Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I smashed into the hind quarters of a deer on the freeway going to work early in the morning. I was thrown from my bike and the bike ran into a ditch and did a few flips. I'm semi mechanically inclined, but need big time help figuring out what the names of the parts I'm missing are called. I also need some guidance as to where I can source these parts. I live in Canada, and I understand spare parts are harder to come by so any tips or recommendations are welcomed.

Here's a couple pictures I snapped of the bike.

From what I can see, I'll have to replace:

- front shocks (bent)
- rear shocks (bottom part snapped off spring support)
- entire front end minus the gauge
- rear subframe
- everything attached to the rear subframe (need help here)
- main seat
- electronic stuff (another question mark)
- clutch lever
- mirrors
- front and rear turn signals
- front tire (lacerations from front fender)
- front fender
- radiator

If you can help me find out what else I'm missing, especially things I haven't mentioned I'd be grateful!

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
honestly bud, It would cost you more to fix from what it looks like, sorry about your bike. At least your alive man

·
Registered
57 Posts
That is some smashed! Hope you're better than your bike.
I wish I had parts lying around to help out. All I have is trivial stuff like rear fender and chain guard. Not sure what TO has for bike wreckers, but sonic cycle in London has always been a good source for me for parts.
Good Luck

·
Registered
57 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,471 Posts
I'd have to agree that the damage is probably too great to warrant repairing the bike unless you can get the parts super cheap. If you live near a motorcycle salvage yard and luck into finding a totaled SV that still has the undamaged parts you need, then it might make sense. Paying retail would be prohibitively expensive and just replacing the bike would probably be significantly cheaper. I hope you had insurance that will help cover buying a replacement bike.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your help guys. I did not have collision insurance because here in Ontario, anybody who's under 25 pays a serious premium for any engine displacement 600ccs and over. I was 2 weeks away from my 25th birthday, at which time I would have added collision and comprehensive insurance to my policy. Too bad.

But IF I was to replace parts, what would I have to replace? And around how much do you think it would run me? Assuming I can figure out how to repair the bike, since it seems like the motor, tranny and gears are fine.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Man sorry to hear about that. Thank goodness your ok though. Looks like you have a lot of cosmetic damage with some serious rear frame issues. You don't even have the rear frame structure other than the swingarm. You can buy a replacement fiberglass fairing kit for a couple hundred plus mirrors and other crap like levers for about a hundred. Were you able to find the seat and fender frame. For an 07 should be worth the rebuild. Tho from the pictures the rear tire looks kinda jammed forward abit.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
**** dude, congratulations on making it out of that one.

I have some SV stuff for sale. From the list, there's stock levers, front fender and stock rear shock.

If you do decide to rebuild the bike, let me know and the parts are yours in exchange for some donuts from timmys.

Unfortunately I sold my stock front forks a couple of weeks ago, otherwise those would've had your name on them.

If you're looking to just get the bike road-worthy, I say you get some forks (I have spare top/bottom triples), whatever headlight you can find (I've got a couple ****ty ones lying around) and slap on a DIY chopped subframe that's just a seat w/ a brake light, signals and plate.

I can wrench, send me a PM if you need any assistance at all with the rebuild.

Is the swing arm at that funny angle because it isn't connected to the rear shock anymore?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I might be able to source a subframe from ebay. The rear tire looks jammed forward because the rear suspension busted so the swing arm is floppy. When they hoisted it the tire came up with the swing arm. Under normal circumstances the suspension would have kept the swing arm and the tire from coming so far up. That's why it looks awkward.

I realize this might cost as much as buying a new bike for a few grand but if I can make it a project, then it'll be fun to rebuild it and ride it again someday.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Glad you are ok...
As others have said, you would be better off finding a donor bike with a good frame, swing arm, and front end and then swapping out your motor.
I doubt the frame and swing arm are still straight based on those photos...
Looks like the harness might be FUBAR as well....

·
Premium Member
10,443 Posts
looks like you need a gas tank too. Your stuff must've dented it something fierce.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
I have a complete K7 SVS front end in the same color (Candy Sonoma Red) sitting in my garage that I would be willing to sell you. I swapped over to a GSXR front suspension/brakes and a naked front end.
I have the complete front fairing, headlights, etc, and the forks, brakes, rotors, wheel, tire, fender, etc.

PM me if you are interested and I will go into more detail and send you pics.

Glad you survived without major injury!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm interested! I still have to figure out finances, but as it stands I should be down for that sale.

Here are fresh pictures I took today after getting it back from the yard.

\

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Darn, I hoped it wouldn't be that bad. Which parts do you guys think I'd be able to salvage?

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
I think the engine and the stuff above (tbodies, airbox) will be safe.

Other than that, I imagine everything else is toast. I'd really check the rear wheel and make sure there are no bends, as well as the front. Inspect all the welds on the frame for cracks and around the steering stops.

I've done some big projects, but I don't think this would be one I'd ever want to take on. I think this bike is ready to go to motorcycle heaven.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Swing arm looks like it might be **** eyed a bit, or maybe just everything else is. Sounds like it's time to set aside an entire day just to inspect what's intact.

If the frame, engine, wheels and swing arm are still good I think a cheap rat-SV is still within reach. Just be absolutely positive whatever is good, is definitely good. Now's a good time to decide whether you're into the project or not. If so, get a professional to inspect the frame and other possible survivors, then base the rest of your decision from there.

edit: may be of some use later, here's a local selling his old front end. I met him on Friday when I sold him some clip ons. Good guy.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts