Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard this on this board a few times. Cupped Tires? What are they? What do they look like? (A pic would be great!) What causes this phenomena?

In general, do you just look for the wear bars like on a car? How do you know when its time to replace?

Flame away, if you must - but I don't know, so I'm gonna ask!

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
just look at your stock dunlops after 4k miles thats what "cupping" looks like

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
B.a. said:
just look at your stock dunlops after 4k miles thats what "cupping" looks like
I have a first gen, so i have metzelers (sp?)...

Does this "cupping" mean the tires should be replaced?? and can you be a little more specific on the "scales" thing? does it just look that way, or is there rubber starting to flake...???

·
Registered
514 Posts
jdt141 said:
I have a first gen, so i have metzelers (sp?)...

Does this "cupping" mean the tires should be replaced?? and can you be a little more specific on the "scales" thing? does it just look that way, or is there rubber starting to flake...???
On the m1s the tire will not be round. You will see parts of the tire that are higher than the rest of the tire, as well as low spots. You can see it, and you can feel it when you are on the brakes.

It does mean that the tire is on it way out, depending on how baddy cupped it gets.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
Michelin Pilots, Pirelli Stradas, and Metzeler Roadtecs seem to be the tyres of choice. I love the Roadtecs, they give good traction in all conditions and last really well... In bad weather, extreme cold, or short hops they're better than the Sportecs I used before, even though the Sportec is theoretically the stickier tyre. But then, I don't rate the Roadtec for trackdays, I found they became the limiting factor so I'll be sticking a set of something sticky, Pilot Sport or Pilot Race, on a spare set of wheels.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
I prefer to call it scalloping

some tires scallop worse than others, I believe it has more to do with carcass design and profile than tread.

riding style is the biggest cause of scalloping

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
My front tire became cupped (and I hadn't even hit the wear bars) to the point that I would get headshake if not holding onto the grips upon deceleration around 50mph. Also, I could feel a mild bounce anyways, working the suspension more than it needed to be

·
Registered
514 Posts
RandyO said:
I prefer to call it scalloping

some tires scallop worse than others, I believe it has more to do with carcass design and profile than tread.

riding style is the biggest cause of scalloping
Yea, thats a better description, but right along the lines of what I was trying to describe.

Seems like the harder you brake, the worse your tire cups.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I agree, the front tire cups more with more trail breaking. If you tend to late break and continue scrubbing off speed as you start to lean into a corner the tire will wear at that lean angle. I used to wear fronts as fast as rear tires from this. I also had the problem of head shake at around 50 mph when decelorating. If I let go of the bars it would shake the whole bike.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.