Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm making an exhaust for my GSXR and need to know how to make a baffle. The pipe i'm putting on is open and I still have a cat, but its kinda ridiculous how loud it is.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Pics of what you made? Baffles in motorcycle exhausts are typically perforated pipes surrounded by something like fiberglass.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I'm done i'll put a pic or two up.

Thats what I thought with the perforated metal thing but like a dirtbike exhaust I'd have to find a way to make it so the baffle could be removed so the fiberglass could be changed.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
If you had more room you could make a chambered baffle but i doubt you have the space to do that. You might be able to buy a bike baffle then chop and weld it to make it fit your pipe. Either way, interested in seeing what you cme up with.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think its Supertrapp, that makes something that looks like a plug for the exhaust that acts kinda like an external baffle. I might look into that. I also could be very wrong and making that up entirely :).

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
They might...they also have the tunable plate baffled exhausts. That is another route you could go. I thought I have seen some silencer end cap/plugs thing from them too. Lot of ways to skin a cat.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is what I've been working on. Its not done b/c i still haven't figured out the baffle thing yet.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Banned Member
4,562 Posts
A baffle typically reduces the effective exhaust opening. If my memory of fluid dynamics theory serves me correctly, then a baffle will cause (on the header side) the exhaust to build pressure. The baffle will then let the exhaust to flow out, with each cylinder pulse less distictive than without the baffle.

A disk with a few holes drilled in it would work to some extent. Two disks with a few extention (straws) to overlap the inlet and outlet sections would work better (similar to a flowmaster).

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
Silver pretty much explained it.

When I built my CB500 bobber I built straight pipes, but used a washed welded to a bolt. I drilled a hole in the exhaust and installed my "baffle" with the washer inside the pipe. Then I could adjust it how I wanted (perpendicular to exhaust flow, parallel, etc). You would be surprised how well that simple design worked. No offense but as is your bike sounds way too loud.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts