Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I was going to write a post about this last season, but I decided to wait it out and hope it was a fluke and give CRG another chance. Well, as of this posting I am unsatisfied and I would like to know if anyone here has experienced similar issues. Here is my story...

Two seasons ago I purchased a pair of black CRG Levers from Podium Superbike (Who were great at helping me out, and provided excellent customer service) and a pair of CRG Bar end mirrors from another vendor. These were all black, and looked fantastic out of the box. I installed them and began enjoying the season... Fast forward about 4 months and I am noticing that my levers and mirrors are fading quickly and turning purple. I quickly shot PS an email and they contacted CRG for me who ultimately asked me to send the levers and mirrors back for replacement. I was never given an explanation as to why this had happened, or what I could have done to prevent it, but I was assured that it had never happened before and they would be sending me new parts in the mail. A few weeks later I got my new parts, they looked good and I installed them and went about getting back to riding. Season ended shortly after and I returned the bike to storage for the winter, black intact.

Warm weather came again and it was time to pull the bike out, levers looked good for a while, maybe it had just been a fluke... Well not too long after the beginning of this season I noticed the parts starting to fade yet again. My parts are now looking like they did last time I returned them, and I am sure that they would not replace them again.

Has anyone experienced this problem? What can I do in this situation? I have not emailed them back concerning the issue, and I am not sure if it will do any good anyway... Having spent damn near 400 dollars for these parts, I didn't think I would have problems like this.

Thanks in advance for any input!
J

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
I'm pretty sure that'll happen to any lightly anodized part. The environment just destroys the anodizing. If your bike is garage-kept then I have no clue.

My Woodcraft clip ons are purple, but I dont' care much for looks.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm pretty sure that'll happen to any lightly anodized part. The environment just destroys the anodizing. If your bike is garage-kept then I have no clue.

My Woodcraft clip ons are purple, but I dont' care much for looks.

My issue is that it happens so quickly. The bike is covered a lot, but it will always be in the sun when I am riding, and its totally unreasonable to carry a cover with me to my destinations :dizzy: If these parts were maybe a few years old I might not have so much of an issue, but turning purple after just a couple of months is ridiculous for such a high priced part.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
My issue is that it happens so quickly. The bike is covered a lot, but it will always be in the sun when I am riding, and its totally unreasonable to carry a cover with me to my destinations :dizzy: If these parts were maybe a few years old I might not have so much of an issue, but turning purple after just a couple of months is ridiculous for such a high priced part.
My levers went from gold to light silver in one summer in Florida.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
My levers went from gold to light silver in one summer in Florida.
What kind of levers? The Chinese knockoffs? The anodizing on mine lasted about 4 weeks, but they still work.

If your bike is covered, I'm not sure. It might be the heat that is doing the real damage. I really doubt it's from being exposed during the ride.

So did the parts fade over Winter? Or did they start to fade once you brought the bike out again?

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
nucular might be able to shed some light on this issue (pun intended) better, but the way he explained it to me (via Caswell info) the dye solutions have different ratings for resistance versus light. Black is, as one would expect, highly resistant.

I think it's safe to assume that a black anodized finish will last well, but only when done right using quality (read-expensive) solutions.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I picked up a set of levers from a group buy on here, the levers themselves, after a full year and almost 15k miles, hasn't faded from their black color at all. The adjusters however have started to fade from the gold color they were. Not horrible but slightly notable. I have noticed other motorcycles coming into the shop with multiple brands of levers in different stages of fading and some with no fading at all. Doesn't seem to be a correlation either, but if you're not happy and still in warranty, by all means get em swapped.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the comments guys. I am pretty surprised about the issues they seem to be having with their finishes. I might try to email them and see if I can get them to do anything. I might have to just have them re-finished myself, though. I guess my other option is going with Pazzos, but I don't want to spend anymore money on levers and I dont think anyone would want to buy purple CRGs haha

As for what I wash my bike with, I use black magic car wash, although I know this isnt the issue because I rarely wash the bike haha. It stays magically clean somehow ;)

·
Super Moderator
7,091 Posts
A fairly inexpensive solution might be to powder coat them (EDIT: beat me to it!). The levers wouldn't be that difficult, but a mirror might be a more little tricky.

It's possible that regular anodizing doesn't deal with UV exposure well, and there may be an addition step that will give UV protection, but wasn't done on the CRG levers. Fading seems pretty common with aftermarket anodized parts.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts