Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curvy not starting, faulty sidestand switch. Can it be bypassed?

So I tried bypassing, by shorting the feedwires (G) & (BW), of the faulty switch which I've removed. The bike still won't start. I'm holding the clutch, yes I've checked the clutch switch and was found ok, the kill switch is ok and the starter switch checked ok. I've also checked the starter relay according to Haynes and indicator/stand relay also found ok.

Checking the electrical manual that someone posted years ago on this site I found out that there is an additional diode in he stand switch. Maybe that's why simply shorting the feed wires won't work. Has anybody removed the switch successfully. Mind this is a temporary fix untill I receive a replacement.

·
Registered
32 Posts
If you are willing to simply by-pass all the confusion you can rig a hidden push button somewhere that is not readily noticeable that can actuate your starter solenoid by simply juicing the 12 volt sensor circuit on the starter solenoid.

Apart from knowing that secret button location, nobody can start your bike. You would want a place your left hand can actuate the button while looking like a normal resting place. Your right hand is occupied by the throttle after all.

Note, the key is still required to energize the ignition system and lights so you still have theft protection.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your replies and suggestions guys.
Bill, you're right, when in neutral gear selection the sidestand switch is not required and only when shifting to first gear and the switch is still off does the bike stall. I forgot this at the time and having checked all the circuit and found everything ok except for the sidestand switch I got confused and started to blame it as the culprit. In fact the bike was tested always in the neutral position. After two days of stripping the bike from every plastic to get to the harness and components the fault emerged as an intermittent switch in the clutch lever. I've now removed the switch and cleaned it's contact thoroughly and the world is a better place. The bike starts everytime and I've temporarily shorted the terminal to the stand switch untill I receive a replacement from fleebay.

The service manual says that there's a diode inside the stand switch. I don't know what this is for and can only guess that it's a protection for a reversed battery. Anyone know more?

Your idea makes good sense Oldfeller and to be honest whilst going through my checks the thought came to mind. There's very little voltage going through that relay so a small switch is easy and safe to install. Think I'll fit one actually.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
My race bike (01 sv650) has the side stand leads wired together, no issues to report, and since it has no side stand....hehe works fine

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.