Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rode myself into a ditch on the side of the highway, impact at around 60-80km/hr. You guys think this is salvageable? I’m thinking I’ll need at minimum an aftermarket handlebar, dash/cluster, and radiator. I have the dash/cluster that came off of my bike, I wonder if I can reattach that. The tac needle is loose though, moves around a lot. Bike mechanically runs fine otherwise.

What do you guys think?

·
Super Moderator
6,870 Posts
I might expect some frame damage at the steering stem. Looks like it took a pretty good hit in that area.

You would want to check carefully before putting it back together.

Hopefully you are OK.

Too bad, that looked like a very clean '06n. I have one just like it.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Like Jay said, the steering stem and frame need to be closely examined for damage. The air gap between the frame and fuel tank looks very worrisome. Also the forks and rims need to be closely examined. I would have a professional mechanic do it who is experienced with repair estimates for insurance claims.

Re. the loose tach needle, you could maybe salvage parts from a used gauge cluster so you can keep your odometer reading. Once you get there you can check my build log for links how to set the tach needle accurately. More worrisome would be if the connector tab that locks to the gauge got ripped out, which would mean finding a new connector (Cycleterminal is the place to go) since it probably won't stay plugged in. If the connector pins on the gauge itself are damaged it's probably easier to just replace the whole gauge.

I'd say remove all the dirt, clean up your bike, check for any leaks (clean your air box) and take some pictures of all the bent and destroyed parts. That would give us a better picture what the cost and effort of replacing them would be.

·
Super Moderator
6,870 Posts
Like Jay said, the steering stem and frame need to be closely examined for damage. The air gap between the frame and fuel tank looks very worrisome. Also the forks and rims need to be closely examined. I would have a professional mechanic do it who is experienced with repair estimates for insurance claims.

(SNIP)
That caught my eye as well.

Suggests the steering head area may be twisted.

·
Super Moderator
8,340 Posts
forks, lever, headlight, cluster, radiator maybe... not a particularly hard fix, but you're looking at close to a thousand bucks on the used market, and definitely totalled if insurance is involved

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sad - no one offered you any sympathy.

Heartless bunch ;-(

Sorry you came off.

I've been doing up a wrecked SV same model (but blue) as yours.

I've fitted a new radiator from China (NZ $47), bars (NZ $76), footbrake lever etc.
Parts are cheap - but as others have said - frame and forks are the main worry and must be right!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts