Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got my new Dunlop Roadsmarts on and sonic springs for the forks. I decided to take it for a ride. Knowing full well that the tire were very greasy and that i needed to go very slow. So I set off with my buddy down the street. I stop at the sign and proceed to make a slow right turn. All of a sudden the rear end slides out and I attempt to counter steer, but to no avail. A second later I'm standing there looking at the bike on the ground. The worst part is that the forks scratched the rocker panel on my neighbors car!!!! The bike parts can all be easily replaced (**** dented tank!), but I'm really ****** that it hit his car! I knocked on his door, but he never came so I wrote a note and pushed it through the front mail slot. I called and he didn't answer. I also went back later and Knocked, but he still wasn't home. I just want to get that part of the situation out of the way.

I need suggestions on what to clean the tires with to help get rid of this oily stuff on them.

I also needs parts, I posted in the wanted section, please contact if you can help get me these parts. Handle bars, clutch lever, shifter assembly set (bent pretty good). Thank you.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Ouch. Glad you are ok. I'm anal but I use an orbital sander to scrub in my tires.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Ouch. No framesliders I take it with the damage to the tank?

I got a new tire last fall, and was pretty careful with it for the first couple hundred miles. I also 'washed' it with warm soapy water and a rough cloth to get some of that slick stuff off of it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Not Armor All, that's for sure!

I use some rough grit sandpaper on them to try to take off that surface layer of gunk. Seems to work.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Sorry about your bike, man. I almost lost my bike in the cul-de-sac going 5 mph on a new back tire. Perhaps I will apply some sandpaper to my tire tonight......

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
you must have gased it pretty roughly. Racers take brand new tires straight onto the track all the time, they don't even peel the stickers off.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was probably doing 3-5mph. It's amazing how much force can be created. I had frame sliders that were old and the one that hit exploded. The bars bent in and that's what dented the tank. I'm gonna scrub them after I get all the new parts on the bike.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
you must have gased it pretty roughly. Racers take brand new tires straight onto the track all the time, they don't even peel the stickers off.
Honestly, it was barely anything, which is why I was stunned. I was watching out for it and it came out like butter!

·
Registered
998 Posts
Use asphault. Tires heat up faster by accelaration decelaration so gently speed up and slow down.

Exactly my point.
Racers take brand new tires straight onto the track all the time, they don't even peel the stickers off.

What multiplies your problem is that you are in what appears to be southeast Michigan according to your avatar. Cold, wet, and covered in salt.

Sanders, Degreasers, Brake clean its all a waste the oil on your tire is from the rubber and the tire emits that as it wears its just there is too much when a tire is brand new just starting and stopping heats a tire up to get it off the rubber. There is a reason they do not make a new tire break in spray "its not necessary"

Sorry about your fall, hope everything works out, and hope the neighbor isn't a D....

·
Registered
714 Posts
A Michelin factory rep told me a spray of brake cleaner on a rag, then wiped on the tire will speed up initial scrub-in. He did say NOT to spray directly on the tire.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts