Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'm in my ninth year riding and other than a 10mph parking lot spill I hadn't wrecked. Until Wednesday morning...

I was on my way to work on a 4 lane divided Highway. As I came into town the first stop light of my trip was red, I slowed to a stop checking my mirrors as I always do. I was in the left south-bound lane 4 cars back from the line with a sliver suv in front of me. The first vehicle in the right lane was a big red dump truck. The light turns green and traffic accelerates at an even pace. The speed limit after the light is 50mph. I was doing around 45-50mph when I passed the ever so slow dump truck. As I glanced over my shoulder and accelerated I merged into the right lane. As I turned forward (.50 sec later) the sliver suv comes into my lane without signaling! The suv was 3-4' from my front wheel at nearly 50mph and I was on the throttle. I panicked and grabbed my front brake. The rest is a blur but I remember seeing my bike sliding down the hwy and thinking NO WAY....

The bike slid 180 ft on its frame slider and handle bars. I stopped 20 ft short of the bike. My helmet was melted on the left front. My jacket thrashed down to the armor. My jeans torn in four spots. My gloves and boots torn and sanded by the asphalt. I crawled over to the gravel shoulder not knowing what to do next. Several people stopped and called 911. I was fine actually. more ****** than hurt, but I also just felt calm and lucky. I have road rash on my knees and a sprained right foot. Overall I'm great though.

Please wear your gear guys. It saved my life this week (and a lot of pain) and one day it could save yours. I have a parts wanted thread posted if anyone has the parts I need please PM me. the bike is F'd up pretty good but I think I can fix it.

BE SAFE, RIDE HARD.

Caleb

·
Registered
13 Posts
Glad you made it out of there as well as you did, gear works! Seems like theres an awful lot of crash stories on here lately. Good reminder for all of us to be on our toes at all times.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Speedy recovery and good luck

Glad you are okay. Just to picture a crash gives me the creep.

(what's with all these crash threads recently)

·
Registered
683 Posts
Glad to hear you're relatively good. So many of these threads have been started lately...I'm seriously looking for a vid system now.

I'm assuming the suv didn't stop and no one got the tag? Sucks you'll have to cover the cost yourself.

Heal fast!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks guys. no the suv didnt stop. Probably listening to the radio, talking on his/her cell and never knew what they did. No one got the plate, but I was not ticketed and I have several witnesses so my insurance should file it as not my fault. I bought the bike back from the insurance. It was totaled.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Glad you're ok. Is it legal for you to split to the front of the line? Much safer to get out in front of a mess of traffic like that if you can.

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
thanks guys. no the suv didnt stop. Probably listening to the radio, talking on his/her cell and never knew what they did. No one got the plate, but I was not ticketed and I have several witnesses so my insurance should file it as not my fault. I bought the bike back from the insurance. It was totaled.
That is good to hear you had witnesses. When mine happened there were several people around. But no one saw the car let alone it cutting me off. :facepalm:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Glad you're ok. Is it legal for you to split to the front of the line? Much safer to get out in front of a mess of traffic like that if you can.

I didn't split the vehicles. the dump truck was behind me to the right and the suv was in front of me. I simply accelerated as I changed lanes causing me to close the gap between me and the suv due to the suv's lack of speed. the suv then changed lanes without looking causing me to break hard and lose control.

My legs hurt...this sucks.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Glad you are okay! Yes Be Safe, Ride 1% less hard is my rule ;) or as Keith Code says - everyone rides best at 75% hehe.

I've been riding for nearly 4 years now with only 1 little 10mph driveway spill. Similar thing happened to me last Fall- (lol get it?) Had a stupid SUV driver stop dead in from of me at an intersection where we had the right away (guess she thought it was a 4way stop)

I scanning the left and right of the intersection as its a little blind... looked left, look fine, she was 40 ft ahead (we were only going like 30mph max) looked right, good, she was 10ft ahead... locked up the front wheel.

It didn't help that I had JUST started tinkering with the front brake adjustment so my brakes were a tad stiffer than I was used too...

But yeah everything is generally a blur after that front wheel locks up- I was 2up then in a tenth of a second the bike was on its side and I was bashing up my left knee/leg.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I'm surprised that this would happen to a 9-year riding veteran. Would you do it differently next time?

It's dangerous to merge and accelerate at the same time, whether in a car or on a bike, because often the guy in front of you would go for the same hole in the traffic as you are, and cut you off either intentionally or unintentionally.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts