Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Cutting two brothers exhaust

I have the older exhaust on the sv that came with the bike. I really don't like the length of the muffler. Is there a good way to cut these type of mufflers? Just tape where you want to cut and follow line with hacksaw?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Haven't dissected a carbon can before but principals are the same.
Drill rivets out with 3/16" drill (you may need to use next size up until head of rivet falls off) then carefully remove end caps. N.B.I started at the bolt end and left the other end on my Leo Vince cans.
Once you have the end off you should be able to see how the can is constructed. Usually there is a centre perforated tube (you see this when you look down the inside of the can. Then a layer of packing either fibreglass or kevlar fluff wrapped around the centre tube. There may be a woven kevlar or fibreglass mat over a layer of stainless mesh wrapped around the outside to protect the outer shell (in your case the carbon weave) from heat and keep the packing in place inside the can.
From here you can decide weather to just cut through the whole lot (like I did) or remove the packing and cut the can down in stages. I.E. cut the outer shell and inner tube and then the packing separately.
I would suggest wrapping the carbon outer with duct tape at the cut point to prevent fraying of the carbon fibre while cutting.
Methods of cutting range from using a hacksaw (slow but steady and very controllable) through to using a cut off wheel in a dremal or a drop saw with a metal cutting disc.
I used the hacksaw method and it took about 45 minutes to do each can start to finish including marking, drilling and fitting the rivets.
I would suggest leaving the tape on while you refit the end cap and mark out and drill the holes for the rivets. Remove tape carefully (slowly checking that the carbon fibres aren't lifting with the tape), refit the strap and rivet down.
Refit the can to bike and enjoy the warm glow of a job well done by your own hands.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts