Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok so, I picked up a crashed out 2001 sv650s and have been rebuilding it after my 2017 got stolen in NYC a few weeks ago. Hoping to have something with a bit less curb appeal. In any case, everything is going well, ive redone the fuel system and the carbs, and the bike is running well but i have a few questions in areas i dont have alot of experience in.
Tire Fuel tank Land vehicle Wheel Automotive fuel system

I am going for a streetfighter look and got a dual bar LED headlight and after removing the farings I need to deal with this mess of a wiring harness that used to live in the plastics. For reasons im not going into, im not attaching a speedo, and am looking to remove all unnecessary wiring to the front end to clean it up. Can i basically cut out all that wiring and connectors and hardwire the two wire clusters coming from the right and left handlebars straight to where the harness leaves the frame? Tell my why this is a terrible idea. (this bike will never be sold and will be marginally street legal)

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Fender Gas

2. The clutch is sticking pretty bad, and makes it very difficult to shift without revving the engine. I changed the oil, but what was in there was there for 2-3 years old so im wondering if it needs seafoam to clear it out before i go buying new clutch plates. I know this is controversial, but, i think in this case given how long it sat, it would do more good than bad?

3. fork seals are leaking, so need to rebuild the forks anyway. The suspension is super soft and im trying to avoid dumping too munch money on this, could i get away with just stiffening the springs, or should i not bother if im not going to do it all the way. This is just for riding around the city, so dont really need a performance suspension, thats what the track bike is for.

·
Registered
'07 SV650S, '05 Ninja 250
1,088 Posts
I wouldn't recommend butchering the wiring, but that's me. I've found most of that can be stuffed into whatever headlight bucket you choose to run, then you have options later.
As far as the clutch, google "clutch mantra svrider" and you can go through that procedure. That way you can know it's adjusted properly before you replace a clutch that may or may not need it. Steer clear of running seafoam in the crankcase. That's generally not considered the best thing (I know it says you can on the bottle, but I wouldn't. I don't even run it through the carbs anymore).
For the front end, use Race Tech's online calculator (scroll down to fork kits for the calculator) for your weight/riding style to get the right kg/mm spring rate. They will run about $100-130. New fluid, fork seals, and you'll be in business for about $150. If it's still not as swank as you'd like, you can get emulators, but I would start with just springs and a rebuild.

·
Registered
2000 SV650 N
1,165 Posts
It breaks my heart seeing what appears to be a relatively stock gen1 fall under the knife of "street fighter" conversion. I'd keep her stock, but that's just me.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wouldn't recommend butchering the wiring, but that's me. I've found most of that can be stuffed into whatever headlight bucket you choose to run, then you have options later.
As far as the clutch, google "clutch mantra svrider" and you can go through that procedure. That way you can know it's adjusted properly before you replace a clutch that may or may not need it. Steer clear of running seafoam in the crankcase. That's generally not considered the best thing (I know it says you can on the bottle, but I wouldn't. I don't even run it through the carbs anymore).
For the front end, use Race Tech's online calculator (scroll down to fork kits for the calculator) for your weight/riding style to get the right kg/mm spring rate. They will run about $100-130. New fluid, fork seals, and you'll be in business for about $150. If it's still not as swank as you'd like, you can get emulators, but I would start with just springs and a rebuild.
Hey Drew, thanks alot for this response. Since my headlight is 2 horizontal LED bars, they dont have a housing for me to stuff them un unfortunately. So for now i just put all the extra harness in a splitweave sheath and ziptied it until i get to it. The "clutch mantra" was ace, worked like a charm. And i think im going to go ahead and roll with the race tech springs, they are pretty affordable. Appreciate your imput.

·
Registered
2000 SV650 N
1,165 Posts
That's a beautiful motorcycle. Tastefully modified, and I like the yellow.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts