Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's a balmy 8 degrees above right now (farenheit, not centigrade) and I just spent TWO AND A HALF HOURS working on my bike!!! Below is a picture of my new best friend, a propane heater. I just put on the swingarm spools and frame sliders on and a buddy helped me get the upgraded forks from SVRaceShop on last Friday evening. Sorry Jarel & Duc - I had to remove the stickers on the forks. Also, note the BLACK front wheel on the '04 - it looks really sweet.

30,000 - 80,000 BTU's of pure heat - makes my garage warmer than my house:

The whole setup:

650cc's of pure "can't wait until summer" ;D :D ;D:

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
repeat of what i said in the original post before it was deleted while i was replying.

You took the stickers off but left the reflectors on...interesting

Anything that produces heat in the garage during the winter is a great invention. I normally just have a kerosene heater. How long does a tank last you?

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't love the reflectors either - but they're a safety feature.  Also, sorry for the delete of the post.  After posting it I realized I had put it in the open forum, and this one is more appropriate.

The heater was $125.  I choose propane over kerosene because kerosene costs soooo much more to operate, though it does burn cleaner. I'm guessing a 20# tank will last 10-15 hours.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
mtgeek said:
I don't love the reflectors either - but they're a safety feature.  Also, sorry for the delete of the post.  After posting it I realized I had put it in the open forum, and this one is more appropriate.

The heater was $125.  I choose propane over kerosene because kerosene costs soooo much more to operate, though it does burn cleaner.  I'm guessing a 20# tank will last 10-15 hours.

kerosene is cheaper per btu
propane is cleaner

I have a 155,000btu/hr American Salamander

·
Premium Member
6,627 Posts
toobrokeforthat said:
ahh stupid me i thought wed stay on topic which would have been the propane tank...thanks for the clarification sir.
yeah, like we'd ever stay on topic ;D

the bike looks good, get that rear shock on there now ;)

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
I still have the reflectors and all my stickers

how cold do you keep your house, your bike has a frost, and your garage is warmer ???

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jimmie said:
... Is that a gsxr shock behind the bike?
It is!  One of the next mods.  Good eye.

RandyO said:
how cold do you keep your house, your bike has a frost, and your garage is warmer  ???
The house is at 71.  That's not frost on the bike, just condensation from heating up the air in the garage and the bike being very cold - I'm guessing near freezing.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
geek, only yanking your chain,

how big is your garage, I could never heat mine with a heater that small, not so much square footage, but height, also I haven't insulated it yet

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
RandyO said:
geek, only yanking your chain, 

how big is your garage, I could never heat mine with a heater that small, not so much square footage, but height, also I haven't insulated it yet

:'( - but you're calling me a geek......

It's about 450 sq ft with 10 foot ceiling, but insulated, including the door. Thanks for the info on kerosene vs. propane. Propane is really cheap around here and kerosene is very expensive, plus there were a lot more options on propane heaters here.

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
Nice.

I have a 18x25 detached garage and heat it with a mobile home furnace. Around here propane is $3/g and kerosene is $2.59/g. I got the furnace for free so that made my heating decision easier also.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Coop said:
Nice.

I have a 18x25 detached garage and heat it with a mobile home furnace. Around here propane is $3/g and kerosene is $2.59/g. I got the furnace for free so that made my heating decision easier also.
They charge by the gallon for propane? I always thought propane was sold by the pound. I know I asked a guy while buying some one time what itd be if it were by the gallon and all he could reply with a laugh was cheap.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
Coop said:
Nice.

and kero has a lot more btu/gal also, a week ago, kero was 2.49 here, just went up to 2.69, I think I paid 2.73 for lp gas last time I got a delivery, my hot water and cooking is lp gas, but price of lp gas here depends on how much you buy, one of my GFs works for the gas company and gets lp for half of what I pay, same price as bigger commercial users

my garage/barn (still unfinished) is 30x30 with 21ft of headroom to collar ties, 35ft tall at peak, I built is with pine trees I cut off from my property, and had a portable mill come and saw them into lumber

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
  PLEASE MOVE THAT TANK OUTSIDE !!!!!!     

When propane heats up, it expands and it vents through an expansion valve that is built into the tank.

The propane is 8F and you are heating the place up to 80F.  The propane in the tank slowly heats up just like the gas in your bike tank.  Unlike the gasoline in you bike tank that stays in liquid form for the most part, propane goes through a phase change from liquid to gas.  Propane tanks are designed to take only so much pressure and then vent it out thru a special valve.  That is why it is sold by the pound instead of pressure.  When gas heats, it expands.  You are looking at propane leaking out of that tank and connecting with an open flame.

YOU ARE LOOKING AT A BOMB!

I am not kidding ... please get that tank outside!

My college engineering advisor testified on a case as an expert witness that involved an individual who was using a propane tank inside a building, he left to get supplies at the store and came back to find his house in toothpicks.  He was arrested and convicted for ARSON even though my professor tried to get him off.

That is why you have a longer hose here, get that tank outside and run the hose under the garage door or through a window!

Propane TANKS should never be used or stored in a building!
Always store propane tanks in well ventilated areas.

edit/ reduced font size ... I made my point! ;D /edit

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Currently said:
YOU ARE LOOKING AT A BOMB!

I am not kidding ... please get that tank outside!
Thanks. I'll do that next time. I can put the tube under the garage door and thus on the outside. Funny how they don't say that on the directions. Maybe a plot by the Japanese?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts