. I got some blu-ray movies for 10$ and free misc groceries sometimes. I even once payed like 2$ for a bottle of whiskey :) Sad reality is stores always add a few cents here and there. But with this price protection law, it just takes a bit of effort and you can start scoring some free s h 1 t.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
most stores would be like "Hey these jackets your looking at are on sale today!" instead of you having to pull it out of them and then have them intentionally charge you the wrong price
Lots of stores do "special sales" for frequent customers, this isn't that uncommon.

·
SV Hadder
10,486 Posts
xscorex, this is perfectly normal business practice.

they use targeted advertising to bring in repeat customers. It is their choice as to how publicly they advertise sale prices.

the mirror thing is just a fluke in their computer system. with that many products, it's possible for the sale prices to get missed.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
maybe your right, but I just got a shady feeling from them the last two times I went in. Not stoked on Cycle Gear anymore

·
Registered
496 Posts
I've had *many* problems with Cycle Gear. We ordered some stuff online from another company that Cycle Gear then purchased, and never received it (they never charged the card either). Multiple calls to Cycle Gear and they kept assuring us "Oh, it's shipping today." but it never shipped in over 3 months. The customer support was useless, unable to even look up our order, and they'd never call us back. Yuck, I won't go shop at their stores or online anymore.

·
Registered
433 Posts
meh, i like Cycle Gear for the most part. their regular prices are pretty high, but supposedly they'll price match (i've never tried). i have gotten some good deals there though, most recently a pair of Dainese gloves that they put the wrong tag on and let me use a coupon that was only supposed to be off regular prices.

ended up getting them almost half off!

Cycle Gear is one of the few places around here that has a decent selection of gear. other than it, all we have is dealerships who will have like 2 jackets, crappy gloves, and a bunch of low end helmets

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
That's weird, the Cycle Gear here in South FL has always has superb customer service and their sales in their email/flyers always match the ones in the store (at least the items I'm interested in have been)
Same here in SoCal. Great store, great customer service, and great specials. They had a 40% off Dainese sale last summer that I took advantage of to buy a pair of gauntlet leather gloves. I wish I had the cash for a Dainese jacket at the time or better yet full leathers. Imagine picking up Dainese race leathers for $600!!! :eek:

Their return policy is excellent too. I've returned gloves after a couple weeks of riding with them for full store credit. I saw a guy in there last time I was there returning a K&N filter he bought over a year earlier!

·
Registered
272 Posts
I've had nothing but good experiences with the Cycle Gear here in Plano, TX. There's even a cute chick that works behind the counter!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
maybe its just my cycle gear I feel like Im dealing with a used car salesman every time I go in there.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
I see where your coming from, I had a similar situation happen to me. I went to cycle gear for some race leathers knowing that there was a 30% off deal, they tried to sell it to me at full price, I asked if they had any deals going on the sales man said "not right now, but you could get 15% off if you qualify for a cycle gear credit card" (i did not qualify). I mentioned the 30% off deal and the sales mad told me that I need to bring in the add. I had to get one mailed to me because they never sent one to me, so I get the leathers (with the add in hand) and the sales man tries to ring it up full price, anyways got the 30% off (but I had to send an email to cycle gear support).

In their defense, they have a cool team of dedicated rider/sales men/women. Cycle gears customer support was great and I will do business with them in the future.

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
So they don't update their price tags in a timely manner, and some of their staff may not be aware of promotions. Is this unlike any other bike shop? Just be glad you have one local to you and sales people that actually care to listen to your concerns. It can be worse.

As for someone walking off the street and paying full price, a store can charge anything they want for a product. You don't have to pay it and it is your job to haggle for deals and look for coupons and discounts.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
I see where your coming from, I had a similar situation happen to me. I went to cycle gear for some race leathers knowing that there was a 30% off deal, they tried to sell it to me at full price, I asked if they had any deals going on the sales man said "not right now, but you could get 15% off if you qualify for a cycle gear credit card" (i did not qualify). I mentioned the 30% off deal and the sales mad told me that I need to bring in the add. I had to get one mailed to me because they never sent one to me, so I get the leathers (with the add in hand) and the sales man tries to ring it up full price, anyways got the 30% off (but I had to send an email to cycle gear support).

In their defense, they have a cool team of dedicated rider/sales men/women. Cycle gears customer support was great and I will do business with them in the future.
Man, my store promotes the hell out of any sales they have going on. I didn't even know about the 40% off Dainese until they told me about it.

·
Registered
282 Posts
My local Cycle Gear has always honored their prices. Their regular prices are pretty high, but once in a while they have huge clearance sales. Though sometimes they don't have signs up advertising their sales, i have never had to ask them to correct the prices they sent me emails about. Their customer service has always been top notch, though this may vary with different locations. The first helmet i bought was on clearance and they didn't have my size so they shipped one from Nevada (to San Francisco). Cycle Gear has to have great customer service because they realize that there are so many online retailers that are so much cheaper than they are that they have to compete with. With all that said I mainly use cycle gear as my try on place for gear and helmets and buy the stuff online now. Do i feel bad? Not really because i still buy stuff from them, just not the expensive stuff.
I think that you either got the new guy or that your Cycle Gear doesn't value your business. Try another one in your area if you have one, you may get better customer service.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Dude youre on the VIP circular, coupon list. Live it up...!

Sounds like harbor freight also,, sometimes you have to point out their sales as well...
As long as they honor their sales I see no big deal.

·
Registered
843 Posts
maybe your right, but I just got a shady feeling from them the last two times I went in. Not stoked on Cycle Gear anymore
There are two stores in my metroplex that I frequent. The one in Plano is where I do my browsing. The place is always a mess, the people like to follow you and butt in, stuff never rings up right and several things I have bought there were broken. Our Fort Worth store is MUCH better.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts