Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning everyone,

Lately I've been running into an issue with the idle RPM creeping up higher than it should be. I've adjusted the idle down the 1,300 RPM with the engine warm - but when riding after a bit I'll noticed that it's moved up to about 2,300 RPM.

I wouldn't really describe it as a hanging idle, I've experienced them before and they usually dropped back to normal after a few seconds. The RPMs will stay at 2,300 in my situation. Next time I start the bike it will idle normally at 1,300 again until I've had it out for 20 or so minutes.

That being said, there is one way I can get the idle back down to 1,300. Once it's idling high and I'm at a stop, I can let the clutch out just until the bike starts creeping forward and then pull it back in. This causes the RPMs to drop to the normal 1,300.

Any ideas what could be causing this? I did a bit of searching and covered the basics suggested in those threads. I've made sure the pilot screws are adjusted to the correct # of turns out, and made sure the throttle cables are correctly adjusted.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Wow this is the first time I've had a post go un-answered. I guess I can't complain with all the help I've been given so far. I'll keep researching and post an update if I can find the cause!

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
A variety of possibilities. You could have an air/vacuum leak in a hose. Time to clean your carbs and check the float level hgt and pilot jets. Valve clearance issues. Choke cable issues. Carb synch. Check the plugs for running lean.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm going to check for a vacuum leak today. Carbs were cleaned about 2 months ago, and pulled a couple times since then to check various things. Pilots were set to 2 3/4 turns, carbs were sync'd. Float levels were a bit confusing for me to check, but after a fair amount of time I believe I have them set correctly. Pulled the plugs yesterday and they looked normal, but I haven't had the issue that long.

On my last tank of gas I averaged 37 mpg, which is way below what I was expecting - but I do a fair amount of spirited and stop & go riding.

I'll keep working through things, thanks for the info!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts