Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, every month I look at my Verizon bill with a bit more contempt. They provide my phone, internet, and TV service.

What irritates me most, I supppose, is the $114/month package I signed up for ends up costing me around $170/month by the time I get my bill as the converter boxes (2) and taxes add up to another $50 a month.

My contract with them expires in November. So, I figure I have until then to do a little research.

Here is my question... has anybody eliminated cable (which includes cable, satellite, fiber optic, etc) completely?

If so, what, if anything, have you replaced it with... how much does it cost you (setup, any recurring fees, etc)... is there anything you'd like to watch but haven't been able to since dropping it... how happy are you that you dropped it?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
435 Posts
hey,

I think I may be able to provide some insight as for the past 5 years I have not had cable....I even recently worked installing cable for 2 years hahaha :)

dropping cable was the best decision I ever made. Shows are so riddled with commercials its ridiculous. and of course the few programs you are actually interested in, are not in your "package" . Only $30 for the next package and the 1 channel you want is yours! lol

That being said there are plenty of alternatives to cable. I have an HDMI cord running from my PC to my 42 inch and I can watch just about anything at a click of a button. Another option is of course google chromecast, or if your an apple person, apple TV because you can air play any apple screen onto whatever the apple TV is plugged into.

I pm'd you with some additonal info as well

The biggest issue I have is with watching certain sports....alot of sports are now offered online, like an online MLB pass, or a online soccer pass, but say for instance the superbowl....yeah you could find someone streaming it online through some sketchy site....or just go to a friends superbowl party/ a bar/ there are plenty of other alternatives.

for TV shows n what not, check your PMS

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I went through the next package up thing with Verizon and DirectTV when it came to getting the science channels.

Sports was one of the things I meant to include in my question. We like hockey in this house. I can get the web package from the NHL, but they won't let you watch your home team.

I've wondered about some of those... redirect services that mask your location.

If I'm paying for the service, I fail to see why the NHL should care what team I'm watching or where. But, I guess it's part of whatever agreement they have with the TV networks.

I'll check the PM you sent later. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
435 Posts
No problemo,

That doesnt make any sense at all....you cant watch your home team? psssshhhh

what about if you had a friend say in a different state sign up, but use your billing info (of course as long as your ok with that) could you then sign in and watch your team?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure. I assume that it goes by your IP address. So, even if the home team of the person who signed up is, say, Dallas, it may block Pittsburgh games if I am in Pittsburgh at the time.

Would need to look into that....

·
Premium Member
1,347 Posts
When we moved I ditched the cable and went for a phone/internet combo from Comcast since it was cheaper than the same internet by itself. Once the deal was up I bailed on the phone part, too. We have Hulu and Netflix to keep us happy and haven't missed the cable at all, but neither of us are sports nuts so that helps.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
need to be careful not to spend more on multiple monthly subscriptions than I'd be paying for TV.

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
Dropped Dish after 10 years of good service - we owned the equipment $950 initial investment, reasonable fees, they upgraded and had to trade in our own old equipment, basic service costs doubled due to the new equipment (while this was offered free to NEW customers). final straw was they came out installed a new receiver dish which had a "cold" solder joint and would not receive any signal if the temperature exceeded 95 F.. A service tech came out and swapped the defective part They cut off my service and wanted to charge me $500 for the defective dish and service call. I cancelled and they turned over to a collection agency.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
8,165 Posts
We cut the cable two years ago and now have Hulu ($7.99) and NetFlix($8.99) and Amazon Prime which we were already paying for. $17 now vs $90 with DirecTV.

The TV is hooked up to a wireless Roku (one time purchase, no fees) which is cool since we can move it to any location in the house, just need an AC outlet. Can also watch TV anywhere in the house with just an iPad or laptop. I think some of the cable/satellite services now offer wireless casting too (certainly at a price...) but the new freedom to watch anywhere was new to us. We cut the cable in more ways than one!

The other difference is we no longer setup the DVR, just pick what we want to watch off the menus.

One downside is there are short commercials on Hulu (which have been getting longer, grrr...), used to be able to skip all that with the DVR. The commercials used to only be 15 or 30 seconds but lately have gone up to 30 or 60 seconds. After having a DVR and the ability to skip ads the past 10 years, it is hard going back. If the ads get any longer, may have to try using one of the new ad blockers. I wouldn't mind paying a bit more for ad free but Hulu does not give the option; NetFlix and Amazon are still OK.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, been noticing longer ads on youtube as well.

They need to give the option to download what you're watching, even if it meant downloading the commercials along with it. That way you could skip past them with your video player. It would be no different than recording it and fast forwarding through them that way.

·
Registered
278 Posts
With Netflix and Amazon prime, you can legally use the service on 2 separate devices, so you can go in on it with someone and share the services to keep costs down even further. For sports, find a buddy with cable, give him a few bucks every month towards his outrageous cable bill and share his ESPNGO account.

·
Premium Member
4,347 Posts
About cutting Cable.....

Don't most people get their internet through a cable company?

And how do you think the billing is going to work out that way?

·
Super Moderator
8,165 Posts
teeriver, does I know you can download apps on roku, do they have a browser like app?
I just use the Roku directly, never tried the Roku app. When I watch on the iPad or laptop, I use the Hulu, NetFlix, or Amazon apps direct.

About cutting Cable.....

The choice is (cable internet plus cable TV) vs (just cable internet). For me the difference works out to about $70.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
About cutting Cable.....

Depends. Some people have phone and internet through their TV cable. I have TV and internet through my fiber optic phone line.

In either case, you're more or less just paying for the signal you're using. So, even if you're internet is through your cable tv company, you do not need to have tv service to use it.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Wanted to follow up from the fellow cord cutters on this subject. Also had a few questions.

Any regrets since you've broken up with the cable company? What do you dislike the most of streaming services?

Which streaming services do you find yourself or your family using the most?

In regards to Hulu, how many devices can stream on the same account. Can they stream simultaneously?

I've finally got my family realizing how slaw our cable company is. Dish/Direct TV isn't an option at this time. We are currently paying $195(with tax). No contracts are done with this cable company and it's the only cable company in my town. I get pissed out of my mind when dealing with this provider. They've raised the rate twice in the last two years and recently did a mandatory "signal quality check." Which turned into some clown trying to show me how to tighten up coax cables to ensure they are connected properly and confirm the incoming signal is not up to par. They've also managed to lose seven channels in the last few months, four of which had shows I was watching. Rumor has it, they will be losing more channels in the coming months [/rant]

·
Premium Member
6,037 Posts
I cut cable out 6 years ago and haven't looked back. The only real regret is not being able to get current shows, but that hasn't really been enough for me to change my mind. I only use netflix. Hulu, while they do have some shows, they just don't seem to have enough of what I want to watch to be worth paying for. I might look at amazon and see if that is an option.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I cut cable out 6 years ago and haven't looked back. The only real regret is not being able to get current shows, but that hasn't really been enough for me to change my mind. I only use netflix. Hulu, while they do have some shows, they just don't seem to have enough of what I want to watch to be worth paying for. I might look at amazon and see if that is an option.

Thanks for the response. I've used Hulu a very long time ago and didn't commit to it. I spent some time researching if they have any of my shows today. Not only did I find most of them, they also linked me to cable channel websites that allow streaming directly from their site. I thought that was a nice feature.

I currently have Amazon Prime and am not really impressed with it. The "free" content is about the same as Netflix, while they do get new content quickly they want an additional charge for it. I was sold to cancel this service before my renewal date in January. Now where we will be cutting out cable, I'm on the fence to keep it. The rate is also jumping up for us if we renew. It was $79 a year and is now going to $99.

I called my cable company and to drop cable, provide my own modem my bill would be $57.xx per month tax included. So with Netflix/Hulu I'm estimating $75 a month(tax included). I'll be saving $136 per month moving forward.

Next debate, do I turn my PC which streams media anyway, into a DVR box to record over the air shows? Found a nice little article on how someone else did it.

http://www.channelpronetwork.com/story/how-build-budget-media-center-pc-and-hd-dvr?page=0,0

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
I cut cable about 4 years ago, a storm knocked out my service for 3 weeks and the cable company refused to adjust my bill accordingly, I was paying about $125/mo

for the next 3½ years, I had DirecTV, no problems or issues until suddenly on month my bill increased from $135 to $165. I called to question the increase, the service rep I spoke with insisted I had always been paying $164, even though she agreed that the records showed I was only paying $135. Then it took them another month and a half to understand that I asked them to discontinue service, and another month after that to send me the equipment recovery package. Then I was inundated with obnoxious phone calls trying to talk me out of disconnecting, in the meantime, I had already purchased a Roku box

Been happy with Roku, I have a subscription to Hulu + and because I was already an Amazon Prime member, I get Amazon, and my GF already had a Netflix account

Originally my cable provided TV & Internet, now, I get my internet wi-fi from my office where I have high speed internet for my business

I do plan getting some kind of wi-fi booster, occasionally I have had issues streaming with my old wireless router

Telephone: the local phone company is a small independent, cannot complain about $15 month for a land line for my residence and $40/month for a business line

1 - 20 of 65 Posts