Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, don't get mad. I read thru 7 pages and 2 hours worth of searches on the 636 swap on 03 SV's. Found lots of good info, at 200lbs with gear I think it should work well. My 04 636 shock should arrive tommorrow. Its silver and black(match the bike) and is actually from an 03 SV so I get the grinded lower bolt. This summer I'll probably get another 636 and have it rebuilt, not enough cash right now. The only thing I'm unsure about is the battery box trimming. I know I'll probably figure it out once I see it, but I read some conflicting information. One person said he didn't need to cut the box and rearrange, albeit a tight fit. Others said they needed to. Those who did PLEASE post a pic or two if you have them of the battery trimming. Some posts had pics but they were old and the links didnt work. I shoulda did it this summer but only now as I am a better ride can I feel the inadequacy of the stock shock. I can hardly contain my excitement. Oh and if I'm gonna hang the bike with tie-downs do I need to take the body work off? Thanks.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I had to trim the box a little bit to fit my gixxer shock in there... you will see excatly what it needs when you try to bolt up the shock. Its pretty simple ;)

·
Registered
285 Posts
I'm in the middle of this swap right now.

Problems so far:
- Bottom mounting bolt is too wide, I'm grinding the bolt heads down to make it clear the dogbones
- Too much play down there, tried shimming it with washers but is still able to move side to side. I'm worried it will clip the dogbone and throw me.
-Top mounting boss a tiny bit too wide, little sanding and some grease slid it right in.

Battery box:
- Haven't test fit it yet, but it will definitely need cutting. I'm just worried if the battery will still fit, it not gotta go spring for something smaller. I'll be at it all night.

What can I do to make sure that the interference with the lower mounting is eliminated FOR SURE?

·
Registered
398 Posts
oh saw its a 2nd gen.

The battery box needs the left 2/3rds cut off the very front of the box, including the part of the shelf there just above the tool box. That will assure no contact. I then cut the back of the box such that I could move the battery back where the ECU was and placed the ECU on top of the battery. No rubbing problems at all. Once you get all the plastic off the subframe you can remove the fender liner/battery box test fit and cut untill it works for you. Pretty easy.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I probably wont even have to trim or move my battery much because I have an 03. From what I've heard the subframes on the 04-05 models is lower than 03. Found that out when someone told me an 03 gel seat couldn't fit an 04+. Also the tool kit is not under there as with 04+. THis lower subframe would interfere more with that longer shock and especially the overflow.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Well at least having an 03 the battery box thing should be less of a problem... (knock on wood)
I'm sure I'll be up all night anyway...

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
just take the battery out and push start it :p

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Finished, not too bad. I ended up trimming a decent little section off down in the box and on the front. Cut some old mouse pads up and raised the battery slightly, cut down the foam a little on my Sargent seat and it went in. Cant wait to ride it tommorrow. I also like how it raised the bike's back end a little. It just looks even more stout than before.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Finished mine last night too, same drill, cut the battery box, spaced it with some styrofoam, and squeezed the seat on, it juuuuuust fits.
I put the adjustments in the middle, bolted up the wheel, (brand new pilot powers) and went out and scrubbed em in.

She handles great! The transition speed is so much faster from side to side, and the pilots really hold a line when you ask them to!
Trackday tomorrow morning! Hell yeah!

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
I found you don't have to cut the battery box for a 636 shock. Just remove the bolts on the side that support it. Pull the box down 2" and install longer bolts with 2" spacers. I drilled new holes in the plastic box next to the originals to get the bolts at the right pitch to line up properly. The spacers are the white nylon things in the center of the photo.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.