Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I can work with fiberglass and was wondering if it would be a good idea if I make some of these headlight masks. You think people like them? Would you buy one yourself? What do you think?

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
Why is that? I think they look awesome no?
I think they suggested the belly pan and hugger because you would probably be able to sell more of those.

Many people like to add the belly pan to thier motorbikes. There are very limited suppliers, and not many choices. Same with the hugger, I think there is only one design that bolts right up.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
but these universal hence more sales! arent huggers and belly pans for specific bikes?

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
+++1 on the belly pan! It is so hard to find a decent looking belly pan

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
but these universal hence more sales! arent huggers and belly pans for specific bikes?
More sales? I doubt it. You'd have to find people that want a mask on their bike. Which I suspect is a slim market. That and you have to get your name out there, and a reputation as a quality producer. Another tough task.

I'd be interested if you come up with a relatively inexpensive belly pan.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
And you'd be surprised how big the SV community really is and how many people would buy them, don't quote me on this though.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
More sales? I doubt it. You'd have to find people that want a mask on their bike. Which I suspect is a slim market. That and you have to get your name out there, and a reputation as a quality producer. Another tough task.

I'd be interested if you come up with a relatively inexpensive belly pan.
Let's say I do belly pans for sv650, don't you think that theres more people that would want a mask (all motorcycles) than people who want a belly pan (only sv owners)??

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
If you limited yourself to one belly pan? Probably. But that would be foolish. Once you get a basic idea for it, you could just modify it to other bikes.

You'd make more than one type of mask wouldn't you?

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
It'd be a gamble, you have to find the right audience, because although it may be universal; this is just me speaking, I don't think many people except for street fighter type people would buy it, which is another gamble on the number, but on Svrider I don't think it is very large. BUT, the want for rear huggers and belly pans are HERE

Edit: What he said too /\

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes more than one type of masks, but more than one type of belly pans and more than one type of motorcycle... were talking about 100s of different belleypans!

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
If you want to go into business making some semi custom parts, you need to recognize how much work it's going to be.

Personally I think belly pans would be easier. Get a basic shape down, and then fab up mounting brackets. I'm sure there would be people willing to let you measure up their bike to get the brackets right.

Making a headlight assembly would require the electrical aspects as well. And would probably pose just as many problems as a belly pan would.

For giggles. I google imaged "belly pan" The majority of bikes that showed up in the results.... SV's

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
alright so is there a certain look that's more popular? curvy, sharp... is there a pan that everybody wants but can't afford?

what about the sv650s stock belly pan? I think it's beautiful!

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Same here! The problem is they are usually really pricey! Which is expected, and personally I prefer sharper lines with the 2nd gen, and unless the 1st gen is converted to 2nd gen bodywork I'd say the 1st gen is mostly curvy.

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
If you did a pointy OEM-style belly pan that actually held a couple quarts of fluid, per race rules, I bet you'd have a bunch of happy customers.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Watchya mean? like if your bike started to leak oil? I'm not very experience with belly pans but really want one!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
some race tracks require belly pans that can hold any leaking oil or coolant... so that it won't be all over the track, i think so

1 - 20 of 27 Posts