Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had any experience with this guys shift stars? If not his, then any other NON OEM stars? Benefits for said upgrade? Difficulty of installation? Worth the money. I have yet to dive into the world of working on/in an engine ( I have never even cracked open mine ) so Im a bit reluctant to get this, however I keep hitting a false neutral and its pissing me off! All input appreciated! :eek:ccasion14:

http://weraclassifieds.com/ads/sv650-racecut-shift-cam-and-hardened-shift-pin-5/

·
Registered
367 Posts
try going with a different brand of oil first, like suzuki oil or yamalube.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
try going with a different brand of oil first, like suzuki oil or yamalube.
Im currently using Mobile 1 full synthetic motorcycle oil straight from AutoZone. Good enough or should I try diff oil still? Have K&N filter.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Im currently using Mobile 1 full synthetic motorcycle oil straight from AutoZone. Good enough or should I try diff oil still? Have K&N filter.
you have the upgraded shift star already. make sure your oil level is centered inbetween the two marks. for some reason not all sv's like synth motorcycle oil, you can try synth oil for diesel engines which works suprising well in some bikes. also try being more firm with your shifts, that could be your problem. the oils my 03 like best are yamalube or suzuki oil followed closely by maxima premium4, honda gen4 was the worst. i also found false neutrals started occuring when it started getting close to the time to change the oil and filter. hope this helps.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
you have the upgraded shift star already. make sure your oil level is centered inbetween the two marks. for some reason not all sv's like synth motorcycle oil, you can try synth oil for diesel engines which works suprising well in some bikes. also try being more firm with your shifts, that could be your problem. the oils my 03 like best are yamalube or suzuki oil followed closely by maxima premium4, honda gen4 was the worst. i also found false neutrals started occuring when it started getting close to the time to change the oil and filter. hope this helps.
Def helps! Thanks. But what did you mean by I already have the upgraded shift star? Is the one I linked just a 2nd Gen shift star the guy is putting in 1st Gens? Ill give some suzuki oil a go or yamalube and see how it does.

I have a Spears Racing star in my Gen 2. It made a world of difference on the race track. The shifts are much more positive and happen very fast. I am very happy with this product.
Ill have to look into this. Thanks

·
Registered
367 Posts
the shift star was upgraded in the 05+ sv's. gen1's and 03/04 have the earlier one. i'm assuming you have an 06 according to the mini profile under your screen name

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
I swapped out mine for the newer style and it made a big difference. It was a pretty easy job. It's oily and messy, and takes some time because there are a lot of steps, but none are that hard.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the shift star was upgraded in the 05+ sv's. gen1's and 03/04 have the earlier one. i'm assuming you have an 06 according to the mini profile under your screen name
You assumed correctly. I have an 06. This is good news thanks. I'll try the oil and see how it goes

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

1 - 11 of 11 Posts